• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ash's Past Teams and Evolutions

munchlaxboy

Catching up on XY
Part of what makes Pokemon so interesting is the appearance and personalities of the Pokemon themselves. Some like how cute the unevolved Pokemon look, yet some enjoy seeing the toughness of evolved powerhouse Pokemon.

Also, if you didn't know already, the Pokemon Anime is basically one big marketing ploy. Whatever sells is shown on TV.

With both these things being said, what do you think of the evolving and (mainly) non-evolving of Ash's Pokemon over the years? Who should have stayed unevolved, or who should have evolved, or was it all right that way it was? Just to give you guys a little rundown of Ash's old teams...

Kanto/Orange Islands

Pikachu
Caterpie ~ Metapod ~ Butterfree (released)
Pidgeotto ~ Pidgeot (released)
Bulbasaur
Charmander ~ Charmeleon ~ Charizard (in Charicific Valley)
Squirtle (with the Squirtle Squad)
Krabby ~ Kingler
Primeape (with Anthony)
Haunter (released)
Tauros (can't evolve)
Muk (can't evolve)
Lapras (can't evolve/released)
Snorlax (can't evolve)

Johto

Heracross (can't evolve)
Chikorita ~ Bayleef
Cyndaquil ~ (in Sinnoh) ~ Quilava
Totodile
Noctowl (can't evolve)
Phanpy ~ (in Battle Frontier) ~ Donphan
Larvitar

Hoenn/Battle Frontier

Treecko ~ Grovyle ~ Sceptile
Taillow ~ Swellow
Corphish
Torkoal (can't evolve)
Snorunt ~ Glalie
Aipom

Sinnoh

Starly ~ Staravia ~ Staraptor
Turtwig ~ Grotle ~ Torterra
Buizel
Gligar ~ Gliscor (with the Air Battle Master)
Chimchar ~ Monferno ~ Infernape
Gible

*AVOID CURRENT AND FUTURE BLACK AND WHITE DISCUSSION, AS WE DO NOT KNOW WHAT WILL BECOME OF ALL OF THEM.*

**PLEASE DO NOT NITPICK THE LIST I MADE ABOVE. I JUST PUT WHATEVER POKEMON ASH HAD IN HIS POSSESSION FOR AT LEAST TWO EPISODES.**

~~~

Since I was only a heavy watcher of Kanto/Orange Islands/Johto, I'm only going to talk about them myself.

Personally, I loved that the writers kept Bulbasaur, Squirtle, and Totodile unevolved. By being unevolved, Bulbasaur was always the underdog (or undersaur) in its matches and always showed so much courage. Ivysaur looks to weird and girly (to me, that is), and Bulbasaur's personality just wouldn't work with Venusaur. Totodile basically had to stay unevolved to keep its humorous personality. Squirtle just looks cooler and more appealing than Wartortle and Blastoise (in my opinion). Besides, Gary has a Blastoise and... I don't know. It just wouldn't work. Also, Squirtle was a pretty humorous Pokemon, and evolving might have killed that personality. And, lastly, no Wartortle/Blastoise belongs in the Squirtle Squad.

I also completely agree with Charmander evolving all the way into Charizard. I don't think anyone can deny that Charizard is undoubtedly one of the coolest Pokemon around. Giving Ash's a cutesy Pikachu, and next to little Bulbasaur and Squirtle, Charizard was an absolute beast and brought variety to Ash's team. The writers move was clearly successful, since next to Pikachu, Charizard is probably the (if not, one of) most recognizable Pokemon ever.

The last two Pokemon I want to talk about are Bayleef and Quilava. I think that Bayleef should have evolved even further into Meganium. Chikarita/Bayleef was probably the main starter of Johto for Ash, and like Charizard, she should have been the fully evolved Pokemon. Maybe it could have been to impress Ash (because, you know, she loves him). Oh, and Cyndaquil. The writers killed Cyndaquil. They really did. Cyndaquil was arguably Ash's best battler of Johto, scoring many victories (including the fantastic battle against Jasmine). Cyndaquil, in my opinion, is not all that cute. Quilava is very cool-looking and just seems like the pure-battling type of Pokemon. Cyndaquil needed to evolve then. It didn't have that much of a personality going for, just its amazing battle prowess. We didn't need another fully evolved Fire starter. Quilava would have been perfect. But, what makes me the most angry, and what is arguably the WORST evolution in the Anime of all time, was evolving Cyndaquil in Sinnoh. It was wrong on so many levels. The older viewers watched little Cyndaquil grow up and become an amazing little Pokemon for about 130 episodes. Then, OVER 500 EPISODES AFTER ASH OBTAINED CYNDAQUIL, it evolves. Right then and there. It wasn't even a big part of the episode! In fact, it was extremely miniscule! Then, later on, Quilava gets one measly 10-second battle that ends in a DRAW. If you're going to make an old, skillful Pokemon evolve, at least let it be a hero or something. It was stupid. Pure stupidity (IN MY OPINION). It was like they tossed the new viewers (approx: 5-10 years old) a bone and said here's one of Ash's old Pokemon that you've never seen, and we'll evolve it before your very eyes! I felt as if the new viewers and the show did not DESERVE to evolve Cyndaquil, and that is never should have happened this late.

Anywho... What do you guys think about all this?

^ Please feel free to copy/paste the list of Ash's old teams that I made above. ^

Last edited:

TehLulzMastur

You basically said most of what my opinions are, so here's a hypothetical situation: If Ash kept Larvitar, and brought it to Hoenn, I could of seen it eventually evolving into Tyranitar. I realize that Charizard can still be called upon at any time, but I'm sure that the fanbase would of loved Tyranitar as the new resident badass of Ash's team.

Of course, this is all hypothetical.

Silent Conversation

Chart obsessed wanker
If Ash kept Larvitar, and brought it to Hoenn, I could of seen it eventually evolving into Tyranitar.

I could not have. Seeing Ash with a Tyranitar would be like seeing Ash with a Dragonite - it just doesn't look right. Too powerful of a Pokemon for a trainer who's supposed to personify all the normal trainers out there.

Salamandre

You basically said most of what my opinions are, so here's a hypothetical situation: If Ash kept Larvitar, and brought it to Hoenn, I could of seen it eventually evolving into Tyranitar. I realize that Charizard can still be called upon at any time, but I'm sure that the fanbase would of loved Tyranitar as the new resident badass of Ash's team.

Of course, this is all hypothetical.

hell yes i would love to have and still hoping now that ash runs into larvitar again. If they ever decide to do battle frontier jhoto saga its a must. If he did get to fully evolve larvitar yes it would make his team look like crap but still its one my all time favorites

CyberBlaziken

A Greater Evil
I could see Gible evolving and a possible powerhouse.
C'mon, Dragon types are awesome and he does have one so he should evolve it all the way. and he doesn't capture that type specifically.
But the Tyranitar is too much, doesn't go with Ash's style or team.

Your description of keeping Squirtle and Bulbasaur was fine with me. Evolving them wouldn't go with what they do (Squirtle Squad and Keeping peace in Oak's Ranch)
But also, evolving Bulbasaur to Ivysaur wouldn't have been that bad :/
Totdodile and Corphish are fine with the way they are :)

Bayleef should've evolved. Each region Ash has a fully evolved starter and only in Johto this didn't happen. I mean c'mon, you evolve it to it's second stage so then finish it.
Also the same with Quilava.
He captured all Fire Starters with the letter 'C' and since Charizard and Infernape evolved, so should have Cyndaquil fully.

munchlaxboy

Catching up on XY
Also the same with Quilava.
He captured all Fire Starters with the letter 'C' and since Charizard and Infernape evolved, so should have Cyndaquil fully.

I don't think it would've been smart to have two fully-evolved Fire starters in a row. That might have been pushin' it a bit. Bayleef/Meganium should have been the fully evolved one.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
I don't think it would've been smart to have two fully-evolved Fire starters in a row. That might have been pushin' it a bit. Bayleef/Meganium should have been the fully evolved one.

I don't really think Bayleef needed to evolve again, it was fine. Obviously Cynda should have evolved somewhere around mid-Johto, its really bizarre the writers didn't take advantage of Quilava's popularity. Totodile was never really a battler so who knows.

I also feel he should have gotten Phanpy much earlier so it could have become a Donphan back in Johto, rather than in AG.

What I like about the later arcs is all of Ash's team evolves except for one. Gible was a late capture, and I highly suspect it'll be treated like Phanpy and make a return to evolve later....especially with Iris being a dragon-type trainer it was likely a prelude to her.

d4rk_tailed

Doritoes,Leaf Storm!
I could see Gabite with Ash. Having it stuck in the Tobias battle and get a cheap Rock Smash and DM in......it stank of desperation on the writers part to get a cheap loss in for Ash to get the episode out the way.

And, I did want to see Crawdaunt. That victory over Tucker was the craziest thing Ive seen in the animé in a serious battle. A bird and small crab beating a giant mud fish and 'legendary' fire dog? I wouldnt have minded them evening the odds a bit.

Moreover, Quilava banged out so many wins in Johto, how it didnt evolve at least after Jasmine or Pryce is still beyond me.

KingMinun

Dawn/Sinnoh Fan!
Turtwig should have stayed as Turtwig. I think once Turtwig evolved into Grotle, its personality disappeared. And I prefer it when Pokemon with personality dont evolve to keep their personality.

Manaphione123

Merely A Puppet
In my opinion Ash should have an ultimate team for the Sinnoh League rather than hat he is doing now.
For me this consists of;
Pikachu
Charizard
Sceptile
Floatzel
Infernape
Staraptor

Buizel should definitely evolve. It is just so good. Why is it still in it's basic form when it has so much potential?

BlueVapor

I understand why Squirtle didn't evolve, but I really believe that Bulbasaur should've evolved into at least Ivysaur.

Johto, Cyndaquil and/or Totodile really should've evolved at least once each, and Phanpy should have been gotten earlier.

My only real problem with AG is that Snorunt was captured semi-late, and we didn't even really get to see much of Glalie.

I think Sinnoh was handled perfectly, in terms of who evolves/who doesn't evolve.

Salamandre

Buizel should definitely evolve. It is just so good. Why is it still in it's basic form when it has so much potential?

Buizel doesn't seem to have anything against its evolved form unlike pikachu or meowth. Though like bulbasuar its atitudes so strong that it just doesn't feel like it. And since were talking about bulbasuar i say it would have been charizards biggest rival. As grass and fire lines are the opposite of each other grass types get friendlier through evolution while fires types get more arogrant, it might have obeyed ash instantly and soak all of his respect as the team powerhouse. So point is you gotta really put buizel in a situation were it has no choice but to evolve like maybe against a heatran or it'll stay a baby eel.

munchlaxboy

Catching up on XY
So point is you gotta really put buizel in a situation were it has no choice but to evolve like maybe against a heatran or it'll stay a baby eel.

Pretty sure Buizel is based of an otter, buddy. :)

Though I hardly watched Sinnoh, Buizel's personality fits well. And Floatzel just wouldn't seem to suit Ash... It looks kinda feminine and...I don't know. Just doesn't seem like a good fit.

Haunter ゴースト

Their is a lot of things that could be said to this, but i'll keep it short.

Charizard and Sceptile were the greatest evolution Ash has had.
Pikachu, Bulbasaur, Squirtle, Totodile, Corphish, Buizel and Bayleef (some people thought it should evolve? :s ) were great decisions not to evolve.

\Mightyena/

Ash can't have a super strong dragon type, nor should he have had a Garchomp due to the fact that to many of the higher end trainers in the show (such as Cynthia) had that type of Pokemon. That being said, I still find it very strange as to why some of his Pokemon just don't evolve.

ChaosMage

Izit cuz I is black?
Corphish and Buizel both should have evolved. I'm glad the water-types are finally going to be delivered some justice with Oshawott's inevitable evolution.

Eternal Darkness

Eternal Evil
I always hoped that Totodile would evolve to keep with the other two Johto starters.

streetlightdsb

Uni hiatus
Their is a lot of things that could be said to this, but i'll keep it short.

Charizard and Sceptile were the greatest evolution Ash has had.
Pikachu, Bulbasaur, Squirtle, Totodile, Corphish, Buizel and Bayleef (some people thought it should evolve? :s ) were great decisions not to evolve.
@Bold. No. Just no.

Ash can't have a super strong dragon type, nor should he have had a Garchomp due to the fact that to many of the higher end trainers in the show (such as Cynthia) had that type of Pokemon. That being said, I still find it very strange as to why some of his Pokemon just don't evolve.

Ash can have any Pokemon the writers decide to give him. It's one of those fan made rules that always get proven wrong. Remember, people thought Ash would never even get a Dragon type before Gible. If the writers wanted to give Ash a psedo legendary they would; it's just they haven't seen an opportunity yet.

streetlightdsb

Uni hiatus
Imagine Totodile's personality with Croconaw? It just wouldn't fit. It would have been perfect to have basic Totodile, first stage Quilava, and final stage Meganium.

Opinions. People have them. I can see Totodile's personality on Feraligatr, you saying "it wouldn't fit" means nothing. I'm sure people thought Muk didn't fit Ash before he caught it, but he did. Totodile is probably Ash's weakest Pokemon, and evolving it to at least Croconaw would undoubtedly have made it stronger.