1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Ash's Pokemon. Best origin story?

Discussion in 'Pokémon Animé Discussion' started by Aduro, Jul 5, 2020.

1. Aduro

Aduro Mt.BtlMaster

Which of Ash's pokemon do you think had the best origin story? Their background before Ash caught them.

I loved Squirtle's, personally. It was great seeing it as the leader of this gang of ruffians with a heart of gold. It was the perfect pokemon to team up with Ash.

BabaVanga and Ubermuk like this.
  2. SerGoldenhandtheJust

SerGoldenhandtheJust Well-Known Member

A tie between Ash's chimchar and litten for me.

3. ash&charizardfan

ash&charizardfan Humans are tools

I liked the kanto starters origin's story. They had unique personality despite being abandoned by trainers.

4. Ubermuk

Ubermuk Sticky & Sweet

Litten had the best story line going with Stoutland being his best friend and then dying. I always thought that that part was sad and probably the most 'real' moment of the series. :(

5. Leonhart

Leonhart Imagineer

I liked Hitokage's backstory despite it being extremely played out by this point. The whole abandoned Fire-type trope that the writers loved to recycle even to this day is old, but Hitokage's origin story is still very sad.

NeedsAName, BabaVanga and KenzeyEevee like this.
  6. Spider-Phoenix

Spider-Phoenix #ChespinGang

Same. Their backstories were quite well-build.

Though I also like Pikachu's from episode 1 of Journeys.

Ubermuk and SerGoldenhandtheJust like this.
  7. RetroPokeFan

RetroPokeFan Well-Known Member

Litten. Was saddening when Stoutland passed away but also uplifting seeing it join Ash's team.

8. k6666

k6666 Pikachu Fan

litten, how they build the story and how stoutland dying in the end its great , chimchar come second

9. Red and Blue

Red and Blue Well-Known Member

Probably Chimchar and Litten. I'd lean more towards Chimchar since that was a major plotline throughout DP

Gale_ and Ignition like this.
  10. Power Up

Power Up ...

Froakie and Pikachu

SerenaRulez likes this.
  11. Ubermuk

Ubermuk Sticky & Sweet

I liked his past but I wish it hadn't been told in flashback form like a 100 episodes after he was caught.

Aduro and Applecorp like this.
  12. Spider-Phoenix

Spider-Phoenix #ChespinGang

But how would Froakie's story be told otherwise?

Sure, Ash could have found one of the trainers who've returned Froakie but I feel like that would make the narrative go to places the writting wasn't interested on going.

Olympia explaining actually worked fine IMHO

Ubermuk, RafaSceptile and SerenaRulez like this.
  13. Leonhart

Leonhart Imagineer

I didn't necessarily mind Keromatsu's backstory, but I didn't think it was spectacular in any way, either. I thought that the writers waited a long time to explain his backstory, but in the end I thought Hitokage, Hikozaru, and Nyabby had better backstories.

14. SerenaRulez

SerenaRulez Well-Known Member

Chimchar had the best origin story first from going from an abused wild Pokemon to being caught by Paul and treated badly to joining Ash's team and becoming strong.

Gale_ and Applecorp like this.
  15. TheCrazyMaster

TheCrazyMaster Well-Known Member

Infernape without a doubt. Starting of as the Chimchar that was disowned by the very trainer who couldn't draw out its full potential no matter what he tried and being at the very epicenter of Ash's and Pauls rivalry, and ending it with the very same power Paul failed to draw out because Ash treated it with something Paul thought was only a distraction...... love.

Gale_, Ignition and Leonhart like this.
  16. Applecorp

Applecorp Well-Known Member

Charmander because he went through a really big character development storyline and came out being one of Ash's best Pokemon even though his old trainer was a jerk.

Leonhart likes this.
  17. CMButch

CMButch Kanto is love. Kanto is life.

Ash's Primeape.

BabaVanga and Ubermuk like this.
  18. Applecorp

Applecorp Well-Known Member

Are you joking? Primeape didn't even get a backstory he just showed up and stole Ash's hat and then got mad and evolved and chased Ash to Celadon or something.

Ubermuk likes this.
  19. Ubermuk

Ubermuk Sticky & Sweet

Ok maybe I was nitpicking a little bit I'm just sour that the writing staff waited until right before XYZ started to explain Froakie's past. Seemed like they were just doing it to foreshadow Ash-Greninja's importance.

20. RafaSceptile

RafaSceptile Well-Known Member

In terms of backstory, Infernape and Incineroar because those were the most showcased before the capture