• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ash VS Misty! A One-on-One on the Beach!! (1227)

ShuckFam

Say whatever you will but I'm glad we have a counter-troll in the form of @ShuckFam for @cricketlaxwolvesbandy 's actions lmao
Earlier it used to be just the latter's amourshipping spam, now we have our counter troll
The hero we didn't deserve, but the one we need
We are opposites in many ways, some may even call us rivals. But I do like Cricket...

Sometimes we just have a difference of opinion on things.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
And thus a new shipping was born known as Shucket shipping.

Shucket shipping: is the belief that Shuckfam and Cricket belong in a romantic relationship together.

XD:plol
Le Bulbapedia be like

ShuckFam's hints:
In Ep 360 they said they "like" Cricket, this can be taken in the romantic context rather than in the platonic sense

Cricket's hints:
In ep361, they blushed. This indicates they might have hidden romantic feelings.

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
Jobless Shipping
Nah...we need a clever 2002 reference for this.

Let's see...

Death to Smoochy? No...too dark. Even if it is a love story.

A Walk to Remember? No...that movie is kind of sweet. Plus Mandy Moore...

I know. Ice Age. We'll call it the Ice Age ship, because they're frozen in the past.

TheCrazyMaster

Welp, I'm late to review this episode. But better late than never, am I right?

Well, compared to to the last episode, this episode was a little more lighthearted considering that it was a more laid back episode with some friendly competition.
Firstly, one of the things that stood out the most about this episode were the interactions between Ash and Misty. Their interactions with each other in this episode feel like they were more or less pulled out of the Original Series, and honestly I was all for it. One of my issues with gen 6-8 anipoke was how passive Ash was (for the most part) and I like when characters in general are able to show that they don't always have to be buddy buddy all the time, as I feel characters showing multiple personality aspects are more engaging to watch. It felt so satisfying to see Ash still has some of that sass, and I feel Misty makes the most sense to show that side to considering their history of friendly/petty rivalry.
Speaking of Misty, I feel like this episode overall stayed true to her character. Not only did her interactions with Ash stand out, but they did a great job showing off her love of water types (no matter how strange it may get), but also showed that she was still very much a capable battler (more on that in a moment). It was also nice that they remembered how her Politoad likes to clap his hands.

There are a few things I'd like to say in regards to Ash's team. First and foremost, this episode seems to more or less confirm that Ash won't have more than 4 other Pokemon on his team per episode, which is concerning to say the least, considering Aim to be a Pokemon Master is supposedly going to show off all of Ash's Pokemon on the poster, and I'm starting to think that some of them might just show up in the last episode during the final narration, not to dissimilar to Butterfree's appearance during the last episode of Journeys. I also feel like this episode more or less confirmed a theory I had in regards to Ash's lineups. Namely that the teams that Ash has for each episode will depend on the episode theme. So since this was a more laid back episode, Ash's lineup consisted of some of his more free spirited Pokemon. It's also for this reason that I don't have as big of an issue with then not doing to much in this episode compared to the last team, though I still feel they could've been more prevalent.
Corphish was definitely the star of the team this episode, and so far the best handled Pokemon in ATBAPM, which I personaly see as a huge plus since Ash's Corphish is actually one of my top two favorite Ash-mons! His personality feels very consistent with his portrayal in AG, being a prideful and somewhat oblivious goofball, casually knocking the other Pokemon aside to go swimming and and developing a petty but passionate rivalry with Clawitzer after their short scuffle, which feels very much in like with how he sometimes developed petty rivalries with other Pokemon like Ash's then Grovyle (which was completely one sided mind you), not to mention crying after losing the battle and his pride. It's also for this reason that I felt it was the perfect Ash-mon to take center stage this episode, as its core personality traits pretty much sum up the rivalry between Ash and Misty, being petty yet wholesome. I also liked that we got to see that it learned new moves since we last saw it, and it further reinforces the notion that Ash's Pokemon do actively train to get stronger. While it was disappointing that it lost, it also feels like it didn't job whatsoever, and gave a good fight in the end, to the point where it nearly won.
Leavanny was handled pretty decently in this episode as well. Its whole thing in BW was that it was that it was very caring to its comrades, which we saw in this episode as it took care of Rowlet throughout the entire episode and comforted Psyduck after it was left hanging (press F to pay respects). Kinda disappointed we didn't get to see it make costumes for the others. I was low key kinda hoping it would make a Hisuian Decidueye costume for Rowlet so that it would have a costume for each Decidueye variant.
Speaking of Rowlet, he was asleep for most of this episode so uh........ *claps hands together* welp, I guess that settles that! Jk, jk, it was nice to see that it still remembered Misty, and it was nice seeing it being taken care of by Leavanny since its aloof nature makes it feel like the perfect Pokemon for Leavanny to take care of. While Rowlet may not be my favorite Ash-mon, I am actually happy it showed up, as before the preview for this episode, I initially feared that all of Ash's Alola Pokemon were all going to be restricted to a single, slice of life Alola episode. Admittedly that's not necessarily bad per say, but I'm glad that Ash's Alola-mons are actually able to leave Alola and see the world and interact with other team members, showing that Alola isn't cut off from the rest of the world.
Totodile was probably handled the worst tbh. Yes, its presence in this episode was a nice nod to its capture episode, but outside of a single scene with its iconic dance, it didn't really do much.

Now let's talk about the Clawitzer subplot and the battle for it. It was pretty funny to see it trolling Ash and Misty before it decided to allow one of them to capture it. I thought it was interesting that this episode was the first one since I think OS that it was fully acknowledged that people in the Pokemon anime do in fact eat Pokemon, and makes Team Rocket's intentions for it feel somewhat darker than usual (even if Clawitzer would've been somewhat fine afterwards).
While I get that some people find it glaring that Ash lost the battle, it should be worth noting that he wasn't using one of his Journey's mons, and that all of Corphish's moves were resisted by Politoad (who hit Corphish with all base damage dealing moves) and even then, Ash's Corphish very nearly won and almost two-shotted a pure water type with water type moves. Plus, I feel Misty got to show off how far she's come by holding her own against Ash.
Now, while I'm glad Ash didn't catch Clawitzer, I feel like narratively it made more sense for him to catch it, as Clawitzer had a far stronger bond with Ash's Corphish than with Misty, who's relationship with Clawitzer could quite litteraly be summarized as "water gun go brrrrrr." It doesn't help that Clawitzer immediately went to train with Corphish afterwards. It's like Misty said, what was the point. If this had been a full on 130+ episode series, then I would've wanted Ash to catch it.

All in all, I thought this episode was enjoyable and better than the last. I'm curious what the next one will bring!

Oh yeah, Latias tease...

We are opposites in many ways, some may even call us rivals. But I do like Cricket...

Sometimes we just have a difference of opinion on things.
Your signature is inappropriate and makes me angry

AuraGuardian448

Aura Guardian
(Last episode seen in the "previous series" was Greninja training Lucario. I say this because I was suppose to give my thoughts on episodes in order from that point onward, but clearly that restriction is ridiculous so I'll break it for this "Ash special" series and return to the main PJ series later.)
Don't have the time to touch on other parts I dislike (Ash Pokedex'ing Clauncher. . ., underutilized Totadile, shoehorned TR, etc) and like (Pikachu referee, Ash personality, references to past series, etc), but if I don't start even actively making small/singular subject posts I'll just end up posting everything far more months later.

Something that has been annoying me immensely since the original series is Ash losing to traveling companions/rivals specifically after winning some big competitive event, such as the Orange League, Battle Frontier, other Leagues, etc. I cannot stand the concept and frequency of this. It feels intentional rather than a convenience.

Losing to Gary after beating Drake at the Orange League. Losing to Gary, again, after beating Brandon and the entirety of Battle Frontier (to be partly fair, Pikachu is usually useless against other electric types, especially heavyweights, one reason why I think Quick Attack, which has never been that good including speed wise, should have been replaced generations ago). Whoever else inbetween, with exceptions like Iris and GVII Misty not counting as the story needed Ash's victory to progress and the newest generation-related thing (in this case Z-ring) to 1-up the one before it (Mega Evolution), respectively. (Blazkien beating Charizard, Electrivire beating Pikachu, Dawn beating May, Iris beating Dawn, etc, type of thing.)

And now GVIII Misty... I was already prepared for Ash to lose, because I knew they weren't giving him a Clauncher (if they replaced Totadile with Kingler then maybe I would have at least considered it slightly) and the episode essentially being a direct continuation of the same type of episode in Johto with Totadile (who's disappointingly used in this episode merely to foreshadow and tease us that "You won last time Ash, remember? It's Misty's turn this time"). The lost is worse given they've done this not just after he defeated the strongest champion (and more champions before) but also in a special series focused on him. Could have made it slightly less disappointing by making the prize a mythical or legendary water-type to put Misty in some kind of fully spirited mode driven by her pure life-long passion for water types—let alone a M/L one—and throw in some noticeable luck factor that Ash (has had so many himself) couldn't react to. Otherwise, the fight the way it is makes it come across as if she's on-par with Ash like Iris and other Elite Trainers, which she isn't. Another reason im mad about the lost is because they keep doing Ash's Hoenn Pokemon who aren't Sceptile (and well Glalie) dirty following the the BF. (Guess the series is going to end on that note of them all suffering such apparent loses.)

Last edited: