• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ash's Personality (Kanto vs. Unova)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Brain

It should also be noted that people mature largely according to their own personal experiences, example a ten year old who lives a life we would consider normal is going to mature in different rates and way then if that same individual lived an abnormal life. If we apply to this concept to Ash or ant other character in the show we can see this quite clearly, at the start of the series his life experience had paralleled a normal person in our world substituting Pokemon for any other interest a person his age would have in our world. But once he started in journey his life took a radically different route then what is normal for us as such he matured at a different rate. Is the rate abnormal for us yes but is it unbelievable, no. Even in this world I am sure there are those of us who have seen or are someone who matured faster than normal, and not necessarily because of having a traumatic life. ;025;

XSilverStarboyX

I started watching Pokemon again. Im starting with Orange Islands because thats pretty much where I left off. Stopped watching because I was tired of being picked on at school for watching it. ANYWHO! Thats not important right now, onto the topic at hand.

Ash did seem to take things more seriously in Kanto, and I have caught a few episodes of Diamond and Pearl and he does seem to be a little more childish then than he was in Kanto. Why is this? Who knows, maybe he learned that a loss is just a learning experience and nothing to beat yourself up over. Also, Ive seen some people asking why he is still 10. Isnt he 13 as of Diamond and Pearl?;152;

randomspot555

Ash did seem to take things more seriously in Kanto,

This is just flat out false. Ash was a slacker in Kanto and advanced as far as he got in the League mainly by luck. And when he finally lost, he locked himself in the room and moped about for days.

and I have caught a few episodes of Diamond and Pearl and he does seem to be a little more childish then than he was in Kanto. Why is this?

You clearly aren't watching the same Pokemon show I've been watching. Or you're mixing up D/P with Kanto.

Who knows, maybe he learned that a loss is just a learning experience and nothing to beat yourself up over. Also, Ive seen some people asking why he is still 10. Isnt he 13 as of Diamond and Pearl?;152;[/COLOR]

Ash's age was stated as 10 in the first episode of Best Wishes/Black and White.

Champion Jared 14

Anyone saying Ash is more childish in DP/AG than in Kanto/Johto is fooling themselves, and clearly isn't watching the same pokemon show as everyone else. In Kanto, Ash was very immature, and he definitely didn't take training with his pokemon very seriously. As others have said, Ash mainly progressed through the Indigo League on luck and DEM wins, but he didn't want to admit it. When he finally DID lose, he locked himself in his room, being very bitter about it.

In Johto, he progressed, but only very slightly...He trained a bit more, but still made elementary mistakes...Often times, he would train, but not too hard because Ash was resting a lot on his previous accomplishments in the Indigo and Orange League tournaments....Ash's main progression didn't really show up until AG came around.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
Ash was far more angry in his Kanto days. Now he seems to not have a care in the world.

BlueVapor

Anyone saying Ash is more childish in DP/AG than in Kanto/Johto is fooling themselves, and clearly isn't watching the same pokemon show as everyone else. In Kanto, Ash was very immature, and he definitely didn't take training with his pokemon very seriously. As others have said, Ash mainly progressed through the Indigo League on luck and DEM wins, but he didn't want to admit it. When he finally DID lose, he locked himself in his room, being very bitter about it.

In Johto, he progressed, but only very slightly...He trained a bit more, but still made elementary mistakes...Often times, he would train, but not too hard because Ash was resting a lot on his previous accomplishments in the Indigo and Orange League tournaments....Ash's main progression didn't really show up until AG came around.

This basically sums up my thoughts. Original Series Ash was far more immature than the Ash we saw in AG and DP. It's especially easy to notice when watching a little of Kanto, and then watching an episode of Sinnoh. It's a big change.

Legendary Dreams

Ash matured mainly in the sense of how to deal with losses and situations that don't involve Pokemon directly.

I could see Kanto Ash reacting quite violently to Trip's comments of him being from a rural area, at least more than Unova Ash is.

ChronoZero

I don't know for one I don't think Ash's personality changed , i didn't watch the Hoenn part of the anime but from Kanto to Unova I personnally think that he as gotten more confident about his skills.

For me the only thing i found weird (and that was pointed out already) is that he is still 10 years old and that pikachu (who should be lvl 100 by now) can't beat a trainer who just got his Snivy.

Ghastly Ninja

Ninetales&Lilligant
I'm enjoying the unova series as much as i enjoyed the kanto series when i was a kid.

randomspot555

For me the only thing i found weird (and that was pointed out already) is that he is still 10 years old and that pikachu (who should be lvl 100 by now) can't beat a trainer who just got his Snivy.

Are you new to television?

It's very common in animated series for characters to not age, and common in other forms of serial fiction as well (James Bond movies, most superhero comics, etc...).

Also, did you even bother watching BW001 and BW002? Zekrom drained Pikachu of his power and when he tried using electric attacks, he was visibly exhausted.

Also, levels basically don't exist in the anime.

zmx2513

Because no one ages in the show.

BW!Ash seems more mature to me (however, I've only seen up to the 4th episode soooo I can't say too much). In the beginning, he was excited, as any 10-year-old would be to go on a trip with his mom and Professor Oak to a new region with new pokemon. He's demonstrated how serious he is about this league by
taking on all three of the first gym leaders to experience as many new pokemon as he can. (I so wish we could have done that in the game. Maybe in the companion?)
The only thing I'm worried about is that all of the SPECIAL TRAININ' Ash did in Sinnoh has been wiped from his memory and we'll no longer see cool spin-dodges, Counter Shield or Ice Aqua Jet D:

Well this will depend on Dawn's role in Unova. Ash came up with those awesome moves with the help of Dawn anyway.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
Well this will depend on Dawn's role in Unova. Ash came up with those awesome moves with the help of Dawn anyway.

Plus isn't this a reboot? The past never happened. I feel BW is kinda Whats New Scooby Doo was to A Pup named Scooby Doo. Keep the characters (Ash and TR) but make the past adventures and captures something that never happened. I mean so far the past has not been touched on. No mention of Tracy or old Pokemon.

randomspot555

Plus isn't this a reboot? The past never happened. I feel BW is kinda Whats New Scooby Doo was to A Pup named Scooby Doo. Keep the characters (Ash and TR) but make the past adventures and captures something that never happened. I mean so far the past has not been touched on. No mention of Tracy or old Pokemon.

It isn't a reboot in that sense. Everything that still happened has happened.

Pokemon has never heavily relied on continuity, and don't just mention it just because. Ash or whoever will only bring up the past when it's relevant to a current situation.

Tracey hasn't been seen for several dozen (hundred?) episodes, so that's hardly new.

XanderCage

Loose Cannon Cop
I don't think that Ash is regressing in personality in Unova. I simply think that he's excited about everything. He's in a new, far away, land with brand new pokemon. Nothing is familiar. He won't even encounter any pokemon from other regions. It's a new place completely different from any other's he's been to. I think that in the first couple of episodes he was purely excited, like when he attempted to capture a pokemon without battling it. It was just pure excitement to see a new pokemon. To me he seems to be calming down as the series is progressing. We're still early on in the series, there's plenty of time for him to get back to his old self.

Mew~

You can compare Ash and Mistys relationship with Ash and Iris' relationship. Although Misty was very abusive whilst Iris just calls him a kid...

Tattychu

I quite like his personality in the new series; but I like it only if I consider it a 'new anime' rather than a continuation of the others.

throughout the others, I have seen Ash grow as a character, and although technically he still -is- growing as a character (despite what the first few episodes might make you think) the new anime irks me because physically,the character has been reset. Do they really expect me to believe all 5 regions were explored by him in less than a year, and that he is -still- 10 years old? Even in the Sinnoh episodes,you could see that physically Ash was slightly older, but now its almost like time was reversed, but events still happened..?
But ignoring that, I think Ash has come a long way, and that where he is now in terms of personality has been a matter of progression (and of course, switching of writers often speeds up this kind of process) rather than just 'lets reinvent the character'.

Tyranitar Terror

Tyranitar Trainer
Kids acted different in the 90s

exactly, times have changed.
And so have the new youths, some may think for good some may think for bad but they have.

Swagga09

Ash's battling has improved alot since Kanto and he's wayy more mature.

However, back in Kanto he DID have alot more confidence in himself and way more determination. That's just my opinion.

Pseudo-Unlegendary

I be an Exotic One
Well, Ash is a lot more goody goody in Unova than Kanto. He isn't as much fun as he used to be, which disappoints me.

Status
Not open for further replies.