• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ash's Rarest Capture

which of the following pokemon do you think is Ash's rarest.

• Total voters

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
A few days ago I saw an article that talked about Ash's captures over the course of the show, more specifically his "rarest" catches, the following 3 pokemon were mentioned in said article, Noctowl due to being shiny, Melmetal and Nagandel, with Noctowl gaining favoritism due to being shiny which is considered rarer than legendary pokemon according to whoever wrote the article.

So I'm curious and ask, among these 3 who do you think is Ash's "rarest" capture.

vondecayle

I would say Naganadel because it is a pokemon from ultra space.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
I’d say Melmetal. Shinies don’t seem to be too rare in the anime and we can at least pinpoint where Naganadel comes from. Meltan/Melmetal don’t have a region they’re confirmed to be native in (Pokémon Home has them as the only Pokémon under “region unknown” tab) and the info we do have on it is limited unlike the other 2 who have people dedicated to studying them exclusively. You could somewhat reasonably have someone find another Shiny or a Naganadel but where would you even begin to look for Meltan?

Red and Blue

Meltan/Melmetal. If you look hard enough you could find another shiny Noctowl. And if you had the means to access Ultra Space you'll find a bunch of Poipole with the potential to become Naganadel.

ShadowForce720

I’d say Melmetal and to add to what Red and Blue and Ignition were saying what makes Melmetal even rarer is it’s evolution method.

I mean at least Poipole you could theoretically figure it out it’s evolution method as it needs to learn Dragon Pulse which isn’t that difficult however in Melmetal’s case in the anime you need to have about 100 Meltan and at least one of those Meltan or maybe the lead one needs to be yours.

So it’s like not only is it unknown where you can find Meltan but even if you catch one you need to catch about 99 or 100 more Meltan so they can all merge together to evolve into Melmetal.

Last edited:

Xuxuba

Tbh there is a shitload of Meltan out there and it really wasn't that hard for Ash to catch/evolve one.

Poipole is not exactly rare where it lives, but it is a species that belongs to another world so i guess he'd be the rarest if they aren't having another ultra wormhole crisis, 'cause even if you know where it comes from, you still need a way to get there.

As for shinies, i guess it depends on its species. Noctowl is a rather common one so i wouldn't say it is that rare.

Last edited:

DatsRight

Really it depends how the show evolves each species.

Remember how many Pokemon fall victim to uniqueness decay as the show goes along, Togepi started off seemingly one of a kind and yet Dawn's Togekiss got very little fanfare at all and was treated as a normal Pokemon. Dragonite and Shaymin got similar treatment.

Also Meltan's rareness was down to being in an abadoned cargo for hundreds of years. The species reproduces rapidly so could easily now overpopulate now it's in public.

k6666

Pikachu Fan
Meltan, no one in canon has one except Ash. That's why I'm so sad Ash didn't debut its Gigantamax form

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
As per canon there arent really any other meltan that we have seen that arent the Melmetal fused ones, so Ash literally has the only one of its species
As the Ultra space tech develops I can see poipoles being more common tbh, plus we've seen abundant of those, Melmetal is really the only one of its kind

Flashyspark

Why are people saying Meltan when we saw dozens of them in Alola which proves they weren't that rare and there's bound to be even more out there? Poipole is the rarest capture because accessing Ultra Space isn't easy. If Ash didn't have protagonist plot armor he never would've met one much less catch one.

SerenaRulez

Melmetal because there is no other Melmetal in existence, all those Meltans were part of one Melmetal.
Is it confirmed that another Melmetal cannot exist? Because people said the same thing about Mew at first but we have seen several different ones over the years.

I say Poipole/Naganadel because they were only supposed to exist in the wild in Ultra Space.

Pokemonfan5

Is it confirmed that another Melmetal cannot exist? Because people said the same thing about Mew at first but we have seen several different ones over the years.

I say Poipole/Naganadel because they were only supposed to exist in the wild in Ultra Space.
Right now there is no proof of another Melmetal existence, if someone get technology to travel in Ultra space they can get Poipole/Naganadel but not possible to catch Melmetal until it's confirmed another one exist.

I think we saw only two mew in anime, movie one and JN mew most likely same while movie 8 mew is different.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
He got an unnaturally tiny ***** Shiny Noctowl. How rarer can you get from there.
Yeah and it’s so forgettable that Professor Oak seems to have forgotten it exists as there is an episode where he name Ash’s regional birds and didn’t name poor Noctowl.