• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ash's strongest rival

Lunanight

Gary would absolutely own Paul any day.
He has great Pokemon and he cares for each one of them unlike Paul for any of his.

I normally would not be this bias but gary does not battle at all, or if he does: he does not battle as much.

also, if drapion can sweep half of ash's team, It would sweep more of gary's pokemon since ash has more battle experiance now (gary's pokemon knowledge as a professor will not help him in battle).

if gastrodon beat staraptor when it had the chance, ash would have 5 left and you can argue that drapion could beat or tie with infernape.

gary is a good rival, and shooti will be as well. but paul raised the bar a bit high so it will be a will before we get a better rival.

maybe in the 6th gen (if there is going to be one), there will be a rival that is better then paul

Moneyy

INACTIVE
Right now, Paul. In Kanto and Johto, Gary used to be good. I think he's more into researching than battling now, which could have caused him to forget a few things about a real competitive battle.

Paul Ketchum

Remarkable!
Paul had better pokemon, a better relationship with Ash, a better story, and better battles than Gary ever did. He was the first rival in the series to have a legitimate rivalry with Ash that grew bigger and more tense as the story progressed.

It's just plain ridiculous to think that Gary was a better rival than Paul in any way, shape, or form.

Pinsirius

Sentimental Fool ;)
I normally would not be this bias but gary does not battle at all, or if he does: he does not battle as much.

also, if drapion can sweep half of ash's team, It would sweep more of gary's pokemon since ash has more battle experiance now (gary's pokemon knowledge as a professor will not help him in battle).

if gastrodon beat staraptor when it had the chance, ash would have 5 left and you can argue that drapion could beat or tie with infernape.

gary is a good rival, and shooti will be as well. but paul raised the bar a bit high so it will be a will before we get a better rival.

maybe in the 6th gen (if there is going to be one), there will be a rival that is better then paul

Hasty conclusion; Oak hasn't battled in decades and can thwart Team Rocket with a freshly caught Pidgey. What's worse is that Gary's Sinnoh appearances aren't really any better than what Ash would have done in that situation.

I stand by the fact that Gary would have actually tried to counter Paul's game, as opposed to Ash who got swept by Drapion and won by Blazehax.

TicoPokemonMaster

Are we seriously comparing Gary to paul.

In the original series Ash battled Gary TWICE. Once at Oak's lab after the Orange League, and then in the Johto Legue. Three time if you count the episode Pokemon Extreme Race ( episode where pokemon pulled trainer with a skateboard). and once at the end of Battle Froniter.

Paul in one saga has battle Ash a total of SIX times

1. first battle
2. Turtwig vs. Chimchar
3. Chimchar vs. Ursuring
4. Grotle vs Honchcrow
5. Full battle
6. League
7. if you count Staraptor vs. Honchrow in Pokeringer.

the is no comparsion to be had here. All we could judge from Gary was that his eevee was stronger than pikachu. The six pokemon he used in Johto were strong. and Electrivire was strong as well.

Lunanight

All I said is that gary does not battle anymore so it means he is not as good as when he was in Kanto/Johto.

@pinsirius
Blaze is not hax as it is an ability but IT ONLY ACTIVATES WHEN INFERNAPE IS GETTING OWNED

CoordinatingMaster

Contestshipper <3
I also think Paul and Gary are his strongest rivals. They both always beat him until the end when they leave and Ash wins a battle against him. Gary's team was awesome in Kanto and Johto and I loved all of his Pokemon. Paul's Pokemon are really strong and they've beaten Ash's Pokemon almost all the time.

TheGreen1

I honestly don't know. I mean, Ash could have whipped out a team with Sceptile, Charizard, non-nerfed Pikachu, Snorlax, Glalie, and possibly Swellow and probably would have beat Paul all those times. Especially at the beginning, where Paul would have had NO answer to Charizard. Torterra? ***** please. Charizard has type advantages over both of Torterra's dual-types. Let's not forget, Charizard could pull the same **** Ash did with Gary, and just fly out of range, and superheat the field. Torterra is slower than Blastoise, and unlike Blastoise, it's not resistant to fire, in fact quite the opposite. Charizard would have utterly trolled Paul in the beginning, and even at the Pokemon league. Ash wouldn't have as easy of a time against Gary, as it was shown in the Silver Conference. Blastoise was a good match against Charizard.

Anyways, I ultimately have to say Paul. Paul had more experience than Gary, and also did better too. Even so, Technically Ash is stronger than both, he just lost to Paul due to the fact that he wasn't using his star team.

Last edited:

TurtwigFan1

burning it down
To be honest, Paul is probably stronger and a lot cooler but Gary is still really strong. We could debate it for ever, when the truth is there's no real answer.

Assuming Gary still has knowledge about battling even though he doesn't focus on it much anymore, he is and always will be Ash's strongest rival. No two ways about it.

He would royally mop the floor with Paul in a battle.

Pseudo-Unlegendary

I be an Exotic One
Gary's team was better spread out and had stronger pokemon average, Paul's was stronger overall, if Tyson can be included in the conversation I'd choose him since he actually won, but if he doesn't count I'll go with Paul.

Good One!

I guess it really does come down to Paul or Gary, but let's not forget Ritchie, Barry, Harrison, Morrison, and Tyson. Harrison did have a powerful Blaziken and Tyson had the cool looking Meowth and the strong Sceptile. Ritchie has kind of mirrored Ash, I always thought he was an Ash rip-off. Morrison was similar to Barry, anxious to battle and determined to win. Barry is an interesting character to me because he's trying to live up to his dad's rep and he has a beast Empoleon.

Paul is an excellent character and a rival like Ash has never had before - cold, calculating, and vicious. He treats his pokemon like weapons, he strategizes like no other character before, and he has an awesome arsenal. He is the Larry Bird to your Magic Johnson, the Cowboys to your 49ers, The Yankees to your Red Sox. He is the rival that will force you to evolve and become stronger. I wonder if we'll ever see him again?

I think Gary WAS Ash's true rival, until he decided to become a pokemon researcher. Gary was, I repeat, was the ideal rival for Ash. He's the well-to-do pokemon trainer, the one that was destined for greatness. He was brash, knowledgeable, eager, and savvy. He'd take small, quick jabs at Ash's ego, and always egg Ash on. He was that good-looking jock that would make fun of us in the hallway in high school. He pushed Ash to work hard and brought out Ash's competitive spirit. Now, he's more of a support character and I hope to see him again in Best Wishes, though I doubt it.

I'd love to see Paul and Gary have a 6 on 6 battle. If I was Paul, I'd use Electivire, Torterra, Ursaring, Magmotar, Drapion, and Honchkrow. If I were Gary, I'd use Blastoise, Umbreon, Arcanine, Electivire, Dodrio, and Scizor. I think that'd be a freakin' legendary battle!

So Ash's strongest current rival goes to Paul by default since Gary isn't battling anymore. Maybe best wishes will have a better rival? I'm sure we'll find out.

Though Gary isnt battling anymore does not mean he doesnt count. He still battled ash after and defeated him plus he has a great and powerful team. So I believe it is Gary.

BlueVapor

I'm gonna go with Paul. Though Gary still is my favorite rival, Paul was shown as incredibly strong, something that I never saw Gary as :/