• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ash's strongest rival

Kuzehiko

That moment I found a lifetime treasure
Many people think being the strongest makes you the greatest but no. If you are the strongest then you are just the strongest but when it comes down to be the greatest many things should be considered imo.

Ash's strongest rival is Alain, no contest here but Ash's greatest rival is Paul to date.

Paul has the true traits of a mc rival to begin with. Paul probably has the greatest and nicest character development in the Pokémon anime? He is very flawed character but went through an amazing development. He has a very solid background character as well.

Paul's tactics and strategies are so damn interesting and he owns badass Pokemon team. Moreover, his rivalry with Ash is the main spotlight in Pokemon DP unlike his other rivals. Ash and Paul both grew up as trainers and persons and not to say their rivalry was recognized by Cynthia herself. Paul is still Ash's greatest rival.

SoundVoltex

Strongest?

Alain:
  • Defeated 10 Mega-Evolved Pokemon in a row including an Elite 4 member.
  • Fought on equal terms with Steven Stone, Hoenn Champion.
  • Was recognized as strong enough to stop the Primals and Mega Rayquaza.
  • Took less than a week to get 8 badges in the Kalos region.
  • Basically got to the finals in the Kalos league with mainly one Pokemon (two in the Semi-Finals)
Greatest story driven rival?

Paul:
  • Similar experience compared to Ash in regions traveled, badges earned, and Pokemon caught and trained.
  • Completely vastly different battle style and training methods from Ash but somehow on the same level, sometimes exceeding him.
  • Story driven Pokemon: Chimchar who had something to prove. Empathy vs Strategy.
  • Multiple mentions that Ash and Paul are two trainers on different sides of the same coin, who walked different paths but ended up at the same destination.
I'm sure there's more. Gary had his finale with Johto, and honestly that battle was quite epic. Gary had similar traits with Paul and had even more elements to make him a "greater" rival, but it was never explored all that much. I hope Gary is brought back at some point.

Kage-Pikachu

I'm sure there's more. Gary had his finale with Johto, and honestly that battle was quite epic. Gary had similar traits with Paul and had even more elements to make him a "greater" rival, but it was never explored all that much. I hope Gary is brought back at some point.
He could have been a guest at the Pokemon School is Sun and Moon! I mean he is training to be a researcher...

I can't believe he didn't make an appearance during the trip to Kanto...

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Strongest was Paul, much he was a dick at least he didn't cheat to get where he got.
Without Mega Evolution, Alain is nothing

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Strongest was Paul, much he was a dick at least he didn't cheat to get where he got.
Without Mega Evolution, Alain is nothing
Alain never cheated to get where he got so I don't know literally what you're talking about. When did Alain cheat to win his battles, he won them legitimately with the strength of his Charizard and the unbreakable bond he and his Charizard shared which helped them attain Mega Evolution. He was the one who got cheated by Lysandre, if anything.

Genaller

Silver Soul
Alain never cheated to get where he got so I don't know literally what you're talking about. When did Alain cheat to win his battles, he won them legitimately with the strength of his Charizard and the unbreakable bond he and his Charizard shared which helped them attain Mega Evolution. He was the one who got cheated by Lysandre, if anything.
Man that’s the same guy who said “true trainers don’t need Megas” in the Sawyer vs Tyson thread. I guess for him the E4s and Champions aren’t “true” trainers since they also use ME (after it got introduced) and it’s obvious that even the E4 members and Champions who appeared before ME was a thing will get access to it if they ever appear again since Steven got ME when he previously didn’t. As far as his logic is concerned Steven and Diantha are both “cheaters” since they use ME and Cynthia will probably be a “cheater” the next time she appears since in the SM games she was confirmed to have Mega Garchomp. Clearly this person’s opinion isn’t worth taking seriously else Champion Masters aren’t “true” trainers apparently.

nickdt

In a way, Alain did cheat. Yes, he didn't know, but that doesn't matter, since its still considered cheating.

Without the Buff from Lysandre's device, Mega Zard could have taken down 2 Mega's at least, before going down too the third.

Even with the buff, Ash-Greninja was going toe-to-toe, meaning it would have fallen with ease without the buff, so yes, Alain cheated.

Epicocity

In a way, Alain did cheat. Yes, he didn't know, but that doesn't matter, since its still considered cheating.

Without the Buff from Lysandre's device, Mega Zard could have taken down 2 Mega's at least, before going down too the third.

Even with the buff, Ash-Greninja was going toe-to-toe, meaning it would have fallen with ease without the buff, so yes, Alain cheated.
There is no canon evidence that there was any buff from the Mega Ring. The Mega Evolution energy was taken from the Mega Ring and diverted to Lysandre's uses. There was nothing buffing Charizard; it was all on his own strength.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
There is no canon evidence that there was any buff from the Mega Ring. The Mega Evolution energy was taken from the Mega Ring and diverted to Lysandre's uses. There was nothing buffing Charizard; it was all on his own strength.
I agree; if he was cheating it would have been made obvious to the viewers.

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy

You've been spouting the same thing for the past 2 years regarding Alain's MCX receiving a boost from the Mega Evolution energy, eventhough the Flare arc clearly stated that the energy went to power up the device used to capture Zygarde only. So yes, Alain's Charizard did not cheat in any way, and it's time you got rid of that misunderstanding.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll

Even with the buff, Ash-
was going toe-to-toe, meaning it would have fallen with ease without the buff, so yes, Alain cheated.
Literally where did you get this information that Alain's Mega Charizard X was getting a buff from Lysandre's device??? Please point out the exact moment because I have watched the ME specials and XY(Z) plenty of times and I never recall such a moment at all whatsoever. The Mega Evolution energy was all meant for the Megalith, it was even stated outright by Lysandre during the Flare arc. Lysandre collected his Mega Evolution energy so that he can power up the Megalith to be as devastating as it became in the end. So why on earth would Lysandre waste his precious Mega Evolution energy he was collecting via Alain which was meant for powering up the Megalith, meaninglessly on Alain's Mega Charizard X lol?

Last edited:

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...

Why on Earth would Lysandre be such an idiot to give the guy collecting energy, a guy who he's manipulating which means he expect for him to turn on him, a device that could be used against him in the form of a power buff? While we're at it, wouldn't the power buff be counter productive to Lysandre who knows Mega Evolution is only available to few trainers, meaning that, if anything, should be taking more time and energy to keep energy?

keepitsimple

site of lies
Alain without a doubt, as much as I dislike him. Don't know why people are saying it's Paul; a trainer who defeated an Elite would obviously be stronger than a trainer who got curbstomped by a Frontier Brain. That's just common sense

Gary beats both when it comes to being a fun character though

Twilight-Kun

Pokemon World Champion
I barely count Gary as a rival since he barely had any screentime and most of his hype comes from his game counterpart

I'd say Alain, Sawyer, and Paul are Ash's best rivals, if only because by the time of their debuts, the writers had finally found their footing when it came to writing them

Alain is the insurmountable wall
Sawyer was the student learning from a master
Paul was the dark counterpart

They all have their highs, lows, good traits and bad, but I wouldn't consider any of them truly terrible characters and they all helped Ash grow, unlike some other rivals out there

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Power Rankings:

1. Alain
GAP
GAP

2. Paul
3.Virgil
4.Tyson
5.Sawyer
6.Harrison
7.Gary (OS)
8.Cameron
9.Trevor
10.Barry
11.Trip
12.Morrison
13.Stephan
14.Tierno
15.Bianca
16.Ritchie

Skill Rankings:

1. Paul
GAP
GAP

2. Sawyer
3.Trip
4.Alain
5.Virgil
6.Tyson
7.Harrison
8.Barry
9.Gary (OS)
10.Stephan
11.Morrison
12.Tierno
13.Trevor
14.Ritchie
15.Cameron
16.Bianca

Yeah I just didn't care anymore at that point,the person went on to talk about the philosophy of bonding between a trainer and pokemon and then say that Paul was predictable and was bound to fail in the end,the writers used this same formula with Gary and Trip.:rolleyes:

Paul pretty much had Ash beat at the SL,but luckily for Ash Hax Blaze and Plot saved his a**.

Add Conway, Nando, Kiawe, and Gladion.

the rest of Alain's team seemed standard to me.

the rest of Alain's team was made up by Shinzo Fujita on the spot.

You can have a good 3 point shot in basketball but that doesn't make you a stronger basketball player.

Tell that to the Warriors.

PokemonBattleFanatic-

Hardcore Paul Fan
Alain should be top in skill as well, because you do not get through ten consecutive battles and a member of the Elite Four with power alone
What makes Alain more skilled than Paul as a battler?I've seen his battles in the mega evolution specials and in the XY series and quite frankly I did not see that much skill from him like I did with Paul.

So please tell me what did Alain do that was better than what Paul did in battles like,
  • Paul vs Ash (When Pokemon Worlds Collide)
  • Paul vs Ash (Different Strokes For Different Blokes)
  • Paul vs Roark (Shape of Things To Come)
  • Paul vs Ash (Pedal to the Mettle)
  • Paul vs Ash (Evolving Strategies)
  • Paul vs Barry (Casting a Paul on Barry)
  • Paul vs Ash (Familiarity Breeds Strategy)
  • Paul vs Ash (A Real Rival Rouser)
  • Paul vs Ash (Battling a Thaw in Relations)

PokemonBattleFanatic-

Hardcore Paul Fan
Then you weren't paying attention

And since you're a Paul fan, you're never going to agree that anyone is more skilled than him, so it's pointless to try
I'll just rewatch all of his battles again but it's rather bullsh*t to say that but can't give examples just because I'm a fan.If this is how you really feel then I don't see why you even bothered responding to one of my old posts unless it was just to get a reaction out of me.