• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ash's new rival

Status
Not open for further replies.
Newbie trainers don't really work as rivals for Ash anymore. The problem, as we saw with Trip, is that the newbie ends up being massively overpowered whilst Ash is made to regress. I prefer it if he gets an experienced rival as there is better tension and feels more respectful towards Ash.

I don't know about that; I feel like people would be equally dissatisfied with an experienced rival if Ash looks bad after losing some of his battles with him. I'd personally like such a rival, but I feel like we need to have a good background with the rival first, as well as a plausible explanation for his motivations and goals, if a majority will have to like him. I might be pressed with an experienced rival if we don't have good enough motivations or background, something that will perfectly explain his existence on the saga.

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
I just had a crazy thought after seeing a thread in another section.

If they wanted to do something completely different... what if the rival was AZ?

Think about it. The entire premise of his battling the player at the end of the game is to "learn what a Pokemon Trainer is." If he was Ash's rival in some regard, that would be a perfect way for him to learn that lesson. At the very least, he could turn up for the League.

WaterShuriken

"I..I..Iron Tail, Pikachu."

If they wanted to do something completely different... what if the rival was AZ?

Think about it. The entire premise of his battling the player at the end of the game is to "learn what a Pokemon Trainer is." If he was Ash's rival in some regard, that would be a perfect way for him to learn that lesson. At the very least, he could turn up for the League.

that's interesting but I think they would just go the N route and have it be a "moral battle" instead of a pokemon battle.

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
that's interesting but I think they would just go the N route and have it be a "moral battle" instead of a pokemon battle.

I see your point, though I think there was more of an excuse for N not to use any Pokemon in the anime because of his story. Of course, on the other hand, depending on what gets taken out of AZ's story in adaptation, the same thing could happen.

Maybe there could be an Episode N-esque arc in which AZ is a major figure in some way...

EmphaticPikachu

A tired little girl~

Don't get me expecting to much butler, cause I'll have to hold you to that.

:<

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I honestly don't think AZ would be a good choice of rival for Ash. I could see AZ appearing a few times and kind of mentoring Ash to help him avoid the same mistakes he made and stuff, but I don't like the idea of an adult rival for Ash which is why I'm also against the Blaziken Mask being his rival. Like, why can't an ordinary kid be Ash's rival instead? At least they could relate to each other in that case.

nuzamaki90

I'd honestly love that, a lot. Although, I think Ash and AZ will only end up battling once, and that battle would probably be after the League before Ash is about to leave Kalos.

I also can't even really find a reason why he would go into collecting gym badges when in-game he is searching for Floette.

Would be good for if gary came back as a one of the rivals for ash, since we know what his personality is like and also that his team is strong since he has 6 pokemon capable of mega evolving. It would be a good excuse to show if he has connections to ash and serena past, focus on his study of megas aswell and to piss off ash.

Lorde

I'd honestly love that, a lot. Although, I think Ash and AZ will only end up battling once, and that battle would probably be after the League before Ash is about to leave Kalos.

I also can't even really find a reason why he would go into collecting gym badges when in-game he is searching for Floette.

I agree about the badge thing. I honestly can't see AZ collecting badges in the anime and just the thought of him meeting up with Ash and battling him as a rival creeps me out. Why would a grown, 3,000+ year old man need a rivalry with a 10 year old boy? It's just not what I want to see in the XY saga. :x

Faker500

Trolls aren't funny!
I don't know about that; I feel like people would be equally dissatisfied with an experienced rival if Ash looks bad after losing some of his battles with him. I'd personally like such a rival, but I feel like we need to have a good background with the rival first, as well as a plausible explanation for his motivations and goals, if a majority will have to like him. I might be pressed with an experienced rival if we don't have good enough motivations or background, something that will perfectly explain his existence on the saga.

People will dissatisfied no matter what kind of rival it is. People still complained about Paul always beating Ash up while some of his other ones looked like they didn't know what they were doing. It all depends on if you like that character or not. I liked Trip as a character, however as a rival is a different story.

People will dissatisfied no matter what kind of rival it is. People still complained about Paul always beating Ash up while some of his other ones looked like they didn't know what they were doing. It all depends on if you like that character or not.

Heh, yeah. I forgot I was talking about the Pokemon fandom. :p

Well, considering Sanpei's chances of being a main rival seem to be diminishing more and more by the day, I'm not at all that pressed. Although I am still standing by for a main rival later on.

pokemasterz

King of The Pirates
I think that a good rival to Ash would be a new character completely. I also am hoping that Gary Oak returns for at least one episode since he is mentioned in the X Y game.

Lorde

I also am hoping that Gary Oak returns for at least one episode since he is mentioned in the X Y game.

Except Gary isn't mentioned in the games - Blue is, and Gary =/= Blue. Therefore I don't think Gary would return, nor would I want him to. He's not really Ash's rival anymore and I'd honestly prefer someone like Sanpei or Shauna or even Calem to be Ash's rival at this point even if the last one isn't very likely.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
Id like an experienced8anced rival for ash. Someone we can buy him struggling to beat. And instead of a head strong jerk. Perhaps someone to teach ash a thing or two.

Like wise I want ashes main rival aka the one he looses to or comes real close to be a rookie trainer. Now hear me out. Not a rookie like trip, as in not a rookie that keeps beating ash. But rather one that keeps loosing to ash. We always think of a rival as someone ash struggles to beat. But what if he has a very clear cut rival, that wants to best ash and but looses frequently. But as we continue to be exposed we seem this character learn and grow till his victory over ash feels really deserved and it will also give as a chance to loose in a way that challenges him.

Also I know I said he. But for added comedy and possible hat chewing from serrena due to her constantly chasing ash wanting to best him. Possibly make her shawna?

Like wise I want ashes main rival aka the one he looses to or comes real close to be a rookie trainer. Now hear me out. Not a rookie like trip, as in not a rookie that keeps beating ash. But rather one that keeps loosing to ash. We always think of a rival as someone ash struggles to beat. But what if he has a very clear cut rival, that wants to best ash and but looses frequently. But as we continue to be exposed we seem this character learn and grow till his victory over ash feels really deserved and it will also give as a chance to loose in a way that challenges him.\

Honestly, I'd like to see that as well. A rival who constantly keeps losing to Ash and wants to win over him would bring a lot of leeway for development for the rival. It sounds like a great subplot.

Lord Trollbias

Y'all Salty Bishes
I'd rather Ash not lose to a newbie trainer (good subplot or not). He already lost to an idiot in BW and if he loses in the XY League it damn well be to the League's winner.

I'd rather Ash not lose to a newbie trainer (good subplot or not). He already lost to an idiot in BW and if he loses in the XY League it damn well be to the League's winner.

We were not talking about Ash losing to a newbie rival. We were talking about the other way around. A newbie rival who constantly loses to Ash and wants to win over him because of this is what I found particularly interesting about the subject.

Akwakwak

I'm hungry
We were not talking about Ash losing to a newbie rival. We were talking about the other way around. A newbie rival who constantly loses to Ash and wants to win over him because of this is what I found particularly interesting about the subject.

I like this idea and the idea of it being Shauna since in the games I feel it's Shauna that has a crush on the Player character. I mean the fireworks scene, really c'mon. It would be great to see Serena jelly. Like Shauna is bad but Ash also helps her and spends time teaching her and Serena gets mad, it would be great. I just don't want Paul 2.0.

Lord Trollbias

Y'all Salty Bishes
I'm still not cool with Ash losing to a guy he's beaten before at the League. If we are to have said rival I'd rather he lose but close the gap to Ash (1st fight with Ash results in an Ash sweep-> 1 or 2 other fights where rival has progressed but Ash still wins Pokemon to spare-> Ash wins 6-5 in the league having to go all out). Shows the rival's progression while still keeping Ash looking good by beating the guy dedicated to one upping him in a close fight

Status
Not open for further replies.