• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ash VS Bea! Overcome Octolock! (1128)

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Very happy with the battle, couldn’t help but smile the whole time Pikachu was absolutely embarrassing Hitmontop. Shocked it ended in a tie but I was hoping for a G-Max Rematch in Galar anyway so this is great too!

I will say, and I might be bias just because Bea is one of my favorites, but I really appreciate the writers turning her into a rival for Ash which I was hoping for as soon as she was first revealed. Female rivals don’t get enough love in this series so to give Ash two who give him such a challenge whenever he battles them is a joy. I love that they showed off Bea’s more laidback side, because no matter what, she’s still just a kid too who grew up with a strict lifestyle.

And Chuck! What a guy. To be as laidback as him in the Fighting-type profession must be great, and him remembering Ash and how he got sweeped by Bayleef was a treat.
Two female rivals? Who’s the other one?

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
I like Bae tbh. She's calm and focused when in combat although I'm not really fond of her throwing kicks and punches while ordering her Pokemons to make their moves, but I guess it's part of her training. She acts more normal while eating even praising the foods. She had traits of my ideal fanfic female character, but I wished Bae could chill with other girls. No stuffs like shipping bait or acting like a sore loser upon a defeat.

Loved Grapploct constantly hitting Pikachu as it felt more like a fighting game material with creative combos than turn-based RPG material like the mainstream Pokemon games. Yeah Pikachu is a veteran and it lost, but even veterans could have bad days when they're not in top shape, as I can share these experiences when I played the arcade dancing games. Oh, and Riolu fought well despite the Double KOs, especially after what Grapploct fought against before.

Glad that Chuck could recognize Ash and show the audience a flashback of their last encounter with Ash's Bayleaf, which means there's still some of continuities after all, along with some camoes like the Alola gang a few episodes before.

Good episode. It's focused on Ash battling but I can deal with this when the Pokemons outside of Pikachu got their share of spotlights.

dman_dustin

Bayleef may have showed in a flashback, but the real good treatment is her returning to fight, which...I doubt.

A shame Bea didn't smile first because she wasn't defeated, but because she likes cake.

Man, at this point, we're never getting rid of Bea soon enough to debut the rest of the Galar Gym Leaders.

It hasn't been a year since the first episode especially since the covid hiatus, people need to chill a bit with saying Bea is showing up too much.

God forbid the writers put effort into characters we will barely see in the long run.

Oh no 3 spaced episodes, Bea is almost as bad as Korrina's consecutive episodes, Why not show off the other characters?

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Continuity YES!!!!! Now we have Kanto, johto,kalos and alola continuity, and considering they showed an obscure match like Chuck's in a flashback, I'm confident we will get hoenn sinnoh and unova continuity soon too :)
So glad riolu didn't evolve yet and ash tied. Idk how to feel with Bea being ranked so high, ash better fight some elite 4 members soon is all I'm saying

ShadowForce720

Continuity YES!!!!! Now we have Kanto, johto,kalos and alola continuity, and considering they showed an obscure match like Chuck's in a flashback, I'm confident we will get hoenn sinnoh and unova continuity soon too :)
So glad riolu didn't evolve yet and ash tied. Idk how to feel with Bea being ranked so high, ash better fight some elite 4 members soon is all I'm saying

He’s only in the Super Class right now so I’m not sure why your so insistent on him fighting Elite 4 Members soon. I would think it would be better to hold off on actual Elite 4 members until he gets to the Hyper Class, or at the very least upper Super Class.

There isn’t really any reason they should be rushing to Elite 4 Members right now.

dman_dustin

I am largely disappointed with Dragonite and Farfetch'd, I was at least hoping we'd see Farfetch'd defeating an opponent in the very beginning of the episode to make up for it not being in the battle.

Dragonite as well using a quick dragon claw for victory.

But of course they couldn't be bothered to show us battles except mostly important ones.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
ffs Ash, why aren't you taking Go with you on your travels to other regions? Just think of all the Johto Pokemon Go could've caught while you battled Chuck

You are clearly joking but a part of me really wish could have been introduced earlier. I'd love to see how he would impact group dynamics on seasons like AG, DP and XY

Soniman

Break the Limit
Why did friggin Chuck's battle get a flashback but Korrina didn't? Is it because of Gen 1-2 Nostalgia????? For a battle no one cares about??

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Poor Farfetch’d. I know they’re building up to a final battle but wish it got to participate here. Also dislike how there was no focus on it or overcoming Octolock in between episodes. Got to see Chuck again which is my favorite part of the episode. Who would've thought Bayleef was the first non Kanto/Alola Pokémon to make a cameo in Journeys? I like Bea but I'm glad we're not keeping this as a constant plot point so we can get to other characters. Can't way to see GMax Machamp. Calling him Riolu boy isn't inaccurate lol

Leonhart

Imagineer
I wasn't pleased about the tie, although I was at least glad that the writer avoided a very cliche evolution-based win by not having Riolu evolve to beat Otosupus. And as much as I liked seeing Shijima again, I felt that the episode would've worked just as well if the match had taken place at any other dojo.

Kazuniya

read/watch dungeon meshi
Why did friggin Chuck's battle get a flashback but Korrina didn't? Is it because of Gen 1-2 Nostalgia????? For a battle no one cares about??
I'm confused. Why isn't your response to this "fuck yeah, continuity!"? They even acknowledged Bayleef's existence. Why are you salty that Korrina didn't get a flashback instead? WTF

Let's not forget that Korrina is a PWC competitor who already got her own episode, a flashback in the Bea debut episode, and will likely return again in the future because Lucario and PWC. So what is there to be unsatisfied about????

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
I'm confused. Why isn't your response to this "fuck yeah, continuity!"? They even acknowledged Bayleef's existence. Why are you salty that Korrina didn't get a flashback instead? WTF
This more or less has to do with the fact Chuck is the most forgettable Gym Leader of the Johto bunch and the Japanese version (apparently) didn't attempt to contact his previous voice actor, who is a big deal and an actual martial artist from what I heard. And yet, Chuck gets the honor of a small still flashback.

Their priorities are just odd, really.

Kazuniya

read/watch dungeon meshi
This more or less has to do with the fact Chuck is the most forgettable Gym Leader of the Johto bunch and the Japanese version (apparently) didn't attempt to contact his previous voice actor, who is a big deal and an actual martial artist from what I heard. And yet, Chuck gets the honor of a small still flashback.
Sorry, I'll take a battle from distant past over Korrina's gym battle, because the former is super old and shows the writers making some kind of effort to establish continuity by referencing actual past events whereas I don't think we need a flashback for Korrina, girl who got more than enough screentime in XY, and will return again in Pocket Monsters. Like enough already.

The lone fact they bothered to include this flashback should be celebrated. Like this fandom really surprises me. Everyone is bitching and moaning about continuity, continuity this and continuity that, and when they actually make some effort to acknowledge a battle from distant past, people....again bitch and moan because....why exactly? Because they don't care for Chuck? Damned if you, damned if you don't.

"Ah yes, I want all the continuity...but, no wait, not THAT continuity WTF ARE YOU DOING, I DON'T CARE FOR THAT BIT OF CONTINUITY"

It's simply annoying.