• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ash's/Satoshi's Character Needs a Major Overhaul and More Consistency

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
He's not going to just abandon his dream. A big part of his character has always been his drive to accomplish his goal no matter how many setbacks he faces, so him calling it a day would be the opposite of what his character is primarily about. I think he has a lot of room for improvement anyway, so I don't think he's really peaked.
To be fair he could be replaced but keep his dream going. The thing is we never really have been told what it means to be a master. Unlike other goals it has never really had steps which is the biggest issue compared to performers,contest people and type only people. Like if it means winning a league and he wins Alola he will have reached his dream but it could mean more. Which for ash is the biggest issue he seems to be chasing something nobody knows

BTS_fan

Immortal Queen
Still the anime really needs a new hero.

Not really. Anyone who replaces Ash is going to have the same personality and goal most likely since the target audience isn't suddenly going to change. What y'all will get if Ash leaves the show is just an Ash clone that you'll all complain about a year later and want gone from the show too.

Dream Lad

Banned
Not really. Anyone who replaces Ash is going to have the same personality and goal most likely since the target audience isn't suddenly going to change. What y'all will get if Ash leaves the show is just an Ash clone that you'll all complain about a year later and want gone from the show too.

What even is an Ash clone post-DP? BW Ash =/= XY Ash =/= SM Ash. There's no continuity/growth to his personality.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I always thought that if Satoshi were to be replaced, he'd be replaced by someone who's pretty much like him. Not his hypothetical child or anything like that, but by a watered-down version of himself. Think Hiroshi, but even more uninteresting. That's why I'd rather just see Satoshi stay as the main character, flaws and all.

Jeal

I always thought that if Satoshi were to be replaced, he'd be replaced by someone who's pretty much like him. Not his hypothetical child or anything like that, but by a watered-down version of himself. Think Hiroshi, but even more uninteresting. That's why I'd rather just see Satoshi stay as the main character, flaws and all.
Someone like Origins Red? He was a boring Ash, in my opinion.

Well, they don't need to replace Ash, an AU Ash can be the new protagonist.

Last edited:

BTS_fan

Immortal Queen
What even is an Ash clone post-DP? BW Ash =/= XY Ash =/= SM Ash. There's no continuity/growth to his personality.

I just meant someone who is obviously meant to be an Ash expy. So like, similar design maybe even a similar hat and motivation .

Sham

The Guardian of War
Agreed, this is not Boruto. He’s probably gonna be replaced by a character exactly like/the opposite of him. Anyway Ritchie was weird... they made a character modeled after Ash... when he’s already modeled after Red?

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
I would take Ash clones with slight personality changes from their respective series than Ash anyday. The problem with Ash is that we often compare to his past contributions due of his multiple regional experiences, wondering why he somehow couldn't do such actions like he did before and he's more vulnerable from fans for him being out of character whenever there's a slight personality changes from him. At least from Ash clones we all know that they started fresh instead of a reset.

BTS_fan

Immortal Queen
Well, they did replace May with Dawn and gave Dawn exactly the same goal as her predecessor but I don't see people complaing about that.
It shouldn't be any different with Ash, especially that we basically got a new protagonist this saga, as SM Ash has so little in common with XY(Z) Ash.

Actually a lot of people did complain back in like 2006. Obviously those complaints aren't around now since that was over a decade ago, but it's not like all of the fanbase took May's replacement with good graces. The same would apply to Ash leaving, although it would be an even bigger deal. And why are people still acting like SuMo's version of Ash is some kind of AU version of him that isn't canon. Good grief...

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
Someone like Origins Red? He was a boring Ash, in my opinion.

Well, they don't need to replace Ash, an AU Ash can be the new protagonist.
Problem It is Red is in a way "Ash" ...hell even Special!Red is "Satoshi" if has takeshi shudõ made os ani more like shonen anime and keep classic pocket monsters game stuff in the Pokemon anime show to begins with it in the first place.

Leonhart

Imagineer
While I dislike some of Satoshi's flaws and inconsistencies as well, the thought of us getting a new protagonist in every saga would actually make the anime more predictable since we'd know in advance to expect the protagonist to only remain for a few years before the next games require promotion, by which time the protagonist would be replaced by someone new who's more relevant. Seeing that cycle repeat itself would make me less interested in the main character, because I'd already know in the back of my mind that they're disposable.

Not that Satoshi's own story isn't already predictable in some ways too, but at least the writers pretend to care about his future and they don't treat him as if he's disposable. They try to make him more relevant to the newest generation by at least adapting his character to fit the needs of each new saga.

VoltTacklingPika

While I dislike some of Satoshi's flaws and inconsistencies as well, the thought of us getting a new protagonist in every saga would actually make the anime more predictable since we'd know in advance to expect the protagonist to only remain for a few years before the next games require promotion, by which time the protagonist would be replaced by someone new who's more relevant. Seeing that cycle repeat itself would make me less interested in the main character, because I'd already know in the back of my mind that they're disposable.

Not that Satoshi's own story isn't already predictable in some ways too, but at least the writers pretend to care about his future and they don't treat him as if he's disposable. They try to make him more relevant to the newest generation by at least adapting his character to fit the needs of each new saga.

I'm not following this logic. Every character's story inevitably reaches a conclusion, yet we still invest time into them as long as their stories are compelling. Replacing a character roughly every three years doesn't make them "disposable". It means they'd be concluding the story of one character and beginning a new story with another.

This would be a case where the predictability is a non-issue. Knowing you're going to get a new character every three years is irrelevant when you don't know what sort of character they're going to be and what there story will be. Conversely, hanging on to the same character makes the story more predictable, because even if Ash differs slightly from season to season, he still broadly reacts the same way. So we know exactly how he's going to handle certain situations before we even see it.

I should point out as well, that three years is a long time to spend with any one character. If a character feels disposable after that amount of time, they would have done a poor job.

Leonhart

Imagineer
VoltTacklingPika said:
Knowing you're going to get a new character every three years is irrelevant when you don't know what sort of character they're going to be and what there story will be.

I disagree regarding us supposedly not knowing how his replacement might behave. Common sense tells us that even if Satoshi gets replaced, his replacement would almost certainly have a similar personality to him since there would be a niche to fill, and the replacement becoming a doppelgänger of Satoshi would be the easiest way to fill that spot. I also don't trust the writing staff to be able to come up with anything new in terms of personality traits for the replacement in the first place.

because even if Ash differs slightly from season to season, he still broadly reacts the same way.

That's an interesting point of view given that practically everyone who has criticized Satoshi in this thread has called him inconsistent.

If a character feels disposable after that amount of time, they would have done a poor job.

But this is another reason why I'm against the idea: given the abominable way that many of the main characters have been handled throughout the series, why should I have faith that a new protagonist would be handled any better? The anime's reputation for questionable writing proceeds it no matter what kind of change the producers/showrunners try to add to spice things up.

Last edited:

Redstar45

End his story in 2026, the 30th Anniversary of Pokemon.

Assuming, Sword and Shield lasts 3 years. 2020 to 2022. Drag the next Generation for 4 years; they have done this before...

Rush through the regular story in 2.5 years main league. Then have a timeskip of like 2 to 5 years; it doesn't matter, he is 10 years old... then return him to Kanto to conclude his story.

He can show off his beefed up Pokemon he trained during the timeskip. For instance, surprise us by sending out a Venusaur, Blastoise, and Garchomp. Surprise us with Pidgeot and Primeape.

Have him beat officially Team Rocket, team up with Mewtwo for some epic conclusion, then have him return to the Kanto League, beat the Elite 4, and make him the Champion of Kanto ......that will made him like Gameverse's Red or Special Manga's Red .
This is more or less that i wanted Anime to end like that ...with a hint of a existence of blue and Yellow . As i am Pokemon special manga fan that would i most please if that happens!

Last edited:

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
End his story in 2026, the 30th Anniversary of Pokemon.

Assuming, Sword and Shield lasts 3 years. 2020 to 2022. Drag the next Generation for 4 years; they have done this before...

Rush through the regular story in 2.5 years main league. Then have a timeskip of like 2 to 5 years; it doesn't matter, he is 10 years old... then return him to Kanto to conclude his story.

He can show off his beefed up Pokemon he trained during the timeskip. For instance, surprise us by sending out a Venusaur, Blastoise, and Garchomp. Surprise us with Pidgeot and Primeape.

Have him beat officially Team Rocket, team up with Mewtwo for some epic conclusion, then have him return to the Kanto League, beat the Elite 4, and make him the Champion of Kanto.

Then reset the Pokemon Anime in the next season, with a new character, and I guess Pikachu... but no more Ash, Ash is now only known as a legend that saved the Pokemon world.

2026 is the 30th Anniversary of Pokemon. Assuming kids that grew up in Gen 1 was around 10 years old in 1996. They be 40 years old already. It should be a last push for kanto pandering and the people that grew up with Ash.

The problem with Ash is that he is multi generational mascot character. You can't make him strong, you can't make him weak him, you can't progress him without deprogressing him. The Anime has to go on, but it's hard to write Ash as a character that develops if there is no end to his development. He can't be too mature because young kids are watching him. He can't be too dumb because 30 year old adults are watching him. The writers essentially wrote themselves to a corner, and it's worst you can't replace him because he has become too iconic...
That's never gonna happen. Can't remember who it was but one of the producers says that if Ash wins the league, the anime is over. Now I know a lot of you people think it's stupid but if you look at it from the Pokemon Company's point of view, how they were overprotective of Ash when the movie studios were approaching them, their just playing it safe.

I feel like the best "compromise" to create a satisfying Pokemon anime experience for both new and older Pokemon fans is to create a shonen Pokemon anime alongside the original Pokemon anime, adapting off of the world of Pokemon Adventures as it pretty much has already laid the groundwork out how to adapt the games in amazing awesome ways. It's a win-win for the Pokemon Company. The Pokemon anime can focus on adapting the newest generation while an Pokemon Adventures manga anime adaptation would kick things off with some of that Kanto catering and Kanto catering done right, if they actually create a good adaptation, to the point that those who are annoyed at the Kanto-catering are reminded just how memorable the Kanto region was. Through this, your essentially "marketing" two generations at once and once those newer younger fans grow up, they might find themselves going onboard a Pokemon Adventures anime adaptation. However, this all hinges upon if the Pokemon Adventures anime adaptation is done right. It's a win-win for everyone don't you think? Except of course the fans who want to see Ash's journey come to a satisfactory conclusion.

Redstar45

That's never gonna happen. Can't remember who it was but one of the producers says that if Ash wins the league, the anime is over. Now I know a lot of you people think it's stupid but if you look at it from the Pokemon Company's point of view, how they were overprotective of Ash when the movie studios were approaching them, their just playing it safe.

I feel like the best "compromise" to create a satisfying Pokemon anime experience for both new and older Pokemon fans is to create a shonen Pokemon anime alongside the original Pokemon anime, adapting off of the world of Pokemon Adventures as it pretty much has already laid the groundwork out how to adapt the games in amazing awesome ways. It's a win-win for the Pokemon Company. The Pokemon anime can focus on adapting the newest generation while an Pokemon Adventures manga anime adaptation would kick things off with some of that Kanto catering and Kanto catering done right, if they actually create a good adaptation, to the point that those who are annoyed at the Kanto-catering are reminded just how memorable the Kanto region was. Through this, your essentially "marketing" two generations at once and once those newer younger fans grow up, they might find themselves going onboard a Pokemon Adventures anime adaptation. However, this all hinges upon if the Pokemon Adventures anime adaptation is done right. It's a win-win for everyone don't you think? Except of course the fans who want to see Ash's journey come to a satisfactory conclusion.
I won't be able stand red as i always have see him as Satoshi 2.0 and rest of dex owners are not that great once you actually thinking about it and only blue (dude i have a version of her character as my avatar) is best as she is most developed character that kusaka done and i am a special manga fan and i saying that Pokemon special manga is overrated and i have really read a better manga then that and tpc need to promoting them more that goddanm stupid manga.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
I won't be able stand red as i always have see him as Satoshi 2.0 and rest of dex owners are not that great once you actually thinking about it and only blue (dude i have a version of her character as my avatar) is best as she is most developed character that kusaka done and i am a special manga fan and i saying that Pokemon special manga is overrated and i have really read a better manga then that and tpc need to promoting them more that goddanm stupid manga.
Hey question. Remember that time you told me Red was an awesome character, naming him one of your favorites, you wanting to combine the best qualities of Red and the best qualities of Ash into one character? Perhaps I should've said this long ago but why is it every time you repeat those same, even sometimes exact words, it feels like you don't actually mean it? :D

Redstar45

.....i just see him as Satoshi the two pont oh ...and that it and there some aspects of red that i do like but frlg kind ruin him for me sorry but i just always have a issue with Pokemon special manga. I Guess that you could definitely said that i am too obsessed with Pokemon anime show or games and i always feels like Pokemon special manga just failing live up to my expectations...no matter how kusaka and his art team did.. and let's go against version of Satoshi tajri that i am deep greatly respected and appreciate. There is nothing you do to change to my mind about

Jeal

I already said that once: if Pokémon Company was interested and thought it would be so advantageous to adapt Pokémon Adventures, they would have already done so.

They will not make an anime based on games 20 years old, let alone an anime based on a manga with very different stories of the games. They would probably create a direct adaptation of the games.

An anime based on Special would be completely different anyway, more like the original anime.