• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ash vs. Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadoguardian

I'm surprised everyone is so set on the idea that Paul is going to use pretty much the same team he used against Ash the first time, considering that he has a whole lot of other powerful Pokemon, with lots of powerful abilities and attack. For Example I bet by the time of the league he'll have an Aggron, and I wouldn't put it past him to include Gliscor in his team (since it would be useful against both Torterra and Infernape). Hopefully chances are that Pikachu is the one who'll defeat Electivire or Electabuzz, since Pikachu has yet to win a single battle against any of the Elec-volutions.

psbigg

i saw alot of ppl who posted gible vs weavile well 1st i know ash is stupid but he's not that stupid to send a ground type vs an ice type an 2nd dont you think paul will replace wavile i mean it hadnt won a battle

Spacialrend

Gallade owns
@wildheart90- Yes! I always wanted to see Paul with an Aggron! he should definately swap him with Weavile...

terminoob

The Underdog
i saw alot of ppl who posted gible vs weavile well 1st i know ash is stupid but he's not that stupid to send a ground type vs an ice type an 2nd dont you think paul will replace wavile i mean it hadnt won a battle

We've seen it in two battles. The first was against CYNTHIA'S GARCHOMP. Why the hell should that even count? Type advantage my foot; Garchomp is Cynthia's strongest, do people honestly think Weavile should've done better against it? So disregarding that, it only lost one battle. That constitutes for releasing? If Paul wanted to release it, he would've by now.

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
We've seen it in two battles. The first was against CYNTHIA'S GARCHOMP. Why the hell should that even count? Type advantage my foot; Garchomp is Cynthia's strongest, do people honestly think Weavile should've done better against it? So disregarding that, it only lost one battle. That constitutes for releasing? If Paul wanted to release it, he would've by now.

Not sure if that counts but what about when Torterra was practising Frenzy Plant with Weavile in Aiding the Enemy(DP100)?

I don't think he'll release it either, but still I can see it going in favor of a Feraligatr as Paul is an expy of Silver.

And Lairon was much more worser than Weavile.

In My opinion,Paul's gonna beat Ash. Why? The answer is obvious. I mean look,Paul not only has a crapload of powerful and intelegent Pokemon,but Paul himself is a Brilliant battle stratagist.

Anyway here are the teams that I predict the 2 trainers will use.

Ash:
Pikachu (he always uses pikachu)
Floatzel
Gabite
Infernape (natch)
Torterra (natch)
Staraptor

I have heavy doubts that he'll use his reserves. Anyway on to Paul.

Paul:
Aggron
Electivire (natch)
Magmortar (natch)
Ursaring(or a possible 5th gen evo)
Honchcrow
Torterra

I have no idea how the battle is gonna turn out.

Last edited:

thunderblade12

Ash:
He'll probably just use the same team he used in the last battle. With the exception of Gible replacing Gliscor of course (I strongly doubt Gliscor's ever going to be seen again). Sense Staraptor was the only one to get an impressive win against Paul, maybe Ash will replace it with one of his reserves. Pikachu, Infernape, Torterra, Buizel, Snorlax, and Gible?

Paul:
I think Ursaring's had about enough. Ash doesn't need to beat it a third time. It displayed it's power in their previous battle anyway. Weavile may also sit on the sidelines for losing to Ash last time. Paul is likely to be taking Ash more seriously this time so he might just decide against using Weavile sense he knows Ash has strategies that could lead to it's defeat. Not that it's weaker than his other's, just that he knows Ash in particular is familiar enough with it's battling style that he can defeat it. Torterra, Honchkrow, Magmortar, Electivire, and two random Johto promoting reserves sounds about right. Good choices for those reserves: Feraligatr and Tyranitar. Simply because we haven't really seen them in a worthy battle and they fit Paul's bad *** persona.

Edit: If a random kid in Twinleaf Town and some unnamed coordinator can have a Tyranitar, Paul can too.

Last edited:

dawn hater

It never won onscreen but maybe off screen it is a beast. And Paul chose it one purpose against Staraptor so as to leave the bird tired and then land a final blow with some other Pokemon like Yoggy Bear.
Good choices for those reserves: Feraligatr and Tyranitar. Simply because we haven't really seen them in a worthy battle and they fit Paul's bad *** persona.

I agree with you here. Of all the pseudo legendary, Tyranitar is the one to have never been shown in a regular battle. And who wouldn't like to see Ash in some tension when Paul chooses Tyranitar and it can also stand few hits from all of Ash's Pokemon.

So for Ash I would all of his team except for Gible which should be replaced by some old reserve like Glalie or Muk.

Paul can use anything. He would use at least one Pokemon who hasn't been shown to us so far. But the sure hits will be Torterra, Electivire, Magmorar, Honchkrow and possibly Ursaring cause Buizel has to take revenge for his last humiliating defeat. Last one can be Tyranitar as above user said.

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO

deathseer

Oh, u mad bro?
Guess I'm the only one who believe Paul will beat Ash at the League.

Sure Ash has new Pokemon (Torterra, Infernape, and Gible) but overall, he hasn't changed at all. No new strategy ( Stupid stuff like Swallowing Energy Ball won't help), no really helpful moves (Except maybe Leaf Storm). No nothing. He hasn't changed at all and it won't help. While Paul basically conducted surgery on Ash's team with no effort what so ever.

If Ash really wants to win, he will have to take the initiative and teach his Pokemon some powerful moves ( Not move specific counters like Feint and Brick Break). Moves like Heat Wave for Staraptor could help. Maybe Focus Blast for Infernape. Ash's thing is power along with team effort. He needs Pokemon with strong moves, as well as them working as a team to bring his opponent down.

But that may not happen. I can see Paul winning their battle and getting to challenge the Elite 4. While Ash travels to the new region to train harder. I'm guessing halfway through the new series Paul may reappear and they have anoother battle which Ash may win.

Paul is stronger than Ash, there is no denying that. So he should get the chance to battle the Elite 4. Not saying he should win, but he deserves it more than Ash. But Ash will still put up a good fight and he will respect Ash more.

Eternal Darkness

Eternal Evil
^ I never see Gliscor appearing again. He is like Primeape in my opionin.

saladbar112

Gliscor Returns!
^ I never see Gliscor appearing again. He is like Primeape in my opionin.

In my opinion, I do not see Gliscor as Primeape because...

1) Primeape was mainly caught just because Ash wanted to catch more pokemon
2) It was around for like 5 episodes, appearing in only 2, (3 counting a five second flashback)
3)Gliscor was a lot more developed and focused on. There have been a few episodes centered around Gliscor too.

thunderblade12

^Still...I don't think any of that matters....

1) All of Ash's pokemon are basically caught for that reason.
2) Butterfree, Lapras, and Pidgeot appeared in many episodes before their release yet they never returned either
3) Pidgeot may not have had development but Butterfree did.

Brainwashed

Peace and Love
^Still...I don't think any of that matters....

1) All of Ash's pokemon are basically caught for that reason.
2) Butterfree, Lapras, and Pidgeot appeared in many episodes before their release yet they never returned either
3) Pidgeot may not have had development but Butterfree did.

Lapras did return in an episode of Johto.

Flamez

Elite 4 Champion
Guess I'm the only one who believe Paul will beat Ash at the League.

Sure Ash has new Pokemon (Torterra, Infernape, and Gible) but overall, he hasn't changed at all. No new strategy ( Stupid stuff like Swallowing Energy Ball won't help), no really helpful moves (Except maybe Leaf Storm). No nothing. He hasn't changed at all and it won't help. While Paul basically conducted surgery on Ash's team with no effort what so ever.

I couldn't disagree anymore. Just to give you a flashback, remember how Anabel from the Battle Frontier totally embarrassed Ash the first time they battled. Ash did not teach his pokemon any special moves or put them through some tough training. Anabel's style confused him (giving orders through telepathy). He just realized what he was up against and the next time around he beat her.

You can even look at the gym battle against Roark as an example. The first time around, He beat Ash while still having Geodude in reserve. All Ash came up with was the "spinning dodging" technique. Roark is actually the one who many people would say got stronger with the evolution of Cranidos.

How was Ash able to beat Anabel and Roark, while the first time around each of those trainers beat Ash rather easily?

If you've watched this show from the beginning of Ash's journey you would realize that strategy is of great importance.

When Ash battled Paul, Reggie commented on how Paul prepared beforehand. He came up with a strategy and utilized it during the battled. He even asked Brock if Ash did any sort of preparation. Ash went into that battle with a normal mindset thinking he can win using his regualar tactics.

Everything worked to Paul's advantage:
Setting up light screens to raise the defense of his pokemon.
Pikachu getting hurt by Magmortar's special ability.
Even when Pikachu's static came into play, it worked to the advantage of Ursaring.

You add in Ash's bad decisions of leaving Grotle in against Honchcrow and Buizel just giving a thumbs up saying it could battle. Those were decisions that cost Ash big time.

I think with a good strategy Ash could've put up a MUCH better fight against Paul the first time around.

I know alot of people here look at the battle against Paul and automatically assume that Ash can never beat him.
I think we've all watched the show long enough to know that with a good strategy Ash can beat Paul. The fact that he NOW has Torterra and Infernape only makes him stronger.

Just don't let a bad loss cloud your judgement. We've seen plenty of those before in the anime only to have Ash counter the opposing trainer the next time around.
Paul will be the same. Ash has the pokemon and experience to beat him.

deathseer

Oh, u mad bro?
I'm not saying beating him is impossible. I'm saying that Ash is going to have to shape up if he wants to beat Paul. He is in a totally different class than any other trainer. Unlike Anabel, Paul has beaten Ash a total of 3 times already. Each time with Ash doing the same thing. And Ash did change up his strategy against Anabel. Instead of charging in head first, he watched the flow of the battle and chose which move would work best. Even if it was a small change, it still helped him more nonetheless.

Ash changed up his way of approaching Roark's Pokemon as well. Like before, instead of going into battle, just commanding out attacks, he used the Spin technique to dodge his opponents attacks to put distance between them. A small change can still help alot.

But in the 3 times Ash has battled Paul, he has not changed his strategy once. He still goes into battle thinking that just shouting a command and hoping it works will help him win. He made poor decisions on typing, thinking that if a Pokemon tries hard enough, it can win. All mistakes that he needs to fix if he wants to win.

But if he wants to still battle like that, he is going to have to build up the power to back it up. If he wants Torterra to battle Honckrow, he has to make sure that it has the moves to be able to handle it. Moves like Stonge Edge and Crunch could really help if it decides to go long or close range against Torterra.

If he wants to use Infernape against Electabuzz again, it has to have access to stronger moves if it wants to do any real damage. He bought Electabuzz to its knees as a Monferno, but thats as far as it was going to go. Monferno lacked the strength to put Electabuzz away but the same cannot be said about the latter. High powered moves like Focus Blast and Flare Blitz would really help this problem.

Ash can evolve his Pokemon all he wants, but if they don't have the moves to handle Paul's Pokemon , then he will constantly keep losing. When it comes to Paul, Ash's strategy seems to go out the door. He gets so worked up about beating him that he throws away every other concern except winning. So if wants to continue to think like this, his Pokemon will have to have the moves to help back it up.

Last edited:

Master TF

I can guess when Ash beats Paul he'll Fall to the floor and hit the ground saying why did I loose the Reggi will say cause ash has a strong frendship with his pokemon.Then paul will Not be the annoying Jerk we have come too known but paul has been the best rival so far A jerk perhaps and please for the love of god I hope ash dose not give paul Infernape.

Spacialrend

Gallade owns
^ Master TF, good idea!

Master TF

^ Master TF, good idea!

I just got the feeling knowing what ash is like and what Cynthia said ash might give paul Infernape and I hope he dose not,

Status
Not open for further replies.