• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ash's new rival

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I still think Ash won't have one, it's way too late in the series, every main rival he's gotten is at the beginning and we are already what 9 or 10 episodes into the series. Hey'll just get random rivals that will appear later on in the league.

It's not that late in the series, but I agree that the odds of him getting a rival are slim at this point. And like I said, it's not like he totally needs one either. If the writers motivate Ash in order ways, I don't see why he would need a rival to push him to do better. After Trip and some of the other BW rivals, I'll be really glad if the writers don't repeat their mistakes in XY.

J Ken

RAVE
If Ash does get a rival I pray that he doesn't end up like Trip. I liked Trip but it was cringe worthy seeing the writers consistently treat him like crap while shoving all the other rivals in our faces with their gags. I also don't want another Paul because it was cringe worthy to see the writers treat him like Arceus while they made everyone else around him look like crap.

tomon

I don't want Ash to have rival until the Pokemon League.
that seem likely. doesn't he always have a rival at the start of some league or tournament?

SerenaForTheWin

Yusarin >_<
I don't want Ash to have rival until the Pokemon League.
do we hope where ash this season won't have a rival in the whole xy series, if that happens i wonder what can bring ash to motivate himself if he in case doesn't have one.

Räven Velish

black lives matter
Maybe Trevor and Tierno? They can be a traveling group of best friends that meet up with Ash from time to time and battle him.

Everlasting

Everything stays.

UnbelievableUrsula

Cute and Creepy!
Yeah, I would prefer Ash to meet just a few people along the way who he'll see later on at the league, instead of having one main recurring rival. I think it'd be more interesting that way. I also would like for him to meet strong competitors at the league. DP and BW messed up in giving Ash too many rivals.

I agree too. It would be nice if he would just have small short rivalries with characters for a few episodes and not the whole season. That way it would be interesting and people won't complain too much if he lost to some of them.

Lorde

Maybe Trevor and Tierno? They can be a traveling group of best friends that meet up with Ash from time to time and battle him.

While those seem like the likeliest candidates, why haven't they shown up by now? I mean true, Barry didn't show up until mid-DP, but at least Ash had one other rival in the meantime. Ash has nobody to push him to do better at the moment and if Tierno and Trevor show up in mid-XY, I'm going to be a bit pressed given that they should've been Ash's rivals from the start imo.

Vernikova

Champion
What type of person do you want as the new rival?

I'd like a friendly rival for Ash. Not as antagonistic as Gary or Paul but not as silly as Barry either. The rival shouldn't be hyper-competent like and shouldn't be a newbie trainer like Trip was unless they pull off a respectable reason as to why they're so good. We don't want Ash to look any worse than he usually does. A character who's trained for a while and been to some regions though not necessarily as experienced as Ash. A slightly smarter Ash would be ideal though they should disagree on some aspects but not to the degree that Ash and Paul disagreed.

Another alternative to the above would be a trainer much more experienced than Ash who he strives to beat. Kind of like a Dawn/Zoey dynamic with the difference being that Ash's rival would be likeable and he would eventually defeat them. I think Reggie would be an ideal model for such a rival though he wouldn't actually be helping him in such a direct manner. With this, a top four finish wouldn't feel so bad as long as the elimination battle didn't seem like a car accident. Or, better yet, have Ash lose to them in their first conference battle and then, in the next region, let him defeat them for his first win.

I have more ideas but then I'd be writing a long fanfiction template.

Räven Velish

black lives matter
I'd like a friendly rival for Ash. Not as antagonistic as Gary or Paul but not as silly as Barry either. The rival shouldn't be hyper-competent like and shouldn't be a newbie trainer like Trip was unless they pull off a respectable reason as to why they're so good. We don't want Ash to look any worse than he usually does. A character who's trained for a while and been to some regions though not necessarily as experienced as Ash. A slightly smarter Ash would be ideal though they should disagree on some aspects but not to the degree that Ash and Paul disagreed.

Another alternative to the above would be a trainer much more experienced than Ash who he strives to beat. Kind of like a Dawn/Zoey dynamic with the difference being that Ash's rival would be likeable and he would eventually defeat them. I think Reggie would be an ideal model for such a rival though he wouldn't actually be helping him in such a direct manner. With this, a top four finish wouldn't feel so bad as long as the elimination battle didn't seem like a car accident. Or, better yet, have Ash lose to them in their first conference battle and then, in the next region, let him defeat them for his first win.

I have more ideas but then I'd be writing a long fanfiction template.

If I have to be completely honest, Gary was the best Rival. He was an arrogant ******bag that had been worst enemies with Ash for years. Plus the show back then was less... childish... Now I'm not a Genwunner. I actually grew up when the Sinnoh saga was on. But watching Pokemon TV, comparing Kanto and Johto to the rest of the series, it was better in Kanto and Johto. We need another rival like Gary. Not like Paul, he was emo. Like Gary.

Ace Kenshader

Dreaming sexy
If I were to make a guess on Ash's Kalos rival, I would place my bets on Shauna, since she is one of the three main game characters that haven't been introduced in the anime yet.

Lorde

If I were to make a guess on Ash's Kalos rival, I would place my bets on Shauna, since she is one of the three main game characters that haven't been introduced in the anime yet.

I think that last part is the crux of the issue: she hasn't been introduced yet. If the writers had a rival planned for Ash, why are we a dozen episodes into the saga without said rival? Even if Shauna pulls a Barry and debuts halfway through the saga, I probably wouldn't care for her anymore given that the XY hype will have fizzled out by then. I like the idea of Shauna being a rival now because Gen 6 just started, but halfway through it I won't be as optimistic about Shauna's potential as a rival.

J Ken

RAVE
Tbh if we have a rival I want a balanced well treated one. Gary was all talk most the time, Paul was too heavily favored by the writers, the writers didn't even try with Trip. As long as Ash's next main rival is nothing like the later 3 outside an arrogant attitude then I'm fine with who we get.

Lorde

^ It would be cool if they made her one of his main rivals, but a competent one. Not like Bianca, who was really clumsy, but like Paul except on the personality.

Honestly, if Ash gets a Paul-esque rival with personality, I probably wouldn't be interested in them. I liked Paul because he acted like a jerk. If Ash got a friendly rival, it would be hard to picture them having an intense rivalry imo, so it would make the entire thing redundant. And even though Bianca gets a lot of flack, at least she was interesting.

Sephora

yes I'm back
I honestly think this is like (sorry for the infamous comparison) AG where Satoshi won't get a rival this time around. A rival in the league for sure, but not a regional rival like Gary, Paul, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.