• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ash's Personality (Kanto vs. Unova)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antithesis

Ash started out with a fresh, interesting, memorable personality. That gradually went away in Johto, though, then he got a bit of a facelift in Advanced as a more mature mentor figure. That one faded away too, especially in Diamond and Pearl where we only really saw personality from him when he was dealing with Paul. Yet again they've refreshed his character this season, but it seems like they've forgotten what made Ash in the first season so likable. Now he's just, as Iris would call him, a kid.

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
I didn't like the Kanto Ash. I like this one still better. One, because the co stars have something they could be doing also then bugging Ash all the time. Second is that the Pokemon are more cuter. However, I think that the writers just likes messing with Ash by setting him so far back in which he knows nothing. But maybe alittle when he was in Hoenn and it seemed like he grew from something.

Antithesis

Second is that the Pokemon are more cuter.

How does that have anything at all to do with Ash's personality?

Kadmos

I know for a fact that Ash should be around 15 or nearing 16 for that matter. In the first 10 or so episodes it was said that about 3 months have passed, and later on i think between episodes 70 and 80, where Ash returned to Pallet to prepare for the Indigo league THE CHARACTERS THEMSELVES say it's been a year already before Ash had left Pallet. And it took another 3 months for him to prepare for the INdigo League. WTF people, that was around just the end of the first season of the first series of episodes. There are 5 series, and the first series had four seasons (from Indigo League to Johto: Master Quest). I just don't get it. Which brings on another theory... The Ash is in a coma theory... I'm pretty sure the lot of you have heard about this one.

xFurret<3x

Ninetales~
Ash has definitely matured from kanto to unova
In kanto he was immature and annoying alot. He still is, but its better...i don't know how to explain.
Its so annoying how its like he doesn't advance as a trainer though.

Antithesis

I know for a fact that Ash should be around 15 or nearing 16 for that matter. In the first 10 or so episodes it was said that about 3 months have passed, and later on i think between episodes 70 and 80, where Ash returned to Pallet to prepare for the Indigo league THE CHARACTERS THEMSELVES say it's been a year already before Ash had left Pallet. And it took another 3 months for him to prepare for the INdigo League. WTF people, that was around just the end of the first season of the first series of episodes. There are 5 series, and the first series had four seasons (from Indigo League to Johto: Master Quest). I just don't get it. Which brings on another theory... The Ash is in a coma theory... I'm pretty sure the lot of you have heard about this one.

He's ten. Time passes but he stays the same age along with the rest of the characters.

Last edited:
Ash was kind of an idiot in Kanto. (Although that's understandable since he was a new trainer back then.) But I still think he's doing a lot better now.

Last edited:

mycooly

Banned
I personally liked kanto because he was funny and such
but his personality is much better in unova

pkemonzuds

an even bigger question, why is he still 10? he he is entering his 5th league, he has competed in the battle frontier and orange leauge also. there have been over 600 episodes and in most episodes it goes from early morning to night time or even spreads over 2 days so why hasnt he turned at least 11 yet?

Watch the 3rd pokemon movie. The little pikachu movie thing they have at the begging where he plays with the pika's and other pokemon. At the begging or end Ash tells pikachu that its been 3 years since they met. So by the movie he is 13 but are the little pikachu movie's are canon.

TabiPianist

'Dis ma game face!!
Um, okay first of all if we were to look back all the way, we would see ash lacked in common sense. He got smarter on his way through. When may came along he was so much smarter, and in sinnoh, he was so much more mature. In a way yes he has lost a bit of ambition obviously. But i think hes just mature enough not to make a spectacle of himself.

StarlightUmbreon

Welcome to the anime! lol.

That's how it is though, the games and the anime signify some sort of a reboot. Unfortunately all the development we saw through Hoenn and Sinnoh seems to have gone down the drain.

It is still the same Ash though. Him and Pikachu will be there forever, basically.

This.
I hope he starts taking battling seriously like he did in Kanto soon..

KingBravest

I feel unova ash is refreshing but not new their just showing sides of him we thought were gone mixed with new more confident ash who always has his eye on the prize and confidence means you dont have to cry after every loss and maturity means he doesnt have to be vocal about past stated goals all the time. i do understand everyone but unova is still new, sinnoh ash was too mature and boring kinda compared to now and his new pokes arent strong enough or trained enough to reach the level of battling performed near sinnohs end

coma theory rofl lol yeah ashs original fans have grown and its time for him too it would be easier to relate

Last edited:

Rohanator

Personally I like BW Ash, he seems more enthusiastic than in DP but is still pretty mature and serious. And badass. And that voice, oh god I love Japanese Ash. Also, one reason why I wish they never replace Ash is because we'd lose all of his pokemon, I still want to see his old pokes in action in the future.

Foxyvulpixie

thug life
at the beginning of the series he was so arrogant and childish, but now hes kind of mature, but he looks younger o_o
trainerwise i don't really see improvement...

Status
Not open for further replies.