• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ash's Personality (Kanto vs. Unova)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueRuby

I've been watching the new Unova saga in English, and I'm having a VERY hard time believing that this is the same Ash that was in Kanto...

Let me explain:

Ash in the Kanto saga was ambitious in a serious way.

In Unova, Ash is ambitious in an embarrassingly confident way.

This isn't exactly what I'd call character development... more like a change in personality.

Example:
We first see Ash in his room. He clenches his fist, makes a serious face and says: "Yes! I am Ash!"

In the newer series, I can't imagine Ash having that kind of attitude.
We first see Ash in his room in Unova. He's acting confident and happy in a childish way.

Ash used to take training seriously. (ex: Using the water wheel to power Pikachu up)

Now he treats it like a fun, childish game...

This is why I'm having a hard time relating Unova Ash to Kanto Ash. =/
(yes, PKMN TRNG IS SRS BUSINESS XD)

pokeaussie37

Welcome to the anime! lol.

That's how it is though, the games and the anime signify some sort of a reboot. Unfortunately all the development we saw through Hoenn and Sinnoh seems to have gone down the drain.

It is still the same Ash though. Him and Pikachu will be there forever, basically.

'Ferno

Top-Down Trainer
Ah. The old Ash. I'll miss 'em.

The old Ash was very determined, and he'd get really dismayed if he lost in a league, maybe even shed a tear or five, making the audience really feel for the guy.

The current Ash looks like he won't even bat an eyelash (when) he loses this time around, he'll just be like: "Wow that was an awesome battle! It kinda sucks that we lost but we had fun- right, buddy? Pikachuu!"

-_-...

Last edited:

randomspot555

The old Ash was very determined, and he'd get really dismayed if he lost in a league, maybe even shed a tear or five, making the audience really feel for the guy.

The current Ash looks like he won't even bat an eyelash (when) he loses this time around, he'll just be like: "Wow that was an awesome battle! It kinda sucks that we lost but we had fun- right, buddy? Pikachuu!"

-_-...

Crying in your room for days on end after every loss is dumb, immature, and frankly, not very entertaining. It's good once, but after that it's just eye-rollingly dumb.

Ash doesn't deal with losses like you described. Watch the episode after the first full battle of Paul. That's how he deals with loss. He strives to get better. He doesn't just brush it off.

LilyTwo

-_-...

Quoted for truth.

It's good that he doesn't cry about it as much as he used to do, but I would like to see some proper disappointment - it's only human to feel sad and to be down from time to time, and I just can't relate to nowadays Ash now that he's lost this part of him...

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
They should have kept him the way he was in Hoenn. He was mature but still did crazy things and loss his temper often.

thewookie1

Why cant the pokemon writers just keep the storyline linear so we can all understand it?

KibaLG8

Well-Known Member since the DP Series.
Since you are a veteran of the show.... I assume since you compared it to the first episode of the series... you should be able to catch on... But Ash is serious though.... like
Losing to Trip didn't even phase Ash
, unlike when he lost to Paul, he'd be mad or get depressed(DP133), or look how he took losing to Tobias.haha Looks like Ash's learnings from DP moved to Unova.

randomspot555

They should have kept him the way he was in Hoenn. He was mature but still did crazy things and loss his temper often.

I think that's one of those things that can be overdone. I think it's better in smaller doses.

Like after he (BW006 spoilers ahead)
wins the first Unova gym badge, after 5 episodes of Iris all going "such a child" he just has HAD it with her and says "You know what? Next, I'm battling you!"

I thought that was a nice, subtle nod to Ash's temper. It's not like how he lost it when Mankey took his hat, but it was nice.

AmusedMilk

Oh, hey, Big Zam!
He could be a little more positive. It can't hurt ya.

gliscor&yanmega

I really see no difference between Ash in Unova and Kanto, or any region really. He seems the same through out each region in my eyes at less.

RocketTwurpSLR

pokemonmaniacSLR
KANTO he was more inspiring

ash realy inspired me never to give up

everytime im in a nervous situatoin i think "what will ash do"

GetOutOfBox

Original Series Fan
I kind of liked and both disliked the Original Series Ash. He was much more realistic as a character (he was less "nice", he was still a great guy, but he pouted, whined, cryed just as much as your average 10 year old boy would), and seemingly more serious about training. There were moments when he was kind of annoying though. The new Ash is still just as confident, but he doesn't seem to care about battles as much as he used to. Being a pokemon master doesn't seem to be particularly important to him anymore, he just seems to want to just go with the flow, not caring if he wins/loses.

The positive aspect of his new personality is that he has less annoying moments, and seems more mature. I think I prefer his old personality though.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
Kids acted different in the 90s

I have watched a couple of episodes from Black and White and it seems to me like Ash's personality regressed. He seems more childlike compared to all the other seasons. In Kanto, Ash was learning to become a fine trainer and it seemed like he was progressing as a great trainer throughout all the other regions. It seems strange to me because he seems like a completely different character, and not in a good way. He seems more immature and childlike and I am not sure if it is just me or if other people notice this too.

randomspot555

I kind of liked and both disliked the Original Series Ash. He was much more realistic as a character (he was less "nice", he was still a great guy, but he pouted, whined, cryed just as much as your average 10 year old boy would), and seemingly more serious about training. There were moments when he was kind of annoying though. The new Ash is still just as confident, but he doesn't seem to care about battles as much as he used to. Being a pokemon master doesn't seem to be particularly important to him anymore, he just seems to want to just go with the flow, not caring if he wins/loses.

The positive aspect of his new personality is that he has less annoying moments, and seems more mature. I think I prefer his old personality though.

He's less serious about training now? I don't see that. Remember he spent most of the time between his 8th badge and the Indigo League screwing around (I think Misty and Brock even point this out in an episode or two to discount the possibility that he was doing off-"camera" training). In D/P, he was constantly seen training during and before the league.

I also think it's hard to say he doesn't care about being a "Pokemon Master" due to how vague the perimeters of that term are.

Sibone

an even bigger question, why is he still 10? he he is entering his 5th league, he has competed in the battle frontier and orange leauge also. there have been over 600 episodes and in most episodes it goes from early morning to night time or even spreads over 2 days so why hasnt he turned at least 11 yet?

an even bigger question, why is he still 10? he he is entering his 5th league, he has competed in the battle frontier and orange leauge also. there have been over 600 episodes and in most episodes it goes from early morning to night time or even spreads over 2 days so why hasnt he turned at least 11 yet?

Yes I am glad someone else mentioned this. I really don't understand it at all. In fact, it kind of turns me away from the show. It is almost as though they are rebooting the show as if the other regions never happened (Lol, over exaggeration but you get my point)

Simon Alexander

basalit-an

Because no one ages in the show.

BW!Ash seems more mature to me (however, I've only seen up to the 4th episode soooo I can't say too much). In the beginning, he was excited, as any 10-year-old would be to go on a trip with his mom and Professor Oak to a new region with new pokemon. He's demonstrated how serious he is about this league by
taking on all three of the first gym leaders to experience as many new pokemon as he can. (I so wish we could have done that in the game. Maybe in the companion?)
The only thing I'm worried about is that all of the SPECIAL TRAININ' Ash did in Sinnoh has been wiped from his memory and we'll no longer see cool spin-dodges, Counter Shield or Ice Aqua Jet D:

Status
Not open for further replies.