• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ash's most likeable team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disaster_Lord

Sad Bayleef is Sad.
Staraptor.. personality?! The way i hollered right now

Infernape was pretty bland outside of its sloppy backstory.

Anyway, back to topic:

- Kinglucha
- Corphish
- Gliscor
- Bulbasaur
- Scraggy
- Bayleef

Staraptor had an arc, staravia was visually distressed for not being chosen in a fight, this is the bird that started to show emotions.

Pidgeot gave a snow hug and gave a good goodbye episode, swellow had very small characterisation as base and was basically a battle droid with 2 perks in 1.5 regions. Noctowl had the poorest development though.

Talonflame followed on Staraptor and it shows, Unfezant was shafted despite its early characterization as pidove.

Staraptor did start the change.

Dax

Legend
Staravia did have an arc and showed personality in many instances. There was a time when Ash's team was pretty entertaining because they all worked and had fun together. Everyone felt like a family, and the bird benefited from that because it got in many funny situations. Unfortunately, the DP squad suffered from evolving and losing all their personality.

Disaster_Lord

Sad Bayleef is Sad.
Staravia did have an arc and showed personality in many instances. There was a time when Ash's team was pretty entertaining because they all worked and had fun together. Everyone felt like a family, and the bird benefited from that because it got in many funny situations. Unfortunately, the DP squad suffered from evolving and losing all their personality.

More like monferno stole the show and buizel got shafted, Torterra did keep a bit of his personality but got horribly axed since he wasn't able to keep with his larger psyche and then he was hit by the worf effect and became the fallguy to showcase how strong an opponent was.

Unfezant did have characterization as Pidove and Tranquil, heck she was even scared of scraggy at first.

I blame DP lack of filler centered on the Pokemon, aka good filler, when it would have mattered wich is right after the battle with Candice wich caused the downfall of Ash team characterization as it only focused on 3 pokemon and tying loose ends, this is also the drought of God stuff despite being a point where some episodes where relevant...and it nearly lasted a year...I know dawn was a Co star and her episodes weren't filler but it contributed on hampering Ash team badly.

Staraptor did start the change of focus on Ash birds as more than battle druids or scout ex machina roles.

Last edited:

Disaster_Lord

Sad Bayleef is Sad.
How salty can one be?

------------------------

Bulbasaur, Squirtle, Bayleef, Corphish, Gliscor, Lucha for me.

I'm not being salty, but swellow did continue the trend of non existent bird development in character, he was a battle Droid... Like Boldore, but roggenrola actually had a personality before evolving...

Several of Ash pokemon fall there, he is just the best example of this along Noctowl for its screen time.

Navin

MALDREAD
I'm not being salty, but swellow did continue the trend of non existent bird development in character, he was a battle Droid... Like Boldore, but roggenrola actually had a personality before evolving...
Several of Ash pokemon fall there, he is just the best example of this along Noctowl for its screen time.

Well ever since we debated, I've seen you making passive-aggressive comments shitting on it on multiple occasions in random posts. Like okay mate.

Disaster_Lord

Sad Bayleef is Sad.
Well ever since we debated, I've seen you making passive-aggressive comments shitting on it on multiple occasions in random posts. Like okay mate.

When people ask about a pokemon having no personality or a bird pokemon he is the one that fits the quota.

Dont blame me, he had 1.5 regions of time and no personality of pokemon/traveling companion interaction.

He was good at battles ONLY after evolving and on most he excelled through uninformed abilities or pulled out feats that make little sense, by the time it survived the tornado of doom the concept of suspension of disbelief was broken already, the latios fall was big for long time viewers since this DEM pulling bird fell without landing a hit, basically the biggest fall guy in Anime History to showcase latios toughness.

When someone mentions a battle Droid I can mention palpitoad, noctowl, Taurous, Boldore, Snorlax(YMMV) and Swellow...the funny thing is that roggenrola a pokemon without a face had more characterization as an NFE than swellow in his entire 1.5 region run.

When people mention a poorly developed mon, well swellow also comes, when people mention NFE win record taillow garbage one comes and by extent swellow, when people mention unbelievable feats swellow actually comes in good light just like soaked onyx or thunder armor along Pikachu or zard KO festival at Gary battle.

He is just there as an example, not often in good light other than on FE win record, given the fact that he had 1.5 regions.

Navin

MALDREAD
When people ask about a pokemon having no personality or a bird pokemon he is the one that fits the quota.

Dont blame me, he had 1.5 regions of time and no personality of pokemon/traveling companion interaction.

He was good at battles ONLY after evolving and on most he excelled through uninformed abilities or pulled out feats that make little sense, by the time it survived the tornado of doom the concept of suspension of disbelief was broken already, the latios fall was big for long time viewers since this DEM pulling bird fell without landing a hit, basically the biggest fall guy in Anime History to showcase latios toughness.

When someone mentions a battle Droid I can mention palpitoad, noctowl, Taurous, Boldore, Snorlax(YMMV) and Swellow...the funny thing is that roggenrola a pokemon without a face had more characterization as an NFE than swellow in his entire 1.5 region run.

When people mention a poorly developed mon, well swellow also comes, when people mention NFE win record taillow garbage one comes and by extent swellow, when people mention unbelievable feats swellow actually comes in good light just like soaked onyx or thunder armor along Pikachu or zard KO festival at Gary battle.

He is just there as an example, not often in good light other than on FE win record, given the fact that he had 1.5 regions.

Uh huh, not salty at all.

Reminder that this the most likeable team thread.

Afrodisiac

break up w yo gf, im bored
Girl, you're a Staraptor stan and your opinion is heavily biased. We get that.

Doesn't change the fact that Swellow had just as many instances to show its personality if not more, as well as being stronger and having more memorable moments.

inb4 "b-but thunder armor asspull! Kirito!"

Disaster_Lord

Sad Bayleef is Sad.
Uh huh, not salty at all.

Reminder that this the most likeable team thread.

I'm not saying people can't like him for being strong or confident...

But he really didn't interact with other mons unless it was a double battle.

Girl, you're a Staraptor stan and your opinion is heavily biased. We get that.

Doesn't change the fact that Swellow had just as many instances to show its personality if not more, as well as being stronger and having more memorable moments.

inb4 "b-but thunder armor asspull! Kirito!"

And Kirito copied Guts twice, literally ripped his scenes off twice.

I'm not overfeeding Staraptor, he did get stripped out of screen time and personality after his arc and evolution.

But as Starly or rather Staravia he did actually interacted with other mons outside of battling.

I'm not salty or hating on swellow, but saying he had meaningful interactions with the cast is like saying Dawn and Brock where a very dynamic comedy duo that screenhogged DP.

Other pokemon got quirks and perks that stuck to them and the audience remember, swellow only got battles...

Last edited:

Afrodisiac

break up w yo gf, im bored
I'm not saying people can't like him for being strong or confident...

But he really didn't interact with other mons unless it was a double battle.

Are you sure?

IIRC at Winona's town festival Swellow had a great time with the other mons (Skitty, Pikachu and others). That's one moment off the top of my head and i'm sure there's more

Disaster_Lord

Sad Bayleef is Sad.
Are you sure?

IIRC at Winona's town festival Swellow had a great time with the other mons (Skitty, Pikachu and others). That's one moment off the top of my head and i'm sure there's more

That's one of the two non gym get scenes he got, that I actually remember.

No love for Totodile... I'm heartbroken

Pikachu, Totodile, Krookodile, Gible, Bulbasaur, and Torkoal

I mentioned Totodile and gible!

Disaster_Lord

Sad Bayleef is Sad.
No one put Totodile in their team though : ) (Didn't say anything about Gible btw)

It would be hilarious to see the joyfully bite stuff and dance around, but they felt kinda one note, you know one of my favorite movie moments is the Ash vs Liza one, Totodile contributes a lot to that in movie 3,although it's mostly the frying pan sound at quaggy vs Pikachu.

Navin

MALDREAD
I'm not saying people can't like him for being strong or confident...I'm not salty or hating on swellow.

Tapu Koko. You just typed an unnecessary paragraph rant against it in a positive thread about likeable Pokémon (and your first post this thread had a passive-aggressive comment). And it's not in just this thread either.

---

And I don't think you realized, but Swellow's personality shined exclusively when battling. That may not be likeable, but don't say it had no personality.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
It depends on one's opinion, and in a fandom as big as Pokemon's there are many. In general, Charizard seems one of the most popular from what I've seen. That and Pikachu, though they have the benefit of appearing the most.

Disaster_Lord

Sad Bayleef is Sad.
Tapu Koko. You just typed an unnecessary paragraph rant against it in a positive thread about likeable Pokémon (and your first post this thread had a passive-aggressive comment). And it's not in just this thread either.

---

And I don't think you realized, but Swellow's personality shined exclusively when battling. That may not be likeable, but don't say it had no personality.

He is confident and works well with others, he doesn't give up and always pulls out something anyone other than Ash(Which trust in him blindly for crazy strategies) believe he could do.

Still this bird had almost no interactions, it had almost no out of battle development, heck even unfezant giving laps around the gym to celebrate her evolution is more than what swellow did.

I'm not being passive aggressive at all, I'm treating this with a bit of comedy.

Greneuliest808

Future Graduate
I'll admit. Totodile, Bulbasaur, Buizel, Scraggy and Gible can also be considered on Ash's likable team. Torkoal....no idea, but does anyone really like Torkoal? Maybe not.

TheMarvelMC

Kalos League Victor!
Hawlucha, Luchabull, Kinglucha, Papalucha, Brolucha, and Ash-Hawlucha.

The definitive list. Arguing with it leads to a High-Jump Kick to the face. Come at me Bros.

Status
Not open for further replies.