• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ash's new rival

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dax

Legend
I want a rival, just a female one. I'd like something different. Serena could fill that role if she decides to compete in gyms but I find it highly unlikely.

Baconator

I shook it.
I vote every character should have their mother as their rivals.

And if their mom wins they're grounded

And their mom takes their money and drives off in a convertible full of women.

#PokeMoms4Champions

★ Mr. Mime ★

Man of Mystery
I wouldn't mind if Ash's new rival turned out to be somewhat like Barry.

I always liked the fact that he was lighthearted but still posed a threat as a competent battler. Paul was the best but I don't want to see the writers try to make his new rival fill those shoes again like they did with Trip. I'd rather see his new rival with a less serious attitude but still be a skillful opponent all the way through.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
If they do give Ash a rival, I'd be ok if he was either like Paul or a more competent & level-headed version of Cameron

MattySadler

Tbh i don't want a rival.

Trip was awful and Paul as a rival was as good as it gets in my opinion without rehashing too much.

Yeah, I can't see them ever doing a rival who comes near Gary or Paul, especially a girl rival.

nuzamaki90

I'm hoping Ash gets two or three rivals this saga, with all of them being made-up characters because I dislike the in-game "rivals".

Mega Blaziken Man, when unmasked, could be a perfect rival for Ash seeing how he's already got a Mega Stone and a Blaziken so he must be experienced. I hope he's like a mix between Paul and Gary (Johto) so he can still be a competent and serious trainer but not a total *** and actually look out for Ash from time to time.

I'm hoping his second rival is a girl who is pretty much how Serena/Calem were in-game; only fighting Ash to test her Pokemon out and then totally ignoring him after but eventually realizing that he's a good friend/trainer. She can be a jerk all she wants and I'd like it because its different.

Aegiscalibur

Add Witty Title Here
Paul 2.0 would be the best option, but barring that, they should go with multiple lesser rivals. Rivals add conflict, which fuels the plot.

As for their gender, it does not matter much, but having females would make the overall gender ratio look better. I don't know if the jealousy subplot would work, but knowing the writers, they just might go for it.

I doubt the Mask of Blaziken is a rival, but at least it would be absurd enough to be different.

Lancetwister

All-or-Nothing!
How bout a villain as a rival this time. That would be epic for a Ash vs rival storyline.

It would be pretty interesting if there was a rival for Ash who seemed like a pretty nice guy on the outside but the other side to the rival would be him being a villain and secretly working for Team Flare. Heheh, when I think of a villain-rival, I would think of Silver from Gold and Silver.

CMDShift4

Anonymous
It would be pretty interesting if there was a rival for Ash who seemed like a pretty nice guy on the outside but the other side to the rival would be him being a villain and secretly working for Team Flare. Heheh, when I think of a villain-rival, I would think of Silver from Gold and Silver.

Kind of like that, although I don't want him to be a direct copy of Silver.

Sephora

yes I'm back

Navin

MALDREAD
+1 on the idea that a 'secret' villain is the rival.

How about Ash's father? Ash could meet his father, and become bitter that he left home and never came back, and his father destroys him every time until they eventually face off in an emotional quarterfinal/semifinal in which Ash finally prevails.

Lancetwister

All-or-Nothing!
+1 on the idea that a 'secret' villain is the rival.

How about Ash's father? Ash could meet his father, and become bitter that he left home and never came back, and his father destroys him every time until they eventually face off in an emotional quarterfinal/semifinal in which Ash finally prevails.

That would be awesome but I could see his father literally sweeping Ash's team all the time. His father would be OP considering how long he's been traveling. Not sure how long but it's probably much longer than how long Ash has traveled for.

Squirtle_007

I want everyone in the main cast gets a rival just like in BW, you can say all the crap you want about Unova but companions having rivals made the journey felt like three friends travelling together more than Ash and his cheer sqaud/clean service and the interactions were pure gold, it wasn't like in Hoenn where May had her rivals that never interacted with Ash outside of Drew who only interacted with him to get May's attention beating him, or like Sinnoh where Ash had his rivals, the girl had her dull rivals and never interacted with each other, of course, I want to see Ash with a couple of rivals, something different than Soap Opera Paul, a Cameron-like rival would be a nice twist because it would give a more even rivalry with him not being all that battle-oriented

Status
Not open for further replies.