• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ash's Team is Extremely Weak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dreamcast

I haven't watched all of this most recent season, but as someone looking in from the outside Ash's team looks incredibly weak. He has two unevolved starters and no real powerhouse. It's sorta depressing as a long time fan remembering Ash's incredible team vs Gary in the Tournament. His more recent teams have had some pretty impressive fighters such as Sceptile and Infernape as well.

The same can't be said for this newer generation team of his. It looks really quite sad and weak. It's my understanding that the Tournament where he fights Trip has already started in Japan with the same weak group.

I remember someone telling me about the fatal flaw in the Pokemon anime last year where Ash loses all the experience he gained over the years along with his best pokemon once a new region enters the show. I find this depressing simply because shows like the Simpsons and South Park are successful keeping the characters from aging while having us not notice as much. Ash from the few episodes I've seen of the most recent season is as bright as a box of rocks compared to the veteran who beat the battle frontier, won the orange islands, and made the semi-finals of major tournaments.

What are your opinions on the matter? Would you agree this is Ash's weakest team in all the shows history?

Last edited:

Janovy

Banned

Dreamcast

All I needed to hear.

This topic isn't even worth it.

I've actually seen about 20 of this seasons episodes. What I meant was I haven't seen the entire season up to date. I think a strong argument can be made this is the weakest rendition of Ash's team to date.

Last edited by a moderator:

Janovy

Banned
I've actually seen about 20 of this seasons episodes through sidereel.com. What I meant was I haven't seen the entire season up to date. I think a strong argument can be made this is the weakest rendition of Ash's team to date.
Oh, you've seen only 20 episodes of BW?

Let me hear your argument.

Lucario Fan

Only three of the Pokemon he caught in Unova are unevolved. The rest of his Unova team has evolved at least once.

Dreamcast

Oh, you've seen only 20 episodes of BW?

Let me hear your argument.

The composition of his current team includes two unevolved starters, an unevolved scraggy, a Pignite comparable to a Charmeleon, and two fully evolved pokemon. What makes the team the weakest rendition to this date is not necessarily the unevolved starters since Squirtle and Bulbasaur were on his previous Kanto team. His two fully evolved pokemon currently are jokes when compared to Sceptile, Infernape, Charizard etc. This is just one one the many reasons why his current team is the weakest he's ever had. If you read my post you'll see I also mention Ash's trainer ability in comparison to previous seasons as well. One of the more laughable incidents is where Ash forgets how to capture pokemon at the begging of the Black/White season. A cringe worthy moment indeed.

Janovy

Banned
The composition of his current team includes two unevolved starters, an unevolved scraggy, a Pignite comparable to a Charmeleon, and two fully evolved pokemon. What makes the team the weakest rendition to this date is not necessarily the unevolved starters since Squirtle and Bulbasaur were on his previous Kanto team. His two fully evolved pokemon currently are jokes when compared to Sceptile, Infernape, Charizard etc. This is just one one the many reasons why his current team is the weakest he's ever had. If you read my post you'll see I also mention Ash's trainer ability in comparison to previous seasons as well. One of the more laughable incidents is where Ash forgets how to capture pokemon at the begging of the Black/White season. A cringe worthy moment indeed.
Alright, unevolved starters mean nothing.

Snivy and Oshawott are one of the stronger (I'd even say strongest) Pokémon in Ash's team with both wielding over powerful moves such as Hydro Pump and Leaf Storm. As a Pokémon fan, you should know that evolution means nothing, as obvious by the countless 'Pikachu VS Raichu - Pikachu loses - Pikachu doesn't wanna evolve - Pikachu beats Raichu' scenarios. Ash's Pignite is very strong and his Krokorok is about to evolve in a mighty Krookodile, he's also quite strong. Leavanny is fully evolved and he already has a Boldore.

Scraggy is a baby Pokémon, who despite being young, has also grown to become a strong battler.

You're saying that this is Ash's weakest team because of two unevolved starters, and yet you forgot that his Bulbasaur and Squirtle also didn't evolve and were considered for very strong.

Dreamcast

Alright, unevolved starters mean nothing.

Snivy and Oshawott are one of the stronger (I'd even say strongest) Pokémon in Ash's team with both wielding over powerful moves such as Hydro Pump and Leaf Storm. As a Pokémon fan, you should know that evolution means nothing, as obvious by the countless 'Pikachu VS Raichu - Pikachu loses - Pikachu doesn't wanna evolve - Pikachu beats Raichu' scenarios. Ash's Pignite is very strong and his Krokorok is about to evolve in a mighty Krookodile, he's also quite strong. Leavanny is fully evolved and he already has a Boldore.

Scraggy is a baby Pokémon, who despite being young, has also grown to become a strong battler.

You're saying that this is Ash's weakest team because of two unevolved starters, and yet you forgot that his Bulbasaur and Squirtle also didn't evolve and were considered for very strong.

I specifically mentioned Bulbasaur and Squirtle. Are you even reading my posts? I said that the two unevolved pokemon weren't the reason he is weak.

Janovy

Banned
I specifically mentioned Bulbasaur and Squirtle. Are you even reading my posts? I said that the two unevolved pokemon weren't the reason he is weak.
Then what is the reason?

The fact that Ash made a silly mistake at the beginning of BW because he was excited? True enough, he isn't like he used to be in DP, but he's a decent trainer and has decent Pokémon which are only growing stronger. I have yet to hear a valid argument from you - where are your solid arguments? His Krookodile will beat the crap out of Dragonite, the dragon who defeated two ice types.

Dreamcast

Then what is the reason?

The fact that Ash made a silly mistake at the beginning of BW because he was excited? True enough, he isn't like he used to be in DP, but he's a decent trainer and has decent Pokémon which are only growing stronger. I have yet to hear a valid argument from you - where are your solid arguments? His Krookodile will beat the crap out of Dragonite, the dragon who defeated two ice types.

No I posted multiple valid arguments. You just want to rage and ignore them instead of having a lighthearted discussion. Ash's fully evolved Pokemon are weaker in comparison to his previous one's which included Sceptile, Infernape, and Charizard. Additionally, Ash is not his former self with regards to experience, accomplishments, and strategy as evident by him having amnesia at the beginning of the season. If that's not enough for you, take a look at Trips team in comparison to Paul or Gary. Clearly he is the weakest rival to date. There is a reason for this. To have a fairly equal opponent in terms of strength. So looking at it from the perspective of Ash's rival this season, we can see another way in which this season has a weaker bunch than ever before.

Last edited:
i wouldnt say its the weakest...i just want oshawott and snivy to evolve at least once each
and to see him train his pokemon more on screen and then im fine with his team
maybe a few more captures would be cool to add to his team.

I agree that his team is his weakest to date in comparison to his other teams that had titans like Charizard, Sceptile, and Infernape; however, that doesn't mean his current team is actually weak by any means. It simply means that his team lacks a true powerhouse and that is only because his team hasn't even finished developing yet. We know nothing of what Krokorok's strength will be once it evolves into Krookodile, but the fact that it is shown beating Iris' Dragonite immediately after evolution already portrays it as a powerhouse. As for the rest of his team, there is still plenty of time for more potential evolutions and development before the league.

staryu_starmie

Gym Leader Jiz
What makes the team the weakest rendition to this date is not necessarily the unevolved starters since Squirtle and Bulbasaur were on his previous Kanto team. His two fully evolved pokemon currently are jokes when compared to Sceptile, Infernape, Charizard etc. This is just one one the many reasons why his current team is the weakest he's ever had. If you read my post you'll see I also mention Ash's trainer ability in comparison to previous seasons as well. One of the more laughable incidents is where Ash forgets how to capture pokemon at the begging of the Black/White season. A cringe worthy moment indeed.

Even though I liked Johto, Oshawott, Snivy, Pignite, Scraggy, Leavanny, Unfezant, Boldore, Palpitoad, Krookodile is a lot better than Heracross, Bayleef, Totodile, Cyndaquil, Noctowl, Phanpy. I know Kanto lot were there too, however, the sheer number of 'mons would make it a bit better than Johto. In Hoenn he had Grovyle, Corphish, Swellow, Torkoal and Glalie, which again, Does seem rather weak (esp when you count torkoal, and glalie was a kind of Deus ex machina, it s only major loss being a destiny bond IIRC), Kanto was pretty bad, again the only saving graces were Muk and Kingler, you can't count Charizard as it didn't obey at the time. Again its also very relatively early in the saga to compare them to Infernape and Sceptile (Infernape was a chimchar as far into DP, and IIRC, Sceptile, which evolved halfway thru battle frontier, then couldn't battle cos it fancied a Meganium kept "pound" all the way to the end of AG, which is an attack which is as bad as Tackle, along with the epic bullet seed and respectable leaf blade) at least snivy started out with 2 very strong grass attacks, standard vine whip, and a new thing for Ash, Attract (granted everyone else got a Pokemon with attract, but at the time of capture, it was nice to see).
Give this Unova team a chance, Turtwig evolved around DP093, I know the league is up and coming...but there is still time for development.

yea its pointless to say this is his weakest team. the seasons far from over

Janovy

Banned

Dreamcast

Well howdy there mr troll...

You'll have to keep reading. I've seen 20 episodes of the current season on sidereel.com. This was brought up earlier which I addressed already. Try again troll.

Also, to the fanboy who keeps raging because I hold a different opinion and don't watch the show religiously, how is me watching 15 more episodes going to make me think Ash's current pokemon are comparable to Sceptile, Charizard, and Infernape? Not only is your argument lazy, it doesn't even make sense since I have knowledge of the shows progress in Japan.

Last edited:

Cutty

Forever now
You'll have to keep reading. I've seen 20 episodes of the current season on sidereel.com. This was brought up earlier which I addressed already. Try again troll.

Also, to the fanboy who keeps raging because I hold a different opinion and don't watch the show religiously, how is me watching 15 more episodes going to make me think Ash's current pokemon are comparable to Sceptile, Charizard, and Infernape? Not only is your argument lazy, it doesn't even make sense since I have knowledge of the shows progress in Japan.

He thinks Ash's current team has been the weakest.
He's not right nor wrong.

As long as Pikachu is around, Ash's team will always be solid if not strong.

Status
Not open for further replies.