1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Ash vs. Paul - The Greatest Battle of All Time?

Discussion in 'Animé Spoilers' started by TheNewGuy, Aug 19, 2010.

1. TheNewGuy

TheNewGuy Well-Known Member

In Pokemon, that is. Not every battle in every series ever.

When I first watched Pokemon 10 years ago I could never have imagined they would deliver a battle that dynamic, emotionally charged, well-animated or flat-out amazing in every way.

Ash vs. Gary was good but almost everything ended in one hit. I liked Ash vs. Brandon, and Charizard vs. Articuno, but nothing beats this. A three-part battle means every Pokemon (bar Torterra) had justice done and, for me, set a whole new standard for the series. Can anything top that? Past or future?

2. Eternal Darkness

Eternal Darkness Eternal Evil

I don't think so... Too long..

3. TheNewGuy

Too long?!

How is that a reason it's bad? I mean yeah waiting two weeks from the start to the conclusion was a pain, and a disadvantage of having it in three parts. But if you were to watch the battle consecutively I'm pretty sure it would be the best, and comfortably.

4. Eternal Darkness

Eternal Darkness Eternal Evil

True... but it would have been better to have two of them together but it still be too long...

5. BlueDragonfangirl

BlueDragonfangirl Well-Known Member

LOL Too long? You want it to be as short as Ash V.S Gary was? Wow. I thought it was freakin epic, they did every thing right here.

6. Ash-kid

Ash-kid Ash-kid

It was long but not the best in my opinion. I'd say Ash vs Drake (Orange) was the best.

7. DigitalUpkeep

DigitalUpkeep I make no sense.

Honestly, I must say I do think this was the best battle ever.

There are some good ones, but this is by far the best. I think even with Torterra, it was the best. Everybody stuck around, did their thing, it was the ultimate culmination of the Ash/Paul rivalry.

I don't really even know how to describe it. I want to use "epic", but I don't know. It was just... indescribable.

Of course, everyone has their own opinions.

8. Cazak

Cazak When Wings Fly High

This battle was very creative and had a few surprises, and a few shocks. Apart from Torterra, I liked about everything there was in the battle. But I'd still not keep it at #1 just yet. Ash vs Gary, and Ash vs Nolan were even better from my judgement.

9. deathseer

deathseer Oh, u mad bro?

Greatest Battle of All Time?

. . . . Pffft. Far from it actually.

10. TheNewGuy

I think give this three or four years and it won't be in doubt.

It's like the people who doubted that Zidane could rank up there with Pele or Maradona - the only reason people are against it is recency imo. Give it time to become nostalgic.

Though Ash vs. Drake is a great shout. But in terms of the culmination of a rivalry, pure dynamism and good animation this is as good as it gets for me. Not often a battle is this good from a storyline perspective, as well as in terms of the techniques used.

And then there's the little things like Paul using counter-shield - that was a great touch.

11. dawn hater

dawn hater Well-Known Member

To me it was the best but it was still lacking something. Maybe my expectations were too high because of 4 year build up and the battle being three episodes long.

Some of the match ups\battles were awesome like Gliscor vs Drapion, Froslass vs Pikachu and Infernape vs Electivire(which was obvious) but some others like Buizel vs Gastrodon and Torterra vs Drapion looked a little bit forced. But even after that I don't think there is any battle from past that can top it.

12. zeno48

zeno48 Zaker!

It was a good battle but not the best battle. Ash still made rookie mistakes like sending torterra out against drapion with no strategy(aside from making it weaker) and giving electavire more speed. It just seemed that this was all in Ashes favor(one sided) and the fact that he had one pokemon he did not train himself.

13. poizonsting

poizonsting Pokemon master

"The" Greatest Battle of all time? You gotta be kidding me. It's nowhere near the best battle ever in Pokemon.

14. CyberCubed

CyberCubed Banned

It was easily the best 6 on 6 in the shows history. If you go back and rewatch the others, they don't hold up as well.

15. Cuddy

Cuddy Cyndaquil Master

For me, it seems like the battle has dragged out too long. I do like the battle, but it is not the best of all time. Nolen's battle is good, and the battle vs. Braden is one of my can't miss battles. This battle will rank in the top 10.

16. CyberCubed

CyberCubed Banned

Ash already beat Paul's other pokemon except Torterra and Magmortar. Big deal.

17. stormno27

stormno27 Active Member

the most boring and typical battle ever

18. Bubblewrap

Bubblewrap Well-Known Member

To everyone saying 'of course not', 'not a chance' etc. please tell me - what battle do you think surpasses it?

Because honestly, it was awesome.

19. dawn hater

dawn hater Well-Known Member

I saw the battle once more(the last one) and I think there was still some room for improvement. Not saying it was bad but they could have improved Electivire-Infernape chemistry. And sometimes it looked like Paul was just giving up, though it just could be me, but it looked like Paul was testing Ash's power, thinking if Ash's training method is better or not. And Infernape vs Electivire looked a little short compared to Charizard vs Blaziken. After all that hype, the battle should have been longer. They should have knocked out Drapion in last match and should have kept this episode for last match up. But still best battle ever.

20. catzeye

catzeye Writer's Block

That's what I want to know. I mean we've had some good matches in the past like:

Ash vs Drake (Orange Islands)
    Ash vs Gary (Johto League)
    Ash vs Noland (Battle Frontier)

And I think Ash vs Takuto will be an epic match as well.

But I still think this match was the best of them all. It had a great backstory to it, epic animation and lovely lovely battling.