• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ash's Personality (Kanto vs. Unova)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celebix

I think the show, as a whole, has been shifted severely to entertain the younger audiences. If you watch the Kanto episodes the diction was, to some degree, very sarcastic and witty as well as inspirational. In the newer episodes the diction has been "dumbed down" to appeal to the newer generation of children. Also, I think another thing that makes the obvious personality separation between Kanto and Unova Ash is his voice. It is if when they changed his voice, they also changed his personality. I found the Kanto Ash to be much more appealing than the Ash we watch today. That's just my opinion though.

d4rk_tailed

Doritoes,Leaf Storm!
I thought of this too, but you know what? I wouldn't work. Digimon did that, and I know that the show lasted quite a while, but I think part of the reason that Pokemon is still here is because Ash is.

But if they did like Digimon 02, and had a whole new bunch, but allowed the old characters in the show then it could work. I mean, Wargreymon coming back to fight Blackwargreymon alongside older Tai was the highlight of the series for me.

Supposing you had Lucas as the central protagonist in Sinnoh, and he came up against Ash in the Sinnoh League, and Ash, unfettered by marketing and writing limits, would have the dream team that the fanbase so want him to have. Tyranitar, Charizard, Sceptile, Garchomp........

Karzon

The Noobish Breeder
I haven't had a chance to watch the US episodes because I refuse to wake up before noon on my only day off, but have watched a few(like 4-ish) episodes in Japanese.

I don't see the huge reboot of death everyone is talking about, other than what happened to him at the start of every generation. He has a few noob moments, but so does everyone. It's a natural part of life to make mistakes and learn from them. And on the first Pikachu VS Snivy fight, Pikachu was pretty much *****slapped by a god within 24 hours of fighting Snivy.

Swagga09

But if they did like Digimon 02, and had a whole new bunch, but allowed the old characters in the show then it could work. I mean, Wargreymon coming back to fight Blackwargreymon alongside older Tai was the highlight of the series for me.

Supposing you had Lucas as the central protagonist in Sinnoh, and he came up against Ash in the Sinnoh League, and Ash, unfettered by marketing and writing limits, would have the dream team that the fanbase so want him to have. Tyranitar, Charizard, Sceptile, Garchomp........

Maybe that could have worked after the indigo league, but since Ash was the main character for over 10 years you can't just "replace him". It would get so much negative response.

That;s why i loved pokemon chronicles. It was the best of both worlds. They should countinue it.

Blazing CobaltX

私はポケモンマスターよ!
I miss the oldskool Ash, when he was ambitious, and not a loser who never wins the leauge.

PokemasterAustin

Friendly Trainer
Good point. Ash and the ENTIRE anime has gotten alot more childish over the years. Team rocket has gotten alot "darker" with the starting of unova though. That is a good thing because the bad guys are supposed to be bad and not goofy. But Ash is still Ash and I'm glad he's still the protagonist. I love seeing his old pokemon coming back for cameos. Hope he sees squirtle again soon! ^_^

Firebrand

Indomitable
an even bigger question, why is he still 10? he he is entering his 5th league, he has competed in the battle frontier and orange leauge also. there have been over 600 episodes and in most episodes it goes from early morning to night time or even spreads over 2 days so why hasnt he turned at least 11 yet?
I always thought he aged a year each passing gen, making him about 15 when Sinnoh ended. He seemed to be more mature, handling problems in a more grown-up way. I expected to see real strategy in B/W, and a wiser, more mature ash to deal with the dark, gritty, EVIL team rocket. Instead, I got a childish ten year old who hasn't really interacted with TR since Striaton City.
I think the show, as a whole, has been shifted severely to entertain the younger audiences. If you watch the Kanto episodes the diction was, to some degree, very sarcastic and witty as well as inspirational. In the newer episodes the diction has been "dumbed down" to appeal to the newer generation of children.
The Kanto ash was the kid every kid wanted to be, able to stand up to adversity. Now, he's just a flat character having a new adventure every week. *sigh* If my own experience is anything to go by, kids aren't using their imaginations as much anymore. Back in the late 90s, my friends and I would exist in our own little world for hours, without any stimuli other than our own imaginations. Now kids only have what they see on TV...
Good point. Ash and the ENTIRE anime has gotten alot more childish over the years. Team rocket has gotten alot "darker" with the starting of unova though. That is a good thing because the bad guys are supposed to be bad and not goofy. But Ash is still Ash and I'm glad he's still the protagonist. I love seeing his old pokemon coming back for cameos. Hope he sees squirtle again soon! ^_^
I don't think we'll see ash's pokemon again for a looooooong time. I remember before Unova, I remarked to my friend that TR should be more evil, and not in every episode with the same dumb plot. Now it happened, and I sort of miss the comic relief they provided. Just once every few episodes, I'd like to hear "Blasting off again!" or hell, even the motto.

And those things pissed me off so much just a year ago...

mystreon

the elder eevee
what i hate most about new series is that ash always seem's to forget he has other pokemon. i admit i kinda cried when i saw bayleaf in one the episodes close to the end of the series before best wishes. i just hate the fact he's dumbed down so much he seemed to forgotten everything hes learnt and his old pokemon. i now i shouldn't take a show so seriously but didn't he make a promise to his pigeot to come back for it or one of his pokemon i just find it so bull that they do that and keep him so young.

TTNH03

Pokemon Researcher
The Original Ash was the best because it showed that he was smart but yet arrogant and ignorant. He is competitive with his Rival, that's what makes the Kanto Saga one of the best ones.

The Unova Ash just shows him as an idiot. Doesn't show him being competitive against Trip and considers more of him as a friend.

What happened to friendly rivalry?

Arceus94

In the Kanto And Jotho saga,m Ash seems to be all "Yay, I'm the best" But in Black and White, he's more like a noob. He seems to like to loose to a starter pokemon in its first battle with his Pikachu, who can beat legendarys.. I don't get Ash with his stupid nature. "Oooh, i love pokemon, team spirit blabla" etc. It makes me sick. I know it's good to care about pokemon in the anime but.. His stupidity has no boundaries. And his pokemons are stupid. He always catch the standard pokemons like, Taillow, Pdgeotto, Caterpie, etc. Why couldn't he evolve Gible? or any of his pokemons for that sake? No one can win the pokemon leage with a CORPISH o,o (Did i spell that right?)

Arceus94

Team rocket was the main reason i watched pokemon when i was little xP
I'm not watching Black and White because they're so boring. I miss them being blown away at the end of every episode. I hate Ash.. And i bet Squirtle is dead.. or worse.. Evolved D: It would be so much better if Ash could get some REAL pokemon, like evolving Gible, a Froslass, Rotom, Kingdra etc. It's so boring with his non-evolved boring standard pokemon. It's weird he didn't catch a Zigzagoon in the Hoenn series :S

feathergreen

I personally think both ashes are annoying. but kanto is a little bit better. but i dont watch anime a lot.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
I like Unova better, he spends time catching more pokemon

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
I think the thing that everyone mostly has a problem with is that yes, Ash was more determined in the beginning. Young people are often obsessed with being the best at something when they have no idea what being the best entails, which isn't exactly mature. Since then, Ash has drifted more towards realizing that being "the best" doesn't matter so much as growing strong alongside your Pokemon, which I think is the main message of the show since DP or so.

Though the fact that they make him lose to trainers far less experienced than him is kind of dumb. But think about it: most of the trainers he encounters at the start of a region wouldn't be veterans, and it would be kind of boring if he just thrashed everyone by having more experience.

~Chibi~;249;;448;

randomspot555

In the Kanto And Jotho saga,m Ash seems to be all "Yay, I'm the best" But in Black and White, he's more like a noob. He seems to like to loose to a starter pokemon in its first battle with his Pikachu, who can beat legendarys.. I don't get Ash with his stupid nature. "Oooh, i love pokemon, team spirit blabla" etc. It makes me sick. I know it's good to care about pokemon in the anime but.. His stupidity has no boundaries. And his pokemons are stupid. He always catch the standard pokemons like, Taillow, Pdgeotto, Caterpie, etc. Why couldn't he evolve Gible? or any of his pokemons for that sake? No one can win the pokemon leage with a CORPISH o,o (Did i spell that right?)

If you've never liked the show, then why watch it?

Though the fact that they make him lose to trainers far less experienced than him is kind of dumb. But think about it: most of the trainers he encounters at the start of a region wouldn't be veterans, and it would be kind of boring if he just thrashed everyone by having more experience.

~Chibi~;249;;448;

Exactly. Remember that battle in Hoenn where Pikachu got charged up before the gym and he just swept the entire gym? That was fricking boring.

Status
Not open for further replies.