• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ash VS Bea! Overcome Octolock! (1128)

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
I liked this episode, first of all, amazing continuity and second, the battle was fun, Ash was really competent and I liked the strategy Ash and Riolu used, however just like the Korrina battle in ep25, the end was rushed and sloppy, it needed more time to end properly.
There's no point to showing Satoshi returning to the Super-class. It would simply be repeating the drama of Episode #36, in which Satoshi mentally recovered from the first battle with Saitou.
Completely agree, ash slipping into normal class was meant to show how much of a slump he had fallen into and how he wasnt thinking straight, not about him having to overcome the normal class again, that special korrina battle was it for the normal class, considering he mentally recovered in ep36, it wasnt needed, although then again, a frame of dragonite and farfetch'd beating two pokemon in quick succession wouldnt have hurt too much

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
Now that I think of it, how many times has Pikachu actually KO'd someone with Quick Attack?

Eneci

FrogadierMasterLucas
Pikachu got one hella of a beating. They bit overpowered Grapploct in that one. Like how stupid was it from Ash to go into close combat.

I am glad they didn’t give Ash the win. A rivalry with Bea could be interesting with them heading towards the peak qualifying for Top8 or even the Final Tournament.

dman_dustin

Now that I think of it, how many times has Pikachu actually KO'd someone with Quick Attack?

There's been a couple times of which I can't remember the Pokemon but I do rememer noting Pikachu defeating it with quick attack as its pretty rare or uncommon. But yeah itwas nice to see it again.

Animac

Why did friggin Chuck's battle get a flashback but Korrina didn't? Is it because of Gen 1-2 Nostalgia????? For a battle no one cares about??
Ash was pretty diferent back then, they would probably have to draw him in the current style... Do you really want them to make XY ash on this artstyle? I certainly wouldn't pull the pin on that grenade.

Last edited:
I meant more in the context that Bea to be ranked so high, a rank I'd expect for Elite 4 members seems strange to me, I just really hope this series doesn't skip ash battling and beating Elite 4 members if this is how they are going with in respect to rankings.
In the game, Bea is one of the 4 participants in Galar Champion Cup (Galar version of Elite Four). The others are Nessa and Raihan + Allister (Shield counterpart to Bea).
What about Electro Web?

I think Electro Web and Quick Attack is mainly tactical moves while Thunderbolt and Iron Tail is the finishig moves.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
In the game, Bea is one of the 4 participants in Galar Champion Cup (Galar version of Elite Four). The others are Nessa and Raihan + Allister (Shield counterpart to Bea).

What about Electro Web?

I think Electro Web and Quick Attack is mainly tactical moves while Thunderbolt and Iron Tail is the finishig moves.
I think Scotbunny is Pikachu's only EWeb KO. I was asking about QA since it's been here for much longer, and this is the first time on recent memory that it has finished a fight

I think Scotbunny is Pikachu's only EWeb KO
I completely forgot... lol

Speaking of Electro Web, I wonder how Grapploct can deal with it.

Imo, Ash made a mistake in calling Iron Tail to counter Octolock, he should have told Pikachu to evade it with Quick Attack then fire Electro Web to trap it and use another Thunderbolt to create Takoyaki.

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
No S-word Sherlock. It's not like I didn't figure that out shortly after posting (but still wanted to make a silly joke regardless).
Notice how we are on a forum where people have been known to criticize episodes for flaws that don't even exist. (See: The Feebas episode having people seriously complaining that the episode "claimed Ash had no Water Pokémon," which was not a thing the episode ever said.) It's generally pretty hard to discern joke criticisms from problems that people actually have when a lot of the problems people actually have are themselves equally Cinema Sins-y.

STICKTOPIA

The best excitement for me was seeing bayleef mentioned. I already knew pikachu was going to defeat hitmontop but wow a draw. And also we don’t know ash’s current ranking because apparently he’s back into the great class. I know the move octolok(or however it’s spelled) lowers defense but I didn’t expect riolu taken out in one hit. Seeing Bea being nice and feeding riolu and pikachu caught me way off guard. I also figured riolu wouldn’t evolve here.

CupidKirby

It's nice to see Ash getting a serious female rival.

It looks like you can only battle people in your own class and draws don't affect ranks. That makes sense. Then there's the little hint we got towards Bea's backstory. I'm glad we're getting more lore as the series goes on.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
It's nice to see Ash getting a serious female rival.
While it's nice, the only problem is that it isn't an OC per se. Bea simply falls into the right category just to make Riolu relevant (which is how I see that's the only reason she's enduring being a recurring opponent in this tourney) because she's an official Gym Leader; the one thing the writers can't avoid having Ash face (even if it's just one battle). Otherwise, all his important, fully shown battles are against male OCs.

Also, there's the fact Ash is fighting a female Fighting-type Gym Leader with an arc who's roughly close to his age. This is the same story with a Riolu/Lucario somewhere in it I've heard twice before. It's funny Chuck is here, because he is the absolute worst on the side of focus for male Fighting-type Gym Leaders (Brawly got lucky).

Last edited:

nickdt

So apparently and according to Chuck, you can only challenge PWC participants in the same rank.

Thats a problem: If you are placed last in the Super Rank because you just entered, you drop down instantly again if someone from Normal rank progresses. Which means you also cannot enter Master Rank, because you can't challenge someone in Master Rank, so Leon and Raihan shouldn't even be in Master Rank to begin with.

Zweilous

Go-ing for Gold
One minor nitpick I had with this episode was how Chuck said his energy came from eating sweets. I don't mind it as much since it was meant to set up Bea's love for them, but I thought his energy came from eating well (his wife's cooking), training right, & keeping focused.
He probably eats well and trains, too. But the games establish that he has a sweet tooth. Either he genuinely gets energy from them (I like to snack after a work-out too), or he just wants an excuse to have snacks.

British Soul

Top Hat Regulator
Notice how we are on a forum where people have been known to criticise episodes for flaws that don't even exist. (See: The Feebas episode having people seriously complaining that the episode "claimed Ash had no Water Pokémon," which was not a thing the episode ever said.) It's generally pretty hard to discern joke criticisms from problems that people actually have when a lot of the problems people actually have are themselves equally Cinema Sins-y.
Notice how hard it is to make a harmless joke without people jumping down your throats?. With regards to people criticising non-existent flaws in an episode, it's clear people will find ANY excuse to be cinema sins-y. Yes, I make silly observations, but since they exist in a sea of criticism, I know people will criticise first, ask questions later.

dman_dustin

Thats a problem: If you are placed last in the Super Rank because you just entered, you drop down instantly again if someone from Normal rank progresses. Which means you also cannot enter Master Rank, because you can't challenge someone in Master Rank, so Leon and Raihan shouldn't even be in Master Rank to begin with.

As I said this has been primary issue with the show that people rank down as a result of a battle that they had no influence in it.

Maybe there's battles always happening so if someone ranks up you won't rank down while someone loses their class is the only way I imagine being able to rationalize this.

However that then has issues with master class if Raihan lost to Leon does that mean mystery X goes to fill a spot in master class for winning whereas Raihan goes back to Ultra class?

But where's the cut off point? Who of ultra rank gets to swap with a loser of master class? Is it someone who beats Rank 9?