• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ash's best Flying Type Pokemon

Ash's best Flying Type

• Pidgeot

Votes: 18 14.9%
  • Noctowl

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Swellow

Votes: 34 28.1%
  • Staraptor

Votes: 58 47.9%
  • Unfezant

Votes: 2 1.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
The day people accept that swellow's DEM is legit is the day they recognize totodile as Ash's strongest water. I mean it beat a charizard and kingdra so it must be the best right ?

Totodile is stronger than oshawott, maybe equal or slightly less than squirtle.

TheFonz

Pokemon Semi-Master
Swellow was a beast whenever it was used outside of Tobias, which was a total BS loss. I'm not saying Swellow should have beaten Latios(although it's not totally impossible), but that battle was obviously rushed and not accurate of the Pokémon's actual ability just like with Heracross VS Darkrai and Torkoal VS Darkrai

I consider Swellow superior because of its superior speed and its battle style. Swellow has MUCH more flexibility in an anime battle than Staraptor. Swellow is able to fly better and use its moves for interesting and on the spot strategies. Staraptor on the other hand has the options of

1. Slam into the opponent with Brave Bird
2. Slam into the opponent with Aerial Ace
3. Slam into the opponent with Quick Attack
or 4. Close Combat(which I admit has come in handy but not used creatively enough besides Medicham and Gastrodon)

Sure Staraptor could get a better move, but its still pure power VS speed and versatility. And as Swellow has shown, it can take pure power used against it and dish it right back with its guts

Navin

MALDREAD
Swellow was a beast whenever it was used outside of Tobias, which was a total BS loss. I'm not saying Swellow should have beaten Latios(although it's not totally impossible), but that battle was obviously rushed and not accurate of the Pokémon's actual ability just like with Heracross VS Darkrai and Torkoal VS Darkrai

I consider Swellow superior because of its superior speed and its battle style. Swellow has MUCH more flexibility in an anime battle than Staraptor. Swellow is able to fly better and use its moves for interesting and on the spot strategies. Staraptor on the other hand has the options of

1. Slam into the opponent with Brave Bird
2. Slam into the opponent with Aerial Ace
3. Slam into the opponent with Quick Attack
or 4. Close Combat(which I admit has come in handy but not used creatively enough besides Medicham and Gastrodon)

Sure Staraptor could get a better move, but its still pure power VS speed and versatility. And as Swellow has shown, it can take pure power used against it and dish it right back with its guts

Exactly. In fact, Swellow's loss to Latios is reverse-DEM. Swellow's past performances prove that its loss to Latios was complete P.I.S.

Staraptor leads Swellow by 10 votes in this poll. That might be due to people liking him in general. But if they are actually under the silly impression that Staraptor is the strongest bird Ash has captured, we have 23 completely misguided people.

There's no denying Swellow is the strongest out Ash's Flying Type Pokemon, but I'm not sure what best means in this context.

To me, when I factor in memorability and characterization with strength, I remember Noctowl fondly for some reason. Though, I am fond of Pidgeot out of nostalgia, though.

Staraptor was okay, but nothing really stood out to me. Felt like Swellow 2.0 stripped of its uniqueness to me...IDK why, but it did. I just remember it being the standard regional bird type of the region, and nothing more, though: I remember thinking of Infernape and Torterra a lot more fondly.

Unfezant is forgettable: I remember it fondly as a Pidove, but forgot about it completely during its tenure as an Unfezant.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
It's too bad Ash released Pidgeot. Had it stayed, I think it would have been seen as a powerhouse along the lines of Bulbasaur/Squirtle/Charizard.

And Pidgeot probably could have been used again the same time Bulba/Squirtle/Char came back for both the Johto League and then Battle Frontier.

TheFonz

Pokemon Semi-Master
There's no denying Swellow is the strongest out Ash's Flying Type Pokemon, but I'm not sure what best means in this context.

To me, when I factor in memorability and characterization with strength, I remember Noctowl fondly for some reason. Though, I am fond of Pidgeot out of nostalgia, though.

Staraptor was okay, but nothing really stood out to me. Felt like Swellow 2.0 stripped of its uniqueness to me...IDK why, but it did. I just remember it being the standard regional bird type of the region, and nothing more, though: I remember thinking of Infernape and Torterra a lot more fondly.

Unfezant is forgettable: I remember it fondly as a Pidove, but forgot about it completely during its tenure as an Unfezant.

I agree with everything. Pidgeotto/Pidgeot was first and was used a lot early on. Just kinda fell short but then had an epic finale. Noctowl is definitely the one that sticks out the most since its shiny and a ranged attacker. I just wished it was able to show off its potential better and had a bit better flying ability.

Staraptor was most interesting towards the beginning and then when it evolved...but then it never had a big moment in an important battle. Like sure it beat Weavile and had an interesting moveset, but it never had any "WOW!" moments like Pidgeot VS Fearow, Noctowl VS Morty and its intelligence, and Swellow VS Winona, Katie, and Tyson.

*Edit*
Well thinking about it more, it was a WOW moment when Ash beat Paul in the PokéRinger. But it wasn't a complete battle

Last edited:
I agree with everything. Pidgeotto/Pidgeot was first and was used a lot early on. Just kinda fell short but then had an epic finale. Noctowl is definitely the one that sticks out the most since its shiny and a ranged attacker. I just wished it was able to show off its potential better and had a bit better flying ability.

Staraptor was most interesting towards the beginning and then when it evolved...but then it never had a big moment in an important battle. Like sure it beat Weavile and had an interesting moveset, but it never had any "WOW!" moments like Pidgeot VS Fearow, Noctowl VS Morty and its intelligence, and Swellow VS Winona, Katie, and Tyson.

*Edit*
Well thinking about it more, it was a WOW moment when Ash beat Paul in the PokéRinger. But it wasn't a complete battle
Exactly how I feel, man.

That was one of Staraptor's best battles in Sinnoh, with Honchkrow, and there's no denying that, but like you said it wasn't a complete battle.

Afrodisiac

break up w yo gf, im bored
Staraptor is winning? Ch...

That thing was forgettable. Didn't win anything important. Total Snoozefest. People only vote for it because of how overhyped Close Combat was back in the DP days, and maybe because it's the strongest in-game (Games=/=Anime).

Swellow was stronger plus it always showed it's stubborn personality in several episodes while Staraptor was always bland and boring.

Pidgeot was adorable when it was a Pidgeotto. I really liked it, but it never really shined in battle until it evolved into Pidgeot. Shame it was released. Noctowl was meh just like Unfezant.

I'm sure Talonflame will be his strongest and most impressive bird though.

Lord Trollbias

Y'all Salty Bishes
I kinda feel bad for Unzefant. 0 votes. Damn. I'm expecting Talonflame to take this by the end of XY

Lost Lore

Diving Deep
I voted for Pidgeot. Yes, it was entirely because of nostalgia + the fact that it's my favourite Pokemon.

If I were to look past that bias, I think I might go with Swellow. The battle with Tobias non-withstanding (because seriously that's not a fair fight to bring up in any context, guys) it was the most memorable of his birds for me.

TheFonz

Pokemon Semi-Master
Staraptor looked cool. And had cool moves. And that's about it. Don't tell me that's what is winning this poll.

I think a lot of people need to rewatch AG, even Corphish doesn't get the love he deserves. I'm afraid of what people would think of Sceptile if it weren't for Tobias

Sprinter1988

Staraptor. It was powerful and everything that Pidgeot never got to be.
Brave Bird and Close Combat were nice moves to go with the standard Aerial Ace and Quick Attack.

Noctowl is a close second for me. I used to think it was awful, but then it came back for the Sinnoh League. Of course, being Ash's only pokemon to ever use a damaging psychic type move helps.

Swellow is third for me. It was the first one to truely show just how strong a bird pokemon could be, but, although it was pretty cool at the time, Noctowl and Staraptor outshine it these days (also some of its wins were a little unconvincing)

Pidgeot is fourth. Never really got the chance to shine much. Mostly there to scout for Team Rocket, pop their balloon and blow away Koffing's smokescreen. Double-Edge made it cool. Too bad it only used it once.

Unfezant lags in last place. Uninspiring through and through. Dull.

(If Fletchling were on this list, I'd put it above Unfezant)

Lord Trollbias

Y'all Salty Bishes
Honestly right now I'd say Ash's birds are like this:
Staraptor>/=Swellow>Noctowl>Pidgeot>Unfezant=Fletchling
Though I hope by the end of XY it's like this:
Talonflame>Staraptor>/=Swellow>Noctowl>Pidgeot>Unfezant

phanpycross

God-king
Honestly right now I'd say Ash's birds are like this:
Staraptor>/=Swellow>Noctowl>Pidgeot>Unfezant=Fletchling
Though I hope by the end of XY it's like this:
Talonflame>Staraptor>/=Swellow>Noctowl>Pidgeot>Unfezant

i agree, a basic stage bird getting a gym win 3 episodes after its capture, is pretty darn impressive.

Lord Trollbias

Y'all Salty Bishes
i agree, a basic stage bird getting a gym win 3 episodes after its capture, is pretty darn impressive.

IKR. I actually looked Ash's Fletchling up on Bulbapedia and it holds the honor of being Ash's first basic stage Flying-type Pokémon to get a win in a Gym battle prior to its evolution, not to mention it gave Froakie a hell of a battle when Ash tried to catch him. I have high hopes for him.

Soniman

Break the Limit
Why are some people so damn offended at the idea that people prefer Staraptor over Swellow?? lol

I consider them equal, but I picked Staraptor because it had more variety and power in it's move set while Swellow has general endurance and speed. Bot have a respectable number of wins under their belt and the both of them trained hard to learn their signature moves (Staraptor's Brave Bird and Swellow's Areial Ace). But Staraptor's knowledge of a fighting type move gives it great coverage over the types its weak against, helping to take out Paul's Weavile as a result and it also serves well to set him apart from the other flying type mons of Ash's.

Pidgeotto sucked because it was almost never used, not even in the Pokemon League, then when it's useful it's gone. Noctowl COULD have been interesting with it's intelligent personality, but then the writers forgot all about that in future episodes and he was just another balloon popper, good thing they finally found a niche for it at the Sinnoh League by having it know psychic moves like Extrasensory. Unfezant sucks, there's literally nothing remarkable about it besides the fact that its female..

Lord Trollbias

Y'all Salty Bishes
Why are some people so damn offended at the idea that people prefer Staraptor over Swellow?? lol

I consider them equal, but I picked Staraptor because it had more variety and power in it's move set while Swellow has general endurance and speed. Bot have a respectable number of wins under their belt and the both of them trained hard to learn their signature moves (Staraptor's Brave Bird and Swellow's Areial Ace). But Staraptor's knowledge of a fighting type move gives it great coverage over the types its weak against, helping to take out Paul's Weavile as a result and it also serves well to set him apart from the other flying type mons of Ash's.

Pidgeotto sucked because it was almost never used, not even in the Pokemon League, then when it's useful it's gone. Noctowl COULD have been interesting with it's intelligent personality, but then the writers forgot all about that in future episodes and he was just another balloon popper, good thing they finally found a niche for it at the Sinnoh League by having it know psychic moves like Extrasensory. Unfezant sucks, there's literally nothing remarkable about it besides the fact that its female..
This. I like both Swellow and Staraptor and I actually think Swellow (physically) edges Staraptor. But Staraptor's moveset absolutely blows away Sewllow's and that kind of variety will win you battles when superior physicality won't. Noctowl is a decent option and IMO Pigeot was ok, not better than Noctowl, but alot of people picked him for nostalgia reasons. Unfezant's only feat was beating Skyla. Literally that's it. She sucks.

Navin

MALDREAD

Preferring Staraptor over Swellow for reasons such as aesthetics or personality or something of that sort is perfectly acceptable since the OP didn't specify what exactly does "best" Flying type mean.

However saying Staraptor is stronger than Swellow as a battler is completely untrue and I find it laughable that people who actually watched the show think this is the case.

This. I like both Swellow and Staraptor and I actually think Swellow (physically) edges Staraptor. But Staraptor's moveset absolutely blows away Sewllow's and that kind of variety will win you battles when superior physicality won't. Noctowl is a decent option and IMO Pigeot was ok, not better than Noctowl, but alot of people picked him for nostalgia reasons. Unfezant's only feat was beating Skyla. Literally that's it. She sucks.

Not true whatsoever. The show makes it a habit that having superior speed, power, and endurance always wins out no matter how the variety of your movepool.

I'll quote myself from a page earlier:

First of all, Staraptor defeated Candice's Medicham - he got destroyed by Candice's Abomasnow. And Ash recalled Staraptor because of how much of disadvantage he was against Gastrodon - you can't say if Gastrodon didn't know Counter Shield, he would have won. There's no basis behind that.

Secondly, Swellow was more of a beast. He defeated Winona's Swellow, Katie's Venomoth and Scizor, future champion Tyson's Hariyama and Donphan, Frontier Brain Spenser's Venusaur, and Frontier Brain Tucker's Arcanine/Swampert (alongside Corphish). As Swellow, he always got at least a win/tie before he got KO'd with the exception being Latios.

If you're going to be impressed by Staraptor's resiliency because of how did he against Paul's Ice type (and Weavile was hardly was one of his top caliber Pokemon), then Swellow has easily demonstrated much greater feats of endurance (Thunder Armor, super-effective Donphan Rollouts, entire Tucker battle).

I'm shaking my head at all these people who are voting for Staraptor, who should have zero basis for winning this poll. Cool moveset = / = strongest. Staraptor's resume < Swellow's resume.

Status
Not open for further replies.