1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We're currently having an issue where e-mails sent to gmail accounts are not going through and are bouncing back. We're currently working to resolve this matter and apologise for any inconvenience
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Ash's strongest rival

Discussion in 'Pokémon Animé Discussion' started by masterori, Sep 26, 2010.

1. masterori

masterori New Member

Was reading a thread on here and noticed some people saying Paul is Ash's strongest rival.

I'm just curious what you guys think about the other rivals compared to Paul. Personally I still feel that Gary is Ash's strongest rival. Sure he stopped being a trainer but I'm positive if he had competed in Sinnoh he would've had a very strong team.

Sorry if this is a pointless thread, if it is feel free to close etc

LilligantLewis likes this.
  2. Emperor Empoleon

Emperor Empoleon Honor of Kalos

I think Gary is pretty good too. We know that he has a great amount of Pokemon on him, and that took some time no doubt. I think he couldve been even better if he stayed as a battle trainer.

3. Sayho1234

Sayho1234 Well-Known Member

Gary, 'nuff said!

4. EliteMaster

EliteMaster Well-Known Member

I have to agree with you guys. Gary had a strong set of pokemon and could have kicked ash's other rivals butt. Plus let's not forget that he has been a long-time pain in the *** for Ash too.

5. pokemonloverXD

pokemonloverXD Ash's fangirl

Yeah, agreed but Paul to me is still Ash's strongest rival

6. Pinsirius

Pinsirius Sentimental Fool ;)

I honestly think Gary could beat Paul- at least he would catch on to his love of setup.

7. CyberCubed

CyberCubed Banned

Paul is overall much stronger than Gary.

8. randomspot555

randomspot555 Well-Known Member

It's not that Paul vs Gary once is stronger or whatever. It's the personalities. Gary was always "Jerk with a heart of gold". I mean, you KNEW they secretly respected eachother and were probably friends at one point. Paul just didn't care, about anything. He didn't even bother to learn Dawn's name (I'm not even certain if he's ever referred to Ash, Brock, or Dawn by name).

While the individual rivals all have their pluses and minuses, I think Pauls' rivalry with Ash is much more intense.

9. CaramellDansenXLove

CaramellDansenXLove N00B to the site

So very, very true, especially that last comment. Although Gary, who has a more powerful and versatile Pokemon set is a strong Pokemon trainer, who was the better rival? Gary just provided the much needed smack down for Ash. Paul, however, probably emotionally scarred Ash. I mean, Paul was just the black hole in Ash's life, and Ash is just...Ash! We even got to see the dark side of him for once.

In a battle, I'd have to say that Gary would own Paul. Not only is he an experienced trainer, remember, Gary narrowly lost against Ash. And Ash...I honestly can not say that I enjoyed his victory against Paul. I mean, Paul beat you in like every single battle before, why, at the most crucial times did you win JUST now? Ugh, but whatever.

Paul served as a better rival, but Gary will always be the strongest, and the ORIGINAL.

10. Pinsirius

My first thought upon discovering Paul was Damien (Charmander's Trainer, English name), taken to his logical extreme. Pokemon are tools to be owned, honed, and discarded when necessary. Then I saw how intense he was, and now compare him to Cyrus, at least Cyrus according to the games, as Damien only used Pokemon as a means to an end, while Cyrus at least appreciated their nuances.

He was exactly what the show needed. Someone to call Ash out on how he trained Pokemon, and beat him to prove it. Someone who didn't call Pokemon friends, only tools, and actually succeded under that philsophy, as opposed to being a simple jerk. At risk of overanalyzing, he fell flat on two things.

1) What did Paul want? Glory? Why? What do you gain from Pokemon mastery if you insist on being that one weird guy who shakes off everyone else and for all we know doesn't even know what his monsters like to eat? Defeats the entire point of the franchise, and makes Cynthia's 6-0ing him just as necessary as his existence, someone to reinforce in turn the idea that a friendship-based partnership can have epic results. True, his making nothing of the defeat makes him a stronger character then, say, Silver after having his butt kicked by Lance, but it doesn't negate it.

2) In Pokemon, it's all talk until you can prove it on the battlefield. I know we're talking character, but character ties in directly to Pokemon handling in this show, so I see no problem bringing it up. Unlike Ash, who was mediocre for most of Sinnoh, Gary knows Pokemon both instinctively and academically, as opposed to Ash's only employing the former. He deveops comboes with his monsters beforehand, and as I said previously, would have delt with Paul's love of entry hazards much better.

Again, Infernape getting revenge by beating Paul with the power he had always wanted is nice, but it's not Ash's style winning over Paul's, it's a Deus-ex-Fire Monkey.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  11. Paul shows some Pokemon that could thrash Gary and he would of had a better chance against team galactic than Gary

12. Pinsirius

Gary was just as pathetic as Ash that time. I was appalled that he got beat by Galactics.

13. Cazak

Cazak When Wings Fly High

Its a tough question, but I'll put my money on Gary. He used to be a powerful trainer, and becoming a proff. gives him superior knowledge on poke'mon which he could use to his advantage.

14. Aether13

Aether13 Well-Known Member

Gary for sure, he's always been the best and he is the orginal rival.

15. Devastator2000

Devastator2000 Are you high...?

I put $500 dollars on Gary and raise you 100 pokeblock.

16. rioT6296

rioT6296 a girl who dreams (:

I think both Gary and Paul are strong rivals.
    but, I'm more on Gary's side since he is the first rival of Ash's, and;
    I completely agree with that whole sentence.

17. PorygonL

PorygonL Sleepin Trainer

YES!! Gary is bombdiggady! He can own paul any day!

18. poizonsting

poizonsting Pokemon master

Gary, hands down, even though he's not a trainer anymore.
    If Ash's Infernape can beat Paul's Electivire, Gary's Electivire should have no problem at all in beating its counterpart on Paul's side.

19. dougtrio

dougtrio Well-Known Member

I'd have to say Paul is still Ash's strongest rival.

20. BlueDragonfangirl

BlueDragonfangirl Well-Known Member

As of now so far I'd say Paul, have a battle now and Paul would crush him cuz all Gary does is researching. Back in the past if they battled, Gary might give a tough battle, but both would have had giant egos LOL. We have to see Shooti in action now, see if he can top Paul at all, going to be hard.