• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ash vs. Paul - The Greatest Battle of All Time?

ChaosMage

Izit cuz I is black?
If I could change one thing, it would be Infernape getting three wins... Torterra could have easily had Aggron and Staraptor could have had Ninjask. And I'm still not exactly convinced that Froslass, Ninjask or Aggron were worthy of Paul's reputation for strength or strategy. Drapion and Electivire of course delivered and Gastrodon was well handled, but I felt that the supporting players on both sides were relegated to the sidelines.

Having said that, I don't think I've seen a more intense final round than Electivire VS Infernape. Even knowing who would win, we've waited four years for that match. Charizard VS Blaziken is a contender, but that was largely due to Blaziken being from 3rd Gen, and we didn't see Gary's Blastoise until their league match. The one thing I would definitely change is the complete lack of Torterra on either side- this league has been somewhat disappointing for the grass starter, considering how well Infernape and Empoleon battled.

FlyAsADunsparce

Best of all time is kinda hard to say, because you haven't seen the battles in the future yet. But I gotta say, I haven't seen a battle like this in a long while. It was awesome and great!

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
LOL, there is not a single battle in any older saga that was better than this.

Some of you really are ridiculous. Trying to "downplay" this battle, so what was better, honestly?

Ash Vs. Gary in the Johto league was lackluster compared to this.

~-Overheat-~

Black/White!
I know i'm an *** for still b*tching about this, but i think if Paul had used his old team replacing only Weavile and Ursaring(he's gotten enough screentime) with Drapion and something like a Tyranitar/Feraligatr/Gyarados, it would've been waaaaaay better.

Nevertheless, its still the best battle in the series. Ash vs. Drake was Ash simply sweeping through Drake's team until Dragonite came and sweeped through Ash. And Ash vs. Gary really didnt do it for me, i always took Gary as a joke. I mean, all he did was appear once in 50 episodes and snorted. I honestly saw him more like a recurring character.

Darkxninga

Nah, I dont think this hits the "The best battle" in (all of) pokemon IMO. It has its flaws and ups, but it just wasnt epic for me. Plus I hated how toreterra (however you spell it) lost so fast and easy, as well as the episodes being so long. Meh.

MechaBulba

King of the Monsters
It really was an awesome battle, would love to see a full version of it cut together.

Must be up there in the top battles of the anime, not sure where I would rank it though, but in a random order the top 10 Ash battles are...

- Ash vs. Paul: Lake Acuity (Full Battle)
- Ash vs. Paul: Sinnoh League (Full Battle)
- Ash vs. Jessie with the rental Kanto Starters (3 vs. 3), great Totodile win!!!!
- Ash vs. Jeanette Fisher: Kanto League (3 vs. 3)
- As vs. Mandi: Kanto League (3 vs. 3)
- Ash vs. Gary: Silver Conference (6 vs. 6)
- Ash vs. Drake: Orange League (6 vs. 6)
- Ash vs. Vincent/Jackson: Silver Conference (3 vs. 3)
- Ash vs. Maylene: Sinnoh Gym Battle (3 vs. 3)
- Ash vs. Shingo: Johto (Heracross vs. Scizor)

BM14murph

Master Collector
I wouldn't say the greatest but it was very good

There was something missing however i honestly believe if he had've used his other team (Paul that is) it would have been more memorable as it really would have been real redemption for Ash

Pepsi_Plunge

Dojyaaa~~aan
Yes it has no discussed its the most climatic, well done, animated, passed battle in the anime history.

I dont see much space for discussion only nostalgic freaks might argue with this but they can be ignored ofc.

Bubblewrap

The pokemon Paul used do not matter. Why is the Lake Acuity bunch his 'true' team? He obviously has a bunch of pokemon he trains. If they all just used the exact same pokemon it'd seem like a rehash. This three parter was amazingly done, well animated, full of suspense even though the outcome was obvious, and the best ending I've ever seen between two characters on the show.

thunderblade12

"The" Greatest Battle of all time? You gotta be kidding me. It's nowhere near the best battle ever in Pokemon.

Would anyone actually expect a different answer from poisonsting? lol

The battle was good, but best battle? Not a chance.
I was disapointed, if we look at who got the wins and who didn't.
Infernape getting three wins makes sense, but it just sucks for others, who deserved it more then him, like Torterra.
And the fact that five of his Pokemon that didn't get used in their full battle was left out now, was terrible. I'm pretty sure that Paul would have won against Ash, with his team from their full battle. All of Ash's Pokemon would go through another Ursaring-masacre.

But battle wise, I was pretty impressed. Better then the other battles we've seen here.

I agree with Infernape getting three wins, but how is a Drapion massacre any different than an Ursaring massacre? Ursaring was never called Paul's "secret weapon."

To everyone saying 'of course not', 'not a chance' etc. please tell me - what battle do you think surpasses it?

Because honestly, it was awesome.

Ash vs Gary. Duh. It had Charizard in it.

LOL, there is not a single battle in any older saga that was better than this.

Some of you really are ridiculous. Trying to "downplay" this battle, so what was better, honestly?

Ash Vs. Gary in the Johto league was lackluster compared to this.

This. And not only because everything Gary owned died to a single hit either. The animation was terrble. No emotion, nothing. So typical and boring.

"IMMA FIRIN MUH LAZOR"
-Pokemon goes sqiggly eyed-
*Go, new pokemon*
"FALCON PAUNCH!"
-Pokemon goes sqiggly eyed-
*Go, new pokemon...again*
"IMMA FIRIN MUH LAZOR*
-Pokemon goes squiggly eyed-

Wash, rinse, repeat.

dark-tulip1

Absalutly fantastic!

The only thing I would have changed though, would have been Torterra getting owned like it did, if torterra had taken aggron instead or something that would be great or atleast got one win

Through the entire fight of Electivire vs Pikachu/Infernape I had goosebumps, and it made it even BETTER! having the D-P Anime battle music in there

Bravo Producers!, although its short, PLEASE make sure the battle against Darkrai will be an epic fight!

BlueVapor

Nah, I dont think this hits the "The best battle" in (all of) pokemon IMO. It has its flaws and ups, but it just wasnt epic for me. Plus I hated how toreterra (however you spell it) lost so fast and easy, as well as the episodes being so long. Meh.

^I agree with this.

Wether it's counted as a legit reason or not, one of my main complaints is that it was 3 episodes.

But, I don't know if it's "The Greatest of All Time". I haven't watched past 6 on 6 battles in awhile (Ash VS Gary, Ash VS Drake, Ash VS Tyson whatever). So, I'll just say it was good, it just didn't fill me with excitment like I thought it would :/

k, I'm ready for the flaming to commense.

Nacreous

Fire trainer
It was a very good battle..I don't know if the best,some of the moves were exaggerated in my opinion.Does everything have to explode?I also didn't like the Infernape overuse.

Blazing Charmander

I've watched the first two parts over the stretched two week period, but have yet to watch the final part so I will wait until i've watched the battle in its entirety before I seriously rate this as the best battle in the show's history. From what i've seen though, the animation, drama, action and the sheer scale of what's riding on the battle makes it difficult for almost ANYTHING to touch it.

For now though, i'll stick with the Lake Acuity battle because I really enjoyed Paul tearing Ash apart and giving him some food for thought prior to the 8th Gym and the Sinnoh League. Ursaring was such a beast in that battle and I was somewhat entertained by Ash's struggle to gain a footing in the battle. It made the moments of dominance from his Pokemon all the more sweeter.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
^I agree with this.

Wether it's counted as a legit reason or not, one of my main complaints is that it was 3 episodes.

But, I don't know if it's "The Greatest of All Time". I haven't watched past 6 on 6 battles in awhile (Ash VS Gary, Ash VS Drake, Ash VS Tyson whatever). So, I'll just say it was good, it just didn't fill me with excitment like I thought it would :/

k, I'm ready for the flaming to commense.

You don't remember them well.

This 6 on 6 was easily better than any 6 on 6 is in the shows history. It cannot be compared.

BlueVapor

You don't remember them well.

This 6 on 6 was easily better than any 6 on 6 is in the shows history. It cannot be compared.

lol, I know I don't. I said I haven't watched them in a long time.

I don't know, it was good, I just wasn't overly impressed. Maybe it's because Torterra went down so fast, or maybe because Paul didn't use Torterra or Honchkrow exc... :/

Elxar

Its one of the best six on six battle but what really make it not the BEST is because its outcome was predictable. We already expected what will happen out of 2 or 3 possibilities.

Ash first Full battle with Paul made is epic because of the 6-2 outcome even Ash lost. Chimchar also evolved on it.

Konoko_Hasano

Ralts Line Samba
I just watched the Ash vs Drake and the Ash vs Gary battles after hearing so many people say that those two are better than the Sinnoh League Ash vs Paul battle, and all I can say is... what?

The Drake and Gary battles were alright and good, but they don't really seem all that spectacular when compared to the Paul battle. I watched them and couldn't help but scratch my head and think 'these are what people place on a pedestal? Just how much of it is due to nostalgia'.

Interestingly, Infernape defeating Paul's Aggron, Ninjask, and Electivire isn't much different than Charizard defeating Gary's Scizor, Golem, and Blastoise, so it's silly to see some people complain in that regards.

Also... Ash vs Noland? Huh? That's not really all that exciting of a battle.

KGB13

Man of Mystery
YES! This was the best battle of all time in the anime.

The only thing I would have preferred was if Paul used his Lake Acuity team because the team he used was not that great. But nonetheless, this battle was spectacular and was definitely the best battle in the animes history.