• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ash vs. Paul - The Greatest Battle of All Time?

TheVash

Rebirth(NYC)Trainer
The only thing the Gary battle had over Ash's was the emotional backdrop.

Everything else was lackadaisically rushed, and boring.

BLUmbreon

Blue Umbreon
This sounds like an epic battle. Primarly because Paul has Drapion (I love drapion....)
wish ui can see this episode...

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
Yes it was the greatest battle.

And there is my weekly post here :p.

Pepsi_Plunge

Dojyaaa~~aan
Go back and watch the Ash vs Drake and the Ash vs Gary matches, then compare those with the Ash vs Paul match.

I did just that earlier to see what all of the fuss was about in regards to those two matches, and I can say that I was bored and disappointed upon watching them.

He doesnt even need this match to compare to those, theres plent of better matches then those even with more climax perhaps.

hustenapfel

Not the Greatest, but the Greatest since Ash VS Gary, I'd say... Thus, it's third in my eternal ranking of the Greatest Battles:

#1: Ash VS Drake
#2: Ash VS Gary
#3: Ash VS Paul

Teshub

Banned
I did not like it that much because it was too predictable. There was really no upset or surprise that would have made it interesting. It was somewhat intense and had potential, but the ending came off kind of flat.

the best with no doubt . and i am wondering is there any thing u like people.?!
after every eps u r Surprising me by this ****

what with u guys ..!?

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
I did not like it that much because it was too predictable. There was really no upset or surprise that would have made it interesting. It was somewhat intense and had potential, but the ending came off kind of flat.

Predictable? When has a match ever been totally unpredictable?

TheVash

Rebirth(NYC)Trainer

LOL.

What is not predictable in this anime?!

Come up with something better.

Swine Trio

Bacon Lover
Drake- Ash Sweeps through it, a single lose of Lapras, and then needs his whole team for a single Pokemon.

Gary- A series of OHKOs, where Charizard and Blastoice took too many wins.

If anyone who says Gary's is better, and this battle sucks because Infernape and Drapion had too many wins...well Drapion and Infernape did the same as Blastoice and Charizard, if memory serves.

Electivirus

Not really, no.
There wasn't a single moment during this battle where I wasn't going, "HOLY ****!!!"

Seriously, no other battle in the series has ever been given this amount of attention and detail.

Himaro Aurora

Ocean Warrior
LOL Too long? You want it to be as short as Ash V.S Gary was? Wow. I thought it was freakin epic, they did every thing right here.
I Agree this was an amazing battle =D

Greatest Battle of All Time?

. . . . Pffft. Far from it actually.

I beg to differ

Yes this was an epic! battle and people saying its to long just shut up lol

Lol agreed =D

- Personally i havent seen these episodes at full so i cant say much however from what ive seen i have to say its one of the best battles ever!//
i mean 3 long episode for one major battle is amazing!..however i think the gary vs ash match may top this, but dont get me wrong this was an excellent battle!.Hope to see similiar in isshu =D

Teshub

Banned
LOL.

What is not predictable in this anime?!

Come up with something better.

We all knew Paul was going to lose, but the battle sequence near the end was completely as one would expect. The punches, the explosions, the musical montage, the one pokemon falling down, and Paul taking it like it was nothing.
Everything was on character, nobody did anything unpredictable. Maybe Paul actually getting angry for releasing Chimchar/Infernape, or something besides Blaze being the deciding factor.

Last edited:

Corzola

Gible´s biggest fan!
No. This one had better animation, battling, emotion, characters, and strategies than all those.

Take off the nostalgia glasses.

But for heavens sake, however this battle is the best one or not is entierly up to each person to decide. You can´t tell people what to think just because you sees this battle as the best ever. Nostalgia or not every each person may have a special favorite that they put above this particular battle. So stop wasting post and forum- space on meaningless posts trying to convince people of what is right or wrong.

On topic the, yes for me this was the best battle in the series history. It had everything Ash vs Gary had and more. Perfect musical score and epic Pokémons to fight. We got to see Ash and Paul at their best, using every trick of the trade that they knew of. Aside from Torterra Ash used his Pokémon and their capabilities to the limit and fought in true Ash- style (many flying or fast Pokémon) while Paul tried his best to lure Ash with a few Pokémon that was not the usual Paul- Pokémon (heavy tanks). And in this he almost succed in taking down what was probably the best field line- up Ash has ever started with. How could such a fight not be epic? All the crap about Paul not using the a- team is nonsense, you start with the line- up you think can win, and then there is no such thing as the a or b team (and Paul ONLY starts with Pokémon that he is absolutly secure with and who has been through his rigerous traing).

The Ash - Gary Johto- league battle, Ash last battle with Brandon, Ash vs. Paul first 6 on 6, Ash vs. Drake and a few other battles are personal favorites. The one against Gary still top my most memorable list, because it was Gary, a person he had been behind for so long and now finally defeated him, He fought not just Gary there but also took his first step from being an ordinary trainer to someone who could actually make it, to the top spots in the tournaments. Against Gary he saw that he could do IT. That battle was more of a turning point than this against Paul. Had Ash lost to Gary he would forever been behind.

The most important thing in this Ash - Paul league match is that Ash and we other saw that his traing was the right one. That you could succeed with his style of training. Then this was played out perfectly in terms of feeling and animation and musical score.

Last edited:

A.J.

Wobba wobba wobba!
Did anyone think Ash set off Electivire's Motor Drive on purpose? Maybe to intentionally let Paul weaken Infernape enough to set off Blaze?

That would be an interesting twist, but I don't know. I don't understand Japanese.

But this battle was great in its own respect - because Ash used an entirely regional team (minus Pikachu of course).

ShinyCharyZard

Too old for your rubbish..
Other than Torterra going down without a win and Infernape coming out to face Electivire at what semed like full health, yes it was a great battle and one of my all time favourites... I absolutely loved how they handled Infernape vs Electivire and am glad Gliscor got the win over what was undeniably the Ursaring/Blastoise/Dragonite of this battle.

It easily surpasses the battle against Gary in the Johto League, but i'm not sure if its quite up there with the battle against Drake in Pummelo.

TrainerOfLegend

Best battle IMO. Remember, while we can say for fact that this battle was better animated and had more emotion into it(seriously, no disagreeing with that), whether it is your favorite or not is for you to decide.

Swine Trio

Bacon Lover
We all knew Paul was going to lose, but the battle sequence near the end was completely as one would expect. The punches, the explosions, the musical montage, the one pokemon falling down, and Paul taking it like it was nothing.
Everything was on character, nobody did anything unpredictable. Maybe Paul actually getting angry for releasing Chimchar/Infernape, or something besides Blaze being the deciding factor.

So...the battle is not good because the characters stayed in character? Sounds like a reason it is good, in my book....