• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ash's Personality (Kanto vs. Unova)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pokeaussie37

randomspot555 said:
Did you even watch the episode?

Unlikely :p

Speaking of Snivy I'm looking forward to it's capture episode this weekend.

On Topic: I think he still retains the knowledge, ability and experience that he had in the last generation, but he's still learning how to apply it to the new region, inexperienced Pokemon and different trainers. Let's face it, battling Paul over and over again like he did, he got used to him eventually. Trip is completely new to Ash, so his strategies (and definitely luck) were different. But Ash isn't too different, he just has inexperienced Pokemon who lack knowledge with his method, and a Zekrom-Zapped Pikachu.

Last edited:

Pinsirius

Sentimental Fool ;)
Indigo Ash was ambitious, but whiny and incredibly pretentious. His confidence was based on self-esteem, not experience or feats. I'm surprised no one has mentioned that he got so high on himself during the Orange Islands that he needed an Elite Four member to decimate him to get him to realize "Hey, this isn't all about me, my friends are doing all the work".

By Unova, the show is a lot more mellow. It's comfortable with what it is, and thus is Ash. I found his reaction after his third (?) loss to Paul wascompletely appropriate, "A trainer whose philosophy I don't agree with slaughtered me; I can't just sit back and moralize about it, I've got to beat him." I don't think that's a feeling that Kanto Ash is capable of, at least not with that much clarity.

That and the way the show was written at the time, what with more off the wall humor and pop culture references (Both in original Japanese and the 4kids edit) suited Kanto Ash. Pokemon mastery was also poorly defined, and as such has been ignored because Ash has ignored his vow to own them all simply because it is no longer possible.

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
Don't worry about it, these debates started way back over nine years ago. From Johto Ash vs Hoenn, Hoenn vs. Sinnoh, Kanto vs. Sinnoh and all other of the same bullcrap. This is to keep people thinking that Ash is actually maturing but will he ever?

Gallade Dark Soul

Type: Psychic/Dark
His personality may change here and there with the new seasons (kinda like Doctor Who), but at his core Ash isn't gonna make any drastic changes anytime soon. The only thing I've noticed is that there was a LOT more crying in the older episodes.

Shiny pokemon lower

In the start of the show Ash didn't know what pokemon training was about. Now he is able to see the joy and the fun around it. Therefore he could act more childich. However he is a lot stronger now than before. He have a better battle strategy, his pokemon wins more often, and he wins all of his gym battles the ordinary way. Therefore, I think he is more serious now!

Maxulus

Well, that was not a real personality change... The fact that he was childish at the first episodes and kept to forget important things about pokemon was probably to show to the little children in Japan ,which just started watching the show, the basic information about pokemon battles etc. Moreover, without TR blasting off again, without Brock (he is a joke himself xD) and without Wobbuffet, they had to add some moments of clumsiness in the show so that it would not be boring and they chose Ash for it... But they are only moments so I doubt it is a real personality change at all.

megagodx

Well, the anime has been out for 13 years outside of Japan, at least in the states. With a span of over a decade in production, I think it's sort of unreasonable to see them keep the same liner personality traits over such a long period of time. It would be ideal, but mindsets of the writers change and so do even writers sometimes over that course amount of time.

Breeder Drew

Honestly, I prefer the Advance Gen Ash. Instead of learning, it really seemed like he was the mentor to May, and was actually teaching and passing his skills on.

Naluc

I'm okay with the new Ash other than his " noob moments". I'm convinced the only reason he lost to trip in episode 1 was because the inability to use electric attacks threw him for a loop. ( I mean, he probably had a plan in mind, whoops, now that plan is ruined.) it's reasonable to believe a 10 year old would probably hit the panic button at that point. Plus, snivy used a Move that ash wasn't aware of what it could do. (though, he didn't even bother to tell pikachu to dodge the impending tornado of ownage. Maybe because it was too cool looking and distracted him?)

But I do agree with that he has matured a bit over the series. After being reminded of examples from the first season where he was constantly egotistical and self-centered, he's gotten a lot more laid back about things, but not to the point where he isn't trying.

Breeder Drew

Yeah, I don't like the newer Ash because of his Noob moments. I mean, he's been to five regions now. You think he'd know a bit more...

Satoshi's girl

Cafemocha <3
<3 i love ash's personality in everyone region 8D

randomspot555

Yeah, I don't like the newer Ash because of his Noob moments. I mean, he's been to five regions now. You think he'd know a bit more...

Have you actually bothered to watch Best Wishes/Black White? Ash's "noob moments" ended by episode 7, and even before then he had some pretty damn good moments of greatness. Deflecting Solarbeam with Oshawott's scalesword.

Gosh, a 10 year old being overtly excited is soooo unrealistic, right guys?

d4rk_tailed

Doritoes,Leaf Storm!
By Unova, the show is a lot more mellow. It's comfortable with what it is, and thus is Ash. I found his reaction after his third (?) loss to Paul wascompletely appropriate, "A trainer whose philosophy I don't agree with slaughtered me; I can't just sit back and moralize about it, I've got to beat him." I don't think that's a feeling that Kanto Ash is capable of, at least not with that much clarity.

That and the way the show was written at the time, what with more off the wall humor and pop culture references (Both in original Japanese and the 4kids edit) suited Kanto Ash. Pokemon mastery was also poorly defined, and as such has been ignored because Ash has ignored his vow to own them all simply because it is no longer possible.

Is it really appropriate when the point of a show is to see Ash become truly great? In the end, if as a character we are supposed to believe that he will someday be great, you have the two approaches, build up a head of steam and vow to crush his opposition, or take that more pragmatic approach you highlighted, and tbh, the former is probably better. I want to see a kid with burning desires to win, not patience.

it's reasonable to believe a 10 year old would probably hit the panic button at that point.

Gosh, a 10 year old being overtly excited is soooo unrealistic, right guys?

But how many times has Ash (A) not panicked when more competent trainers and opposition have dropped him in sh*t, and (B) how many times have the writers not portrayed him to act as a typical 10 year old? Or in fact, any of the other characters in the show, how often have they been portrayed not to act their age at all?

randomspot555

But how many times has Ash (A) not panicked when more competent trainers and opposition have dropped him in sh*t, and (B) how many times have the writers not portrayed him to act as a typical 10 year old? Or in fact, any of the other characters in the show, how often have they been portrayed not to act their age at all?

I was specifically referring to Ash's "noob moments" such as attempting to capture a Pokemon without battling it first. The major battles of a regional saga usually don't happen during that time frame.

As to why Ash doesn't panick when he gets beaten, it's because he's matured in that aspect. This was specifically emphasized post-Indigo League where he locked himself in his room and sulked for days after losing to Ritchie. Since then, he's learned to deal with losses. They still hurt him,but he doesn't react irrationally to them.

Which is different than him being excited about all these new Pokemon in a new region.

Status
Not open for further replies.