• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ash VS Misty! A One-on-One on the Beach!! (1227)

Sham

The Guardian of War
One of his companions actually has Pokemon scaleable to his team that he used to win the PWC Master Class, Misty as a Gym Leader should be able to defeat a reserve with lesser feats. Also even if we go with the "it's weird power scaling", let's not pretend that somehow Serena didn't keep up with Ash's Pikachu right after the Kalos League so Misty defeating Ash after the PWC with a Pokemon he didn't even use is not that odd.

Risrhayne

Kinda surprised people are up in arms about Corphish losing. Politoad is Misty’s ace at the gym that’s constantly being challenged so they’re never going long without flexing the battling muscle. Corphish hasn’t thrown down in a commanded battle for quite a few regions. Regardless of Ash being a world champion, that’s like expecting an Olympic Gold gymnast to get a perfect score suddenly using their old middle school equipment.

KukuiFanatic501

I mean, whatever, he's still the actual World Champion and he was using a rusty Corphish but still

lol
In fairness the battle was a lot closer than I thought lol, people were telling me Corphish lost in one hit.

THAT I was concerned about.
Not the Pokemon itself, but its claw.

"Its claws occasionally fall off, and it keeps a low profile until they grow back. The meat of its claws is so delicious!"
"Clauncher's claws can fall off during battle, but they'll regenerate. The meat inside the claws is popular as a delicacy in Galar."
"Clauncher's claws will regrow if they fall off. The meat inside the claws is edible, but it has a distinct flavor that doesn't appeal to all tastes."
Is this actually the first episode where someone blatantly comes out and says they want to eat part of a Pokémon? IIRC?
Never said she didn't win fair and square. Just didn't expect them to have him lose. I knew he wasn't going to get Clauncher because I thought he would just let Misty have it anyway. It's a win for people who don't like Ash so I am satisfied.
Ah yes because Ash haters need some kind of “win”

Anyway, I’m not really seeing the big deal behind the loss? Misty has been consistently a gym leader since she left the anime ages ago, so she’s had a clear development of power to this point (enhanced with SM letting her get a mega)

Corphish has been out of action since Battle Frontier and while learning new moves indicates he wasn’t just slacking around doing nothing, solo training only goes so far compared to consistently battling.

And it’s not like Misty beat his Lucario or Gengar. Ash losing with a rusty or newbie mon doesn’t devalue what his actual championship team did.

Shadao

Aim to be a Pokémon Master
In fairness the battle was a lot closer than I thought lol, people were telling me Corphish lost in one hit.

THAT I was concerned about.

Is this actually the first episode where someone blatantly comes out and says they want to eat part of a Pokémon? IIRC?

Ah yes because Ash haters need some kind of “win”

Anyway, I’m not really seeing the big deal behind the loss? Misty has been consistently a gym leader since she left the anime ages ago, so she’s had a clear development of power to this point (enhanced with SM letting her get a mega)

Corphish has been out of action since Battle Frontier and while learning new moves indicates he wasn’t just slacking around doing nothing, solo training only goes so far compared to consistently battling.

And it’s not like Misty beat his Lucario or Gengar. Ash losing with a rusty or newbie mon doesn’t devalue what his actual championship team did.

Remember, the OS trio and Team Rocket once considered eating James's Magikarp when they were stranded in the ocean and starving.

And the Pokedex entry mentions that Farfetch'd makes a delicious meal when cooked with its own leak, and that it's nearly extinct.

vondecayle

Long gone are the days
So they eat pokemon confirmed.

Sonic Boom

@JohanSSB4 Twitter
Ash himself eats a flamebroiled Magikarp in the Ponyta/Rapidash episode. That or its simply a very big cookie or something.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Although the anime likes to point out that Pokemon are eaten, it never explicitly shows a single dang edible Pokemon being eaten.

We also don't even get the traveling cooks to say what they cook beyond being just random soup that doesn't even get to be referred to as "soup" but just unnamed food.

But if said dish has berries in it? Totally named on the spot.

DuquÊ?

Too lazy to pick a pic
Yes, and what happened wasn't right.

Corphish was the pinnacle of power among the oaked water mons. He was their king! Before JN, If Oak were to ever go to the ranch and tell Ash's mons that he needed his strongest water type for a fight, then Kingler, Totodile, Oshawott, Palpitoad and yes, even Buizel, would all turn their heads towards Corphish.

What should've happened was that the match should've been a 2v2. Misty's first Pokemon should've been her Gyarados, who would proceed to get completely destroyed by Corphish in the most one-sided beatdown in the anime's history. Then, a wild Zapdos should've appeared out of nowhere to take Corphish out with a Thunderbolt, and then Totodile could've lost to Politoad.

That would've properly paid respects to the lobster's legacy:cool:
You deserved a like just because your fanfiction gave me a very needed smile.

Eh, I understand Ash choose corphish because it was the most interested to have clauncher join the crew. And yeah, I'm disappointed Ash didn't got it, but, it was a good and fair battle.

Also, the fact Misty was the butt of the joke in the end was compensating enough. :p

British Soul

Top Hat Regulator
Actualy an essay time:
First of all, congrats to Misty for ending Ash's long unbeaten run that spanned TWO YEARS (and five days), which leads me to the below image.
RbeRDGu.png

Didn't think I'd bring this image up again after the Ash vs Leon battle, but it somehow became relevant again in this episode. Context, when the above interview happened in Robot Wars, it was after Razer's victory that advanced them to the grand final of series 6 against a Shiny Charjabug, I mean Tornado... which they lost. This is relevant as Ash's last on-screen battle against a trainer was when he beat Leon and then he goes and loses against Misty in this episode, it's almost as if I was a time-travelling infobroker when I made this image.
In all seriousness, I liked that they showed an Ash L here, and I know that saying that may make me sound like a d-bag following his ascension to world champ 2 months ago, but this episode shows that he isn't infallible, just like how Leon isn't infallible after losing to Ash. Having said that it was a close battle and I liked that Ash himself chose not to use Pikachu to battle Misty, where the opposite happened in EP007 where the latter decided he didn't want to battle her, something that even Daisy pointed out at the end of said episode.
Speaking of the Sensational Sisters, I hope they're doing a good job of looking after the Cerulean Gym, we don't want a repeat of what happened in AG134 where the gym had so many challengers, Daisy considered handing out Cascade badges in the meantime, then again the sisters were left in charge when Misty went to Alola in SM102 (where she mentioned the number of challengers) so I guess it'll be fine.

Dialing backwards into my episode review (which I'll rename "A Clauncher Duel"), this episode certainly felt like an OS episode, between music from said era being used and the many references, like Misty catching Ash with her rod (ala EP001) and her following Ash towards the end of the episode (ala EP003), and the premise of the episode being similar to "A Totodile Duel" (heck Totodile even appeared here too). Not to mention the bickering between Ash and Misty just like old times, it was amusing to see Ash sass Misty by saying Cilan's lure actually catches fish, unlike the lure he got from Misty in AG187 and I initially forgot that when said lure was used in DP034, it didn't hook anything, a nice callback.

We knew from last episode that Ash is rotating his team in the miniseries and this episode further proves that Ash probs isn't going to be seen with a full roster and I suppose all of Ash's Alolan 'mons aren't in Alola no more given Rowlet was shown here, and whilst I'm on the subject of Ash's team this episode, I guess we can add Leavanny to the list of bug-types that don't freak Misty out, and it was sweet of him to comfort Psyduck when the latter thought Pikachu was coming its way instead of Misty.
One thing I do want to bring up regarding Ash's roster this episode is Corphish, and it was nice of him to get spotlight in this episode as with all his appearances post-Sinnoh, he wasn't really doing much, heck when he came back in Sinnoh, he wasn't even used in the Sinnoh League, but I did appreciate that he got a couple of new moves to make up for the lack of training in the last 10+ years, especially since he hadn't learned any new moves since AG. Same with Misty's Politoed, we haven't seen that since the 4Kids era (same with Azurill, this would be their first appearances in the TPCi era) and it has now become the Cerulean Gym's guardian deity, with an essentially enhanced paint job, moves-wise (other than Mega Punch, which carried over from OS).
I enjoyed the dynamic between Clauncher and Corphish, the two forming a bromance and when the former was caught by a very-hungry Team Rocket, who pointed out that Clauncher's claw is a delicacy (and Jessie being correct when she said "it's not like it's yours." when Misty told them to let go), Corphish rescued Clauncher and the pair sent Team Rocket packing... to then get ratio'd by Miraidon in the post credits scene.

Last edited:

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Powerscaling died once Trip's Snivy beat Pikachu and was obliterated with Iris becoming champion and Ash beating her with a team he just caught in the series particularly his freshly caught Dracovish.

That's one reason I seriously think that Lillie can beat Ash, because the Powerscaling doesn't matter at all anymore. :p

Observer

Mostly watching
Powerscaling died once Trip's Snivy beat Pikachu and was obliterated with Iris becoming champion and Ash beating her with a team he just caught in the series particularly his freshly caught Dracovish.

That's one reason I seriously think that Lillie can beat Ash, because the Powerscaling doesn't matter at all anymore. :p

Well in that case Bonnie with a Magikarp can beat Lillie with a simple splash attack :p

KukuiFanatic501

One of his companions actually has Pokemon scaleable to his team that he used to win the PWC Master Class, Misty as a Gym Leader should be able to defeat a reserve with lesser feats. Also even if we go with the "it's weird power scaling", let's not pretend that somehow Serena didn't keep up with Ash's Pikachu right after the Kalos League so Misty defeating Ash after the PWC with a Pokemon he didn't even use is not that odd.
The big difference though between Misty and Serena is that Misty has consistently stayed a gym leader for pretty much the entire series after leaving the anime. Someone staying a gym leader for that long is not just for show. And she got a Mega Evolution before at least SM.

Corphish on the other hand hasn’t been in any major battles since being left behind in BF. He didn’t even help prepare Ash and his JN team for the M8.

Between Corphish being rusty and Misty being on a consistent power climb, it’s honestly not surprising that Corphish lost.

And even with the loss, Corphish didn’t go down in a single hit. I was actually told by friends that that’s what happened and I got pissed until I saw the episode for myself.

KukuiFanatic501

To be fair Pikachu was depowered by Zekrom, a legendary. And the anime has shown that Pikachus power fluctuates when the level of its electrical energy is messed with (the first Hoenn episode and it’s battle with Spiritomb in DP are prime examples)

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
The big difference though between Misty and Serena is that Misty has consistently stayed a gym leader for pretty much the entire series after leaving the anime. Someone staying a gym leader for that long is not just for show. And she got a Mega Evolution before at least SM.

Corphish on the other hand hasn’t been in any major battles since being left behind in BF. He didn’t even help prepare Ash and his JN team for the M8.

Between Corphish being rusty and Misty being on a consistent power climb, it’s honestly not surprising that Corphish lost.

And even with the loss, Corphish didn’t go down in a single hit. I was actually told by friends that that’s what happened and I got pissed until I saw the episode for myself.

Sure Corphish could be rusty, but I personally think the reason why people are mad is because of what it says about the lab pokemon in general, and the potential bad picture it draws.

it's bad enough to just bring reserves back to stand around and do hardly anything ( like Rowlet and Levanny) but most people believe that Ash's lab pokemon should be stronger than they were with Ash due to training with each other, you brought up a good point about Corphish being rusty, but if the lab guys are supposed to be training with each other, then they should not be rusty at all.

so in the end Corphish losing is not a good sign when you look at it from that perspective. Because everyone knows how much of a tank it was back in hoenn/bf, yes this battle was close, but I can at least understand why people don't like the result due it basically saying "Someone you like my come back, but them coming back might not be a good thing, cause they could do nothing or lose." and fans of the pokemon i know would not want that.

I mean I wouldn't exactly like to see ash's Charizard, the only one I care about in the anime come back and just stand there or lose a fight, but it's possible because of what went down here.

To be fair Pikachu was depowered by Zekrom, a legendary. And the anime has shown that Pikachus power fluctuates when the level of its electrical energy is messed with (the first Hoenn episode and it’s battle with Spiritomb in DP are prime examples)

It also was kind of Ash's fault, he should've made sure Pikachu was ok to go, but he didn't, either way what they did in unova was just so dumb.

All be cause the first BW games tried to "reset" the players by forcing them to use only new pokemon until post game.

Also, dude please don't double post.