• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ash's Pokemon. Best origin story?

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
His backstory was just a grandpa Stoutland took him in.

Then he died.

Alongside whatever endearing trait he had with him until it was reduced to an overused rival plot with another cat.
Then what kind of story would you like to have from a starter that it wasn't done in the anime before? Things might be cliche at this point but it's hardly a Pokemon anime only problem.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Then what kind of story would you like to have from a starter that it wasn't done in the anime before? Things might be cliche at this point but it's hardly a Pokemon anime only problem.
See, that's the thing. For something that is this long, good ideas become increasingly scarce, even more so when they're not elaborated upon.

Though, if it was up to me, I'd have written Litten as a territorial stray cat making a mess of things for several episodes until Granstoutland met him, it literally trounces Litten but only through self-defense, Litten starts to harass the dog but fails at every turn until the dog is able to show kindness, then slowly Litten gains appreciation and sticks by him until we resume from when they both actually debut in the series until Granstoutland croaks and Litten joins Ash. Though things wouldn't end there. Litten would still act like a rowdy cat with Ash because he can't just accept Granstoutland's passing and he feels his new home is just a poor excuse for a "replacement," and things only complicate as he sees other Stoutland hanging out with other smaller Pokemon, culminating with Litten coming to terms with his feelings for Grandstoutland, the fact he's a jerk, and that he should be thankful he got put in the right track with Ash.

Boom. A story to beat Chimchar's backstory, Ash gets an endearing cat, and I go home with an Emmy and, hopefully, get recruited to voice a DuckTales character.

Ash-Pikachu

Infernape is my favorite followed by his Swellow and Gliscor. Chimchar was disowned by Paul, but eventually learns what it means to be trusted by a trainer who actually believes in him and eventually proves that Ash's philosophy was correct and proves that he wasn't the weakling Paul made him out to be. I liked Swellow and Gliscor's backstories for the simplicity of them as well as their unique quirks that were demonstrated which makes the pokemon stick out above the rest. Swellow displayed a huge resistance to electric type moves which was very interesting considering Swellow's type disadvantage which demonstrates Swellow's insane tenacity and Gliscor sticking out his tongue and being immediately attached to Ash illustrated his evolution of being a baby pokemon (Cligar) to eventually being able to hold his own in battle and beat Paul's Drapion (Gliscor) which I thought was very charming.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
For greninja, not only did this form which looks like ash existed thousands of years ago for a random dude too, its origin for me seems half assed.

Not only was the origin random and totally unrelated to everything that happened after that, but if you had told me after XY&Z07 that ZERO NINJAS would ever appear in again in the history of the show, I would say 0% chance that's true. They clearly set up some relationship between the ninjas and Ash-Greninja during that 2-parter, even going as far as to have a cliffhanger ending with them talking about how Ash-Greninja has returned as the hero from 1000 years ago or whatever............. only to never mention that again and the ninjas never appear again? How on earth does that random guy from 1000 years ago connect to TF, the vines, Squishy, and Lysandre? It's never explained. Trash origin story.

RafaSceptile

Not only was the origin random and totally unrelated to everything that happened after that, but if you had told me after XY&Z07 that ZERO NINJAS would ever appear in again in the history of the show, I would say 0% chance that's true. They clearly set up some relationship between the ninjas and Ash-Greninja during that 2-parter, even going as far as to have a cliffhanger ending with them talking about how Ash-Greninja has returned as the hero from 1000 years ago or whatever............. only to never mention that again and the ninjas never appear again? How on earth does that random guy from 1000 years ago connect to TF, the vines, Squishy, and Lysandre? It's never explained. Trash origin story.

It is funny because ...

And it was barely utilized after the episode(think the whole Stoutland thing was mentioned one time after the episode when Litten evolved into Torracat). This is why I said it was uninteresting and boring because I didn't feel like it meant much.

and when the ninjas plot was never utilized again and Greninja wasn't the chosen Hero until the penultimate episode of XY, and even then it wasn't related to the ninjas plot

It is funny because ...

and when the ninjas plot was never utilized again and Greninja wasn't the chosen Hero until the penultimate episode of XY, and even then it wasn't related to the ninjas plot

...I consider Froakie's origin story to be his actual origin story, that being where he abandoned many of his previous trainers for not being up to par and choosing Ash. I don't understand how you think is some sort of dunk lmao. The Ninja Arc was background development used to ground the Bond Phenomenon in a more tangible way. One can definitely claim it should have been used more and tied in much more after the original arc ended, but the way you're using it is stretching it.

In actuality, the Bond Phenomenon tied incredibly well to Froakie's origin story and its relationship with Ash. For me, The Ninja Arc was another layer of complexity and depth. The underlying point that I mentioned beforehand was perfectly tied in with Froakie's origin story, hence why I said it's my favorite origin story for how much depth it had and how well-executed it was in terms of utilization .

Last edited:

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Basically froakies backstory is him ditching many trainers until bonding with ash while litten's story is him bonding with ash after losing his mentor.
Lol, froakies backstory is similar to snivy in a way. It's nice but in no way as interesting as litten's or chimchar

RafaSceptile

...I consider Froakie's origin story to be his atual origin story, that being where he abandoned many of his previous trainers for not being up to par and choosing Ash. I don't understand how you think is some sort of dunk lmao. The Ninja Arc was background development used to ground the Bond Phenomenon in a more tangible way. One can definitely claim it should have been used more and tied in much more after the original arc ended, but the way you're using it is stretching it.

Froakie's Backstory is in a way opposite to Charmander/Tepig/Gengar's Backstory: The Pokémon abandoned its Trainers because they weren't as strong as Froakie expected, so in the end it choose Ash, but all of Ash's befriended Pokémon choose Ash by different reasons (including Litten).