• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ash's Personality (Kanto vs. Unova)

Status
Not open for further replies.

acetrainerbob

has written:
i think his personality sucks in the dub. he always acts like a child and Iris makes it even worse by saying, "You act like a little kid!" It furiates me even more. At least in the sub he says stuff like shut up.

anywho, I think that the Kanto Ash is better than the Unova Ash. He was a bit annoying, but it's understandable since he's a new trainer. In Unova, he's beaten 1 league and participated in all of the others, but then he acts like 'a little kid' and forgets everything he knew.

the only reason I watch the anime anymore is because its Pokemon and I'd like to see how they'll use the BW storyline in the anime. DP had very intense action sequences even in the dub and the way they presented the storyline would keep you on the edge of your seat.

aerogrind

I call ******** on Ash's age being 10. As I recall, there where several episodes where Ash had birthdays from kanto to johto and everything in between, he should be 13/14 by the end of johto and by now he should be 18/20 yrs old

KingBravest

He had birthdays ............? umm, which episodes are you talking about and why are you the only one to remember them? The creator said ash will never age im guessing atleast not til the end im guessing if they do a flash back sort of thing. Wish he were older now though.

I call ******** on Ash's age being 10. As I recall, there where several episodes where Ash had birthdays from kanto to johto and everything in between, he should be 13/14 by the end of johto and by now he should be 18/20 yrs old

Yeah, because EVERYONE would want to see an 18-year-old Ash. (sarcastic)

Vulpixi_Misa

Starving Artist
Yeah, because EVERYONE would want to see an 18-year-old Ash. (sarcastic)

That would be kind of hot actually.

Anyway, personal bias, I like mature Ash better, starting from AG. My favorite thing in Best Wishes was watching him train that Cottonee to battle and dodge. He's experienced and it shows even though he may not always act like it.

And yes, it really does depend on who the characters around him are. Like when he goes back to Kanto between Hoenn and Battle Frontier, Misty was around and he kind of shows the Ash that was around in Kanto/Johto. It's just that May and Dawn never really challenged him like Misty and Iris kind of do.

prince of the city21

Cool N Collected ;)
lol in kanto Ash had a personality, he was arrogant in his abilities and occasionally clueless and sometimes unthoughtful and rude. But that made the show fun, seeing him like that. And Pikachu wasn't afraid to shock him and bring him to reality; it had its own spunk.

now, Ash is basically elementary-school Dora, helping everyone and always talking sweet talk. Pikachu sits dementedly on his shoulder just once every fifty episodes saying, "pika".

I dont even watch the show anymore unova is crap.

MegSuicune251

Pokemon's #1 Fan
Id say I noticed some change in Hoenn, but not a lot.

But ever since Sinnoh, hes been acting like a brainwashed utopian! Nobody in their right mind acts like that in real life!!!!

Yeul

Green Eyed Girl
Obviously Kanto Ash is better than Unova Ash, because his idiocy is even more apparent as he's just a trainer starting out, and we can relate better with that. Unova Ash is cuter though, due to him being at the brunt of every joke and his wide hazel eyes.

CupidKirby

Honestly? I think people glorify Kanto Ash too much.
As nostalgic as he is, Kanto Ash really was immature, whiny, and at times really had a big ego. Meanwhile, in BW, he's been more laid-back and actually enjoying his adventures rather than trying to one-up everyone he sees.

And it sucks how we let moments like Pikachu's loss to Snivy and forgetting how to catch a pokemon for all of 2 seconds get in the way of other much smarter moments Ash has had in Unova. In terms of personality, I'd actually prefer Unova Ash a lot more to Kanto Ash, but I will agree that he was a bit more fun to watch back in Kanto.

Fun, not necessarily entertaining.

Last edited:

Cyclone

^ where it all began
Not just Ash but EVERY SINGLE character on Pokemon used to be funny/interesting in some way and now are all the same BLAND happy-go-lucky peppy personality. Totally uninteresting. So glad I grew up in the 90s when kids shows were GOOD.

randomspot555

Not just Ash but EVERY SINGLE character on Pokemon used to be funny/interesting in some way and now are all the same BLAND happy-go-lucky peppy personality. Totally uninteresting. So glad I grew up in the 90s when kids shows were GOOD.

Have you actually bothered to watch the show at all in the past 4-5 years? Paul, (to a lesser extent) Trip, Iris' and Cilan's rivals, and at least two of Dawn's rivals at least displayed signs of animosity. Cyrus and Hunter J were probably the closest things we'll see to legitmate villains in the series.

Also, please tell me how Pokemon (which aired for an entire year in the 90s, 1999) wasn't all "happy go lucky" especially when it came to most COTDs?

Last edited:

pokemon fan 132

Ash as character has been good both before and nowdays with only difference being that he went through character development over the years becoming little more mature and better as trainer.
Which was definitely welcomed adding new dimensions to his character like when he was able to take on mentors role to May character for example because of being more experienced and "grown up "at that point.

I liked him both before when he was immature rookie,being extremely stubborn and strong headed and enjoyed following his development he made through all this years becoming more mature and more creative when it comes to battling strategies using his head more often.He is still having his quirks being funny and dense at times but also having that feeling of responsibility too.

This can be noticed in his approach toward training in Unova as well along with not reacting impulsively nearly as much like he used to in his early days to Iris provocations which is sign of his development.

Last time i checked most of main characters or rivals in this show didnt fit criteria of "happy go lucky".
Anyway i disagree completely,all characters whether its Ash,May,Misty,Paul etc are interesting having their quirks and things which defined them but at same time they became more self confident and independent which is called character development.

Which is good thing because it enrich character personalities giving them more depth making them in end more realistic and enjoyable.
I don't know about others but i prefer more characters who show more of their sides being multidimensional compared to having only one trait ending up flat.

Last edited:

Masterge77

Floatzel rules!
The current Ash is basically a heavily flanderized version of the Ash we remembered from Kanto, and it has gone to the point where the writers simply ignore developing his character while Iris and Cilan receive all the character development.

kyle371

Water Type Trainer
almost completely similar...however, he has matured a little bit after sinnoh, so it's not very hard to describe.

TTNH03

Pokemon Researcher
Its ironic after all this time between Kanto to Unova that Ash hasn't matured yet.
His Pokemon strategies are starting to get better though.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Its ironic after all this time between Kanto to Unova that Ash hasn't matured yet.

Uh, Ash DID mature and get stronger pokemon.

It happened in Hoenn and Sinnoh. Unova regressed him for whatever reason.

yeminied

AARGHH!! Don't say irony if you don't know what it ...

huh, someone on the internet used irony correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.