• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ash's Strongest Regional Team

What do you think was Ash's Strongest Regional Team?

• Kanto/Orange Islands

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Johto

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Hoenn

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • Sinnoh

Votes: 26 65.0%
  • Unova

Votes: 3 7.5%

• Total voters

SuperPichu

Pokémon!
So, by this I mean, out of all the regions, in which one do you think he had the strongest team. Please take into account all the Pokemon he caught in that region. Think of all the Pokemon's strengths and weaknesses. Also, if he didn't catch the Pokemon in that region, but he used it in that team, (e.g. Donphan in the Hoenn Team) then it counts as a member of that team as well as the region it was caught in. However, leagues and the Pokemon he used the Battle Frontier matches (The ones that were with him all the time count for BF season. e.g. Sceptile. BTW Battle Frontier Team counts as Hoenn Team) don't apply to that rule (e.g. Quilava was used in the Sinnoh League, but it wasn't part of his Sinnoh team). Although you can take into account the moves it learnt during/prior to the leagues (Quilava with Aerial Ace). And please give a reason for you choice. (Sorry if this confused anyone, if you have any questions just ask me).

I'd say Hoenn. Kanto may have had the most powerhouses, but most of the Pokemon didn't get enough screentime to truly determine their strength. Sceptile and Torkoal were also 2 of the 4 Pokemon that beat Tobias' Darkrai. And Swellow must've done quite a bit to Latios coz Pikachu knocked it out (although it got knocked out too) and Pikachu was used straight after Swellow. And Glalie did pretty darn well in the Hoenn League too. The overall strength seems to be the highest too IMO.

Last edited:

Janovy

Banned
His Sinnoh team.

TheSirPeras

The end of an era
Sinnoh Team.
All his Pokemon were pretty good, especially Infernape and Gliscor (imo). Buizel Gible and Staraptor are also good, Torterra is good but he's always been the fall guy :(

LizardonX

Banned
Probably sinnoh, but Charizard alone could probably take out half and bulbasaur and squirtle are probably far stronger than buizel and torterra respectively so kanto is also a possibility There's also snorlax.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
Gotta go with Hoenn. Infernape ****ed up the Sinnoh team for me.

Corphish/Swellow/Sceptile FTW!!!!!!!

ludiloco

I was expecting Sinnoh team taking the lead, but I voted Hoenn team. I don't know if the strongest, but it's my most favorite regional team he ever had.

Pikachu, Swellow, Grovyle, Corpish, Torkoal and Glalie. None of them was stronger or weaker the other five, (well, maybe Torkoal was a little bit weaker).

The most balanced team to perform in a league competition.

Sinnoh was pretty much unbalanced, infernape being his powerhouse overshadowed a further development for Torterra and Buizel, and Gliscor became strong because of it's training.

Kanto and Unova, not bad.

Johto... could've been better.

Blazicken

Sex on fire
hoen was very good
sceptile, swellow and glalie were incredible,
corphish was also a little boss on it's own,
and torkoal... not ash's specialty, but it had it's worth

As much as I hate Sinnoh, from the voice acting to the region to its blandness, I have to say Sinnoh.

Sprinter1988

I think Sinnoh simple because this is the first time that Ash's pokemon learned moves that were not either of their own type, or simply Normal type, as their main battling moves.
Pikachu, Charizard, Noctowl and Snorlax are acceptions to this, I know, but for the most part it stands:
Bulbasaur: Razor Leaf, Vine Whip, Leech Seed, SolarBeam (all grass)
Squirtle: Hydro Pump, Water Gun, Rapid Spin, Skull Bash (two water, two normal)
Bayleef: Razor Leaf, Vine Whip, Body Slam, Sweet Scent (two grass, two normal)
Muk: Poison Gas, Sludge Bomb, Body Slam (two poison, one normal)
The list goes on.
And Ash is repeating this in Unova. Alright, Krookodile hasn't fallen into this trap, each move he knows is a differnt type, but others have.
Oshawott now seems to know only water moves, and Pignite only fire. Snivy's three damaging moves are grass type, with Attract for backup. Unfezant knows three flying moves and one normal. Leavanny now appears to be limited to two grass moves and String Shot only (had it used Bug Bite since evolving from Sewaddle?)
Scraggy sort of gets away with it, and Palpitoad and Boldore are better than the rest in terms of move variation. Palpitoad just needs to get a new one.

However, when looking at Ash's Sinnoh team, you do see variation (in most):
Staraptor: Quick Attack, Aerial Ace, Brave Bird, Close Combat (one normal, one fighting, two flying)
Infernape: Flamethrower, Flare Blitz, Mach Punch, Dig (two fire, one fighting, one ground)
Gliscor: X-Scissor, Giga Impact, Fire Fang, Stone Edge (one bug, one normal, one fire and one rock)
Buizel: Water Gun, Aqua Jet, Ice Punch, Sonic Boom (two water, one ice, one normal)
Gible: Draco Meteor, Dragon Pulse, Rock Smash, Dig (two dragon, one fighting, one ground)

Then Torterra kind of let the side down a bit with three grass move and one normal, but hey at least he had a healing move (Ash just sucked at using it at the right time, and Rock Climb was usually a let down)

Ash's Pokemon in Sinnoh were frequently able to pull off surprise moves on their foes, like Infernape using the super-effective Dig on Paul's Electivire, or Gliscor using Giga Impact on Drapion before flipping through the air to get to safety.
Ash pulled off well planned stategies in Sinnoh. Admittedly this began in Hoenn with thing like Thunder Armor for Pikachu and Swellow, but only in Sinnoh was this used effectively, with the creation, and sometimes repeated use of Counter Shield, Ice Aqua Jet, Underground Flare Blitz and the Volt Tackle/Iron Tail combo that brought down Latios.

This stuff doesn't seem to show up in Unova anymore, and Ash's team seems to be lacking because of it.

jh941

To be fair I feel each region team had its own strengths:

Kanto (and Orange Islands): The first ever team he put together, he had his disobedient powerhouse in Charizard, his consistent battlers in Pikachu, Squirtle, Bulbasaur and Pidgeotto. He also had his strong reserves, through these two regions I feel each pokemon (Muk, Kingler, Tauros, Snorlax and Lapras) were shown to be very strong and had their good moments.

Johto: Showed that Ash does not have to evolve his team in order for them to be decent battlers, with each member in his team having their star moments. Although I admit this definitely looked and probably was his weakest team.

Hoenn (and BF): This is where his training began to take shape I feel, with each member not really being majorly stronger than another by the time the league came. Nice and well balanced, showed Ash to be a lot stronger.

Sinnoh: Carries on from before, having a large range of moves at his disposal, was probably his strongest team (which is why this is the one I have voted for). All pokemon bar one of his original Sinnoh team being fully evolved, Buizel was the only one who was not but made up for it with the development it received. Gible was caught late one, but it too showed how strong it is.

Unova: And his final team, I feel that this team is stronger than everyone gives credit for, the only reason it looks weaker is due to the lack of fully evolved pokemon when compared to how his Sinnoh team looked. He has a much much larger number of pokemon at his disposal, and they have a good range of moves really, overall in his entire team there are only a couple of types that are not covered, but can potentially be covered at a later point.

Ash&Pikachu-Fan

Pika-Speed
I chose, "Sinnoh" cause most of his Pokemon were fully evolved and he did train them well, I'd like to say Unova but I'd have to see how well they will do in the league.

WhyHelloThere

He wasn't terrible at battling, he just battled an overpowered Drapion, an E4 and had to give Infernape the spotlight on the last gym...

He battled a Claydol and couldn't even touch it. Claydol then got it's *** kicked by a Baltoy.

He was 1hKO'd by Pin Missile immideately after recovering himself with Synthesis. Pin missile.

Also check out a post of yours in another thread which implied that you don't think much of Torterra either:

So if Quilava is the best because it was often used as a CYNDAQUIL, does it mean Torterra is super strong because it was great as a Turtwig? Or does it mean Swellow sucks because Taillow never won a battle? Uhm... :rolleyes:

TheSirPeras

The end of an era
He battled a Claydol and couldn't even touch it. Claydol then got it's *** kicked by a Baltoy.

He was 1hKO'd by Pin Missile immideately after recovering himself with Synthesis. Pin missile.

Also check out a post of yours in another thread which implied that you don't think much of Torterra either:

Claydol battle wasn't official... and don't forget Claydol is a psychic type...

Pin Missile, bug move. And the writers always make weak attacks stronger. Quick Attack, Ember, Water Gun, Bullet Seed, Tackle, etc.
Yeah I don't think Torterra is great. He isn't terrible like you said though, for his two battles he could have won he was used as the fall guy for another starter (Infernape), and he would have never won against an E4 trainer. I really don't think he's great, but I also don't think he's terrible...

Last edited: