1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Ash vs. Paul - Two Years On

Discussion in 'Animé Spoilers' started by TheNewGuy, Oct 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheNewGuy

TheNewGuy Well-Known Member

Yeah. So it's been...well over two years since Ash and Paul's league battle.

With Ash and his new rival, Trip, heading for their big league showdown (...presumably), I'm curious to see how people compare the build between these two battles (again, presuming Ash/Trip at the league happens, which it should) - as well as asking where people now believe Ash/Paul sits among the series' best battles.

Two years and almost an entire saga is long enough for the battle to be consigned to "history", so I wonder if that means people remember it a little more fondly. Especially since Ash/Trip is, I think, regarded as inferior on the whole (could be wrong about that, but I'm pretty sure the majority here prefers the Ash/Paul rivalry).

2. LizardonX

LizardonX Banned

I prefer ash and Gary. Just saying and its extremely unfair to do this topic because Paul never gets his intelligence stripped or have his torterra suddenly return to level 1 at the start of every region.

3. Born Better

Born Better God of Lightning

Not sure what that has to do with anything.

4. TheNewGuy

TheNewGuy Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, Ash/Trip has a different dynamic entirely, but those dynamics can still be compared. It basically comes down to "what entertains you more?" I mean forget Ash losing a lot of his knowledge or Pikachu being set to level 1 - on a fundamental level, both rivalries offer different levels of entertainment (or the same level).

You mean this topic? Just a question. Ignore the topic if you want.

5. 1rkhachatryan

1rkhachatryan Call me Robert guys

Meh, Trip will get fully evolved plot armor and Ash will barely beat him with only one pokemon remaining. It's pretty obvious this is gonna happen lol.

6. Locormus

Locormus Can we please get the old forum back?

I still feel bitter for Torterra getting nothing from the Sinnoh League.. When it could've done whatever Snorlax did to that Grumpig.. Torterra getting no win against Paul made me bitter towards that battle.

My preferred spread:
    Aggron: Torterra
    Gastrodon: Buizel
    Drapion: Gliscor
    Ninjask: Infernape
    Froslass: Pikachu
    Electivire: Infernape

Staraptor as the fall-guy is acceptable when you admit that it already took down Nando's Roserade earlier.. But nooo, Infernape had to come in and punch Aggron into a wall.. Giving us two fall guys..

7. LizardonX

LizardonX Banned

Dont forget it also beat weavile and scored a technical win vs Honchcrow. He's probably the only member that actually deserved to be the fall guy.

Anyways "all star team"

Drapion-Gliscor
    Electivire-Infernape
    Torterra-Infernape
    Honchcrow-Torterra
    Magmortar-Pikachu
    Ursaring- Infernape

8. ConUxie223

ConUxie223 Kalos Trap Queen

Trip and Ash's rival has been really basic and thats why I like it.. Paul and Ash had a little too much drama for me.. Trip and him just battle and talk, which is all the rival really does with us in the games :/ Paul always wanted to talk to Ash and start drama with him while Trip never talks to him first because Ash is just a rival of his.. Its not like they have link like Paul and Ash had Dramachar. So I'm looking foward to their clash.. whenever it is.. I hope they dont pull a cliche and have him battle in the league, but I will most likely be disappointed so whatever. Also, because none of Ash's team has a connection with Trip the battle should be more interesting instead of when Paul and Ash fought with Infernape being the main focus and all of Ash's other Sinnoh Pokemon barely got any attention.. I expect all of Ash's Unova team to have their share of focus in the invetiable battle (whenever it is..).

9. Pepsi_Plunge

Pepsi_Plunge Dojyaaa~~aan

I liked the Shigeru figth.

I liked the Shinji figth a lot more.

Shooti figth will probably be good also, maybe not be as good as Shinji because of the climax of their rivalry and the whole Electrivre vs Infernape rivalry too but I see it being a good figth.

10. 1rkhachatryan

I would prefer:

Aggron: Buizel(evolves)
    Gastrodon: Torterra
    Drapion: Torterra
    Ninjask: Gliscor
    Froslass: Gliscor
    Electivire: Infernape

11. LizardonX

LizardonX Banned

Dude gliscor is quad weak to ice.

12. 1rkhachatryan

Fire Fang ftw lol. And he deserves two wins...

13. LizardonX

LizardonX Banned

Then give him aggron and buizel froslass.

14. 1rkhachatryan

But Buizel deserves some Screech revenge :(.

15. ShinyCharyZard

ShinyCharyZard Honesty=Infractions

I'll admit, that battle was pretty epic.. The thing is that either Buizel should've got a win in their previous 6v6 so that he could be the fall guy here, or Torterra should've been sent out and won against Aggron/Ninjask, instead of Infernape getting 3 whole wins which it didn't even need..

Aggron - Torterra/Infernape
    Gastrodon - Buizel
    Ninjask - Infernape/Torterra
    Drapion - Gliscor
    Froslass - Pikachu
    Electivire - Infernape

Basically, my only beef with that battle is that Torterra should've got a win.. I especially loved Gliscor taking down the beast that is Drapion..

16. RVD_fan

RVD_fan Well-Known Member

I liked the spin they put on it with Paul using pokemon he's never fought Ash with.

It's hard to compare the two because Ash/Paul was basically Ash's whole story in D/P (that and Team Galactic). Trip meanwhile has barely appeared since the run-in with Alder. I'm not sure what the focus is supposed to be in Best Wishes in regard to Ash and his development, but beating Trip doesn't feel like nearly as big a deal as beating Paul.

17. 1rkhachatryan

Infernape only really needed to have that one final epic battle lol. Torterra(Gastroodon,Drapion) and Gliscor(Ninjask,Frostlass) could of got two wins each, Buizel could of evolved and beat Aggron. Starpator and Pikachu are fine to be fall guys cuz the rat got hihs redemption next episode anyways.

18. Haunter ゴースト

Haunter ゴースト Well-Known Member

Gary and Ash was the best rivalry, it just had minimum screentime compared to the others.

19. 1rkhachatryan

I will say I still liked Ash and Pauls rivalry the best even with the crappy conclusion.

20. divinepokemonXZ

divinepokemonXZ PokeGod

I don't believe this belongs here can somebody move this thread?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.