• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ash VS Misty! A One-on-One on the Beach!! (1227)

GMax Helios

(Last episode seen in the "previous series" was Greninja training Lucario. I say this because I was suppose to give my thoughts on episodes in order from that point onward, but clearly that restriction is ridiculous so I'll break it for this "Ash special" series and return to the main PJ series later.)
Don't have the time to touch on other parts I dislike and like, but if I don't start even actively making small/singular subject posts I'll just end up posting everything far more months later.

Something that has been annoying me immensely since the original series is Ash losing to traveling companions/rivals specifically after winning some big competitive event, such as the Orange League, Battle Frontier, other Leagues, etc. I cannot stand the concept and frequency of this. It feels intentional rather than a convenience.

Losing to Gary after beating Drake at the Orange League. Losing to Gary, again, after beating Brandon and the entirety of Battle Frontier (to be partly fair, Pikachu is usually useless against other electric types, especially heavyweights, one reason why I think Quick Attack, which has never been that good including speed wise, should have been replaced generations ago). Whoever else inbetween, with exceptions like Iris and GVII Misty not counting as the story needed Ash's victory to progress and the newest generation-related thing (in this case Z-ring) to 1-up the one before it (Mega Evolution), respectively. (Blazkien beating Charizard, Electrivire beating Pikachu, Dawn beating May, Iris beating Dawn, etc, type of thing.)

And now GVIII Misty... I was already prepared for Ash to lose, because I knew they weren't giving him a Clauncher (if they replaced Totadile with Kingler then maybe I would have at least considered it slightly) and the episode essentially being a direct continuation of the same type of episode in Johto with Totadile (who's disappointingly used in this episode merely to foreshadow and tease us that "You won last time Ash, remember? It's Misty's turn this time"). The lost is worse given they've done this not just after he defeated the strongest champion (and more champions before) but also in a special series focused on him. Could have made it slightly less disappointing by making the prize a mythical or legendary water-type to put Misty in some kind of fully spirited mode driven by her pure life-long passion for water types—let alone a M/L one—and throw in some noticeable luck factor that Ash (has had so many himself) couldn't react to. Otherwise, the fight the way it is makes it come across as if she's on-par with Ash like Iris and other Elite Trainers, which she isn't. Another reason im mad about the lost is because they keep doing Ash's Hoenn Pokemon who aren't Sceptile (and well Glalie) dirty following the the BF. (Guess the series is going to end on that note of them all suffering such apparent loses.)
What makes the loss even worse is that, unless Ash will be battling a non villain in the next episode, depending on if you count Brock in the Hatterene episode (even then, it was unfinished because Brock snapped out of it, plus did Pikachu even do anything?), that is the very last battle with a non villain trainer we'll ever see Ash in.

Shego

The Pokémon Explorer
It’s nice that Misty got herself a new Pokémon.

Ash genuinely give Corphish a chance to battle it out. Perhaps he went easy on Misty at least a little bit due to his knowledge of her love for water pokemon. Don’t get me wrong. Corphish’s a nice Pokémon who could be at the Pokémon League Conference level. It’s just that he’s not at the same level as Ash’s Pikachu and his other Pokémon who are at the M8 lv and champion level.

Pikachu was initially wanted to join the battle. And if Ash were to use Pikachu from the beginning, there’s no way Misty’s Politoed would have won against the mon who’d took down not only Leon’s Charizard. But also Cynthia’s Gastrodon. And Steven’s Mega Metagross. Not to mention Tapu Koko at the Alola League.

The same thing can be said for Ash’s Lucario who can not only to mega evolve. But to give off an incredible aura. And his aura has improved thanks to Greninja’s training.

The only reason why Misty beat Ash in that episode is because he genuinely pick the Pokémon that has less battling experience than Pikachu, Charizard, Snorlax, Greninja, his Journey team, Kalos team and Sinnoh team.

To tell you the truth, after I seen this upcoming title episode such as “Ash VS Misty! Seaside One on One!”, I originally thought Misty can’t beat Ash anymore due to his battle experience with Steven, Cynthia and Leon at the PWC series Master Eight Tournament.

Misty may be a Gym Leader. And she has a Mega Gyarados. But I strongly believe that Misty don’t stand a chance against any other regional champions, including who I’d mentioned earlier as far as her current level is concerned.

Ash and Misty didn’t battle for the title of “Monarch”. Just for a wild, strong Clauncher. It wasn’t like an official battle anyhow. If it is like a real battle, things would have been different. If Misty wants to become a new monarch, well then, she have to start from the bottom such as the Normal Class. And climbing up to the rankings in the next upcoming season of the PWC in time. Only then she Misty will meet Ash in the Master Class. Just like he did when he first started after his unofficial battle with Leon.

Therefore, Ash Ketchum happened to be still the current new monarch.

Don’t you agree?

Shego

The Pokémon Explorer
I agree...that Ash let his reserves really go. Badly.
Like I said before, if Misty really want to be the World’s Best Everything, or should I say the new “monarch”, then she have to start from the bottom and work her way up to the Master Class of PWC series. And that’s no cakewalk.

Do you think Misty would be up for a challenge like this? Ultra Class can be harsh as it got some powerful Gym Leaders like Volkner, Korrina, Bea, and Raihan. And some Elite Four members like Flint and Drasna.

Sonic Boom

@JohanSSB4 Twitter
It is stated in the games themselves that Raihan can go become a Champion in literally any other region, but he simply chooses not to because he values his rivalry with Leon too much to ever leave Galar and deprive himself of that constant source of competition. So right there, this Gym Leader is on the level of Cynthia, Steven, and the others. He just couldn't prove it in the anime itself because Ash got to him first and kicked him out of the final bracket. As far as the level of a Gym Leader's capabilities is concerned, Misty's ceiling is theoretically the same as Raihan's, which is Masters 8.

I think the episode did a good job in balancing out Misty's and Ash's positions of power here. While Ash did send Corphish out to battle Misty for Clauncher, Misty did send out Politoed first; in other words, Misty considered Politoed capable of handling whatever Pokemon Ash would subsequently choose. And yes that includes Pikachu himself, the Pokemon that broke her otherwise unbeatable combo with Mega Gyarados - She's not unaware of what Pikachu can do. Meanwhile, Ash didn't choose Corphish because he thought it would be more sporting or "fair", he chose Corphish because he was also clued in on its newly formed bond with Clauncher - Ash valued his Pokemon's feelings over the actual outcome of the battle, even if he and Corphish would still like to come out of it with a win. As a result, any power scaling debate comes off as largely irrelevant: An experienced and in-the-know Misty thought she was good enough to take on Ash's peak Pokemon, but Ash is coming from a more worldly position here and is focused more on giving Corphish an opportunity to prove itself, and that's as far as the episode is willing to entertain this subject. Is Corphish near the same level as Ash's Masters 8 squad? Is Misty's confidence misplaced? That's something you have to answer on your own, because the episode itself does not care.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
I mean...all of Ash's battles are just to give a certain member of his team the chance to prove themselves, especially the last one. Everyone else is filler trying to carry that member to the last bout.

Shego

The Pokémon Explorer
It is stated in the games themselves that Raihan can go become a Champion in literally any other region, but he simply chooses not to because he values his rivalry with Leon too much to ever leave Galar and deprive himself of that constant source of competition. So right there, this Gym Leader is on the level of Cynthia, Steven, and the others. He just couldn't prove it in the anime itself because Ash got to him first and kicked him out of the final bracket. As far as the level of a Gym Leader's capabilities is concerned, Misty's ceiling is theoretically the same as Raihan's, which is Masters 8.

I think the episode did a good job in balancing out Misty's and Ash's positions of power here. While Ash did send Corphish out to battle Misty for Clauncher, Misty did send out Politoed first; in other words, Misty considered Politoed capable of handling whatever Pokemon Ash would subsequently choose. And yes that includes Pikachu himself, the Pokemon that broke her otherwise unbeatable combo with Mega Gyarados - She's not unaware of what Pikachu can do. Meanwhile, Ash didn't choose Corphish because he thought it would be more sporting or "fair", he chose Corphish because he was also clued in on its newly formed bond with Clauncher - Ash valued his Pokemon's feelings over the actual outcome of the battle, even if he and Corphish would still like to come out of it with a win. As a result, any power scaling debate comes off as largely irrelevant: An experienced and in-the-know Misty thought she was good enough to take on Ash's peak Pokemon, but Ash is coming from a more worldly position here and is focused more on giving Corphish an opportunity to prove itself, and that's as far as the episode is willing to entertain this subject. Is Corphish near the same level as Ash's Masters 8 squad? Is Misty's confidence misplaced? That's something you have to answer on your own, because the episode itself does not care.
I see. I already knew Ash put his Pokémon’s feelings before his own. That’s sounds like him. You made a good point. In this episode, it doesn’t matter if he wins or lose. It’s how to he value friendship with them. This has nothing to do with the title of monarch or PWC series because the current season was already over.

Starswirl Pikachu

Whoa, hang on for a minute. Ash suddenly has a different team swapped out just like that? Even though it is true that he has plenty of pokemon in storage, this sort of off screen shenanigans confuses and angers me! How much time has passed since the previous episode? Which pokemon center did he go to? While these details are not necessarily critical, I think that their omission detracts from the pacing of this story. Having got that out of the way, there is still the rest of the episode to get to.

After a very long time, I was happy to see Ash get ready to catch a pokemon! Another good surprise moments later, is the appearance of Misty! One would kind of think a reunion like this would be more dramatic but oh well. (shrugs)
I think Misty's story about not being able to capture the water crab is a little suspicious since her pokemon should be more than powerful enough but then again I guess it could be a rare breed or something. Corphish had a good showing here, even though it did not win in the battle against Misty.

I will say that I like how the episode ended, with Misty briefly stalking Ash, just like old times!