• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ash's Under-rated pokemon

Indragon

Back in the USSR

Silver_Seoul

lol I wasn't.

Though it does appear that most people here underrate it.

The reason people underrate it here is because most other overrate it.

"Ash isn't using Charizard! There's no way he'll ever win a League if he doesn't use him!!!!"

Indragon

Back in the USSR
The reason people underrate it here is because most other overrate it.

"Ash isn't using Charizard! There's no way he'll ever win a League if he doesn't use him!!!!"

Admittedly, that's just stupid.

But ironically, the people who underrate it seem to outnumber those who overrate it. Kinda like anti-Light-type speculation people outnumber people who actually want a Light type :p

Silver_Seoul

But ironically, the people who underrate it seem to outnumber those who overrate it. Kinda like anti-Light-type speculation people outnumber people who actually want a Light type :p

For some reason I feel the reason they've never officially given Ash a Ghost type is because people would overrate it the way people do Charizard. "Oh noes, Ash fought a Normal elite four member and lost! He wouldnt have lost if he had -inser Ghost- !!!"

Indragon

Back in the USSR
For some reason I feel the reason they've never officially given Ash a Ghost type is because people would overrate it the way people do Charizard. "Oh noes, Ash fought a Normal elite four member and lost! He wouldnt have lost if he had -inser Ghost- !!!"

Valid point, though I don't think the writers have nearly enough foresight for that :p

And hm..a Normal type E4. Interesting...

Silver_Seoul

Valid point, though I don't think the writers have nearly enough foresight for that :p

And hm..a Normal type E4. Interesting...

Well they are robots...

And yes. It'd be Whitney on steroids.

striker

I AM THAT IS

If the majority of people overated it, dosent that not make it overated technically? By definition, therefore it cant be concidered underated at all, besides...

Its not that good anyway ¬.¬

Indragon

Back in the USSR
If the majority of people overated it, dosent that not make it overated technically? By definition, therefore it cant be concidered underated at all, besides...

Its not that good anyway ¬.¬

What I said was more people seem to underrate than overrate it...

striker

I AM THAT IS
^ But thats just the oposite of what you wrote, and even if you do mean that, you cant possibly believe that right?

Charizard is by far one of (if not the) most overated Pokemon is his party. (Poor Pikachu, he wanted that thrown :( ) There is now noway to see how strong Charizard is, but base it on his past actions and quite frankly it hasnt done well...

Pepsi_Plunge

Dojyaaa~~aan
None underrates Charizard, not wanting him to hog the screentime in every important battle is diferent from saying he is overated.

Cazak

When Wings Fly High
Bulbasaur, Squirtle & Charizard

Charizard is The Best Pokemon ever!
Infernape is just a tiny little whimp compared to that guy

While I agree that Bulbasaur and Squirtle are Ash's most powerful grass and water types, and also Charizard being Ash's most powerful poke'mon, he is still overrated. Come on, there are poke'mon in Ash's team who would put up a fight against Charizard. I'd say that Snorlax strength, Swellow's speed, and a good combination used one after another would put Charizard in trouble.
As for Inferape being a wimp compared to that guy, I'd say no. Even Inferape can make Charizard sweat should his talents be exploited properly. Say Inferape is fast enough to dodge Charizard's attacks, and its fighting, and fire combos could lay damage on Charizard. Imagine the battle with Harrison with Blaziken substituted for Inferape.
I am not saying that Inferape would beat Charizard. Hell Charizard would still win, but I won't write him off as a wimp. It had plenty of wins against powerful opponents. The only thing that bothers me is that Inferape didn't do so well against Flint whereas Pikachu did much better. That would make Pikachu an even greater opponent for Charizard, but with its plot misconfigured by re-booting its power, well........

Indragon

Back in the USSR
^ But thats just the oposite of what you wrote, and even if you do mean that, you cant possibly believe that right?

No, that's exactly what I wrote, if you read carefully enough, and yes, that's what it seems to be =P

Charizard is by far one of (if not the) most overated Pokemon is his party. (Poor Pikachu, he wanted that thrown :( ) There is now noway to see how strong Charizard is, but base it on his past actions and quite frankly it hasnt done well...

Well, I'd say its done well enough.

Yamato-san

I own the 5th gen
Squirtle - It may have sucked in Kanto. Getting one-hit KOed by a Fire Spin (seriously, WTH?) But after the Orange Islands saga, it began growing it a major powerhouse. Defeating an ELECTRIC type Electabuzz owned by a Gym Leader, defeating another Electabuzz owned by a trainer who managed to earn at least 8 badges and still have the power to polish off her final pokemon. Doing better than it's overrated companion in the battle against Brandom "FOR NO LOGICAL REESON I BELIEVE BRANDONS DUScLOPS > HIS NINJASK!!!" And it did just as well against Drake's Dragonite as Charizard did.

while people think it is the weakest of his Kanto trio (which doesn't seem far-off), everyone will still try and claim that it's Satoshi's most powerful Water-type to date just for being part of said trio. Of course, for those who know me, I could go on and on about how the trio's not as hot as everyone makes them out to be, and I really wish the writers could've just boxed them just like all of his other Pokemon rather than leave for "training" at some far-fetched valley reserved exclusively for a single species of Pokemon, fire-fighting, or keeping the other reserves at Okido's from fighting. It's this damn "training" that leaves so many people to believe that they're getting even more uber by the second (as if stopping a scuffle between members of the Nazonokusa line, which is hardly portrayed as powerful in the anime and that are likely under-leveled and owned by some rookie trainers... they'd have to be if a single Solar Beam's enough to startle them... is some miracle work-out), while every other Pokemon he has is just being left to rot (even though, unlike in the games, Pokemon in storage are actually free-roaming and thus could still be training themselves constantly, which likely explains where the hell Cotoise's Heat Wave and other attacks suddenly appeared from).

Quilava - It actually got a ton of wins in Johto. It was never in a gym battle which it didn't get at least one win and it was used in more than half of the Johto gyms. It even defeated a Water type. I actually agree with Hack on this one, Quilava is among Ash's strongest pokemon. Tying against a Rock type fossil pokemon is pretty impressive too. It had a disadvantage and fossil pokemon are treated like pseudo-legendaries in the anime for some reason.

[cough]Omnite and Omstar at the Ruins of Alph[cough] Not to put down Magmarashi's achievements, but I really don't think fossils have been portrayed as uber (maybe Ptera). They've just been portrayed as ridiculously rare, and this is mostly because the writers were idiots and never adapted the games' Jurassic Parking of genetic remnants all the way until the 3rd generation, and even then, they couldn't bother worth a damn to show them under the control of a Trainer, just like any other Pokemon, until the 4th gen (ironically, we've even seen Jindai in possession of the Regis, whom as you all probably know are legendaries, prior to this). Sadly, we still have yet to see a proper portrayal of Anopth, Lilira, and Yuradle in the anime up to this point because of that (but somehow, past the grouped debut of every fossil in gen 1 which put most emphasis on Kabutops and Ptera, we managed to have episodes about Kabuto and the Omnite line even long before fossil necromancy was acknowledged XP).

Totodile - Maybe I'm being a bit hasty. Totodile may not have many wins, but it did defeat Harrison's Sneasle. Regardless of how he did it, he did indeed do it. I'm not going to say Totodile's a powerhouse or anything close to it, but maybe it's not as terrible as I thought. Guess we'll see against Takuto. Still, I'll be disappointed if it doesn't prove itself in this League. Not good at all, but not as bad as I thought either.

don't forget about its epic win against a Kingdra, which nicely showed how both its biting and dancing habits can come in handy at times.

Corphish - Ash's water types always seemed to be underrated simply because they're not evolved. True it's only starring role was against a gym leader that it had a type advatage against, but Gym Leaders have shown that they're capable of overcoming disadvantages. It's gathered a list of wins and losses, and while none of those wins were against a "signature" pokemon they still count. Gym Leaders, Frontier Brains, and trainers in the League aren't carrying any slouches around on their teams. Aside from Whitney, their "signature" pokemon aren't levels upon levels higher than that signature pokemon.

I think one of its crowning moments, aside from both occasions where he did surprisingly well as a drunken fighter XD (against Kaede's Golduck and Lira's Foodin, for reference), was when he managed to wipe out half of Masamune's team all by itself. To be fair, Masamune was lost in thought when Heigani curb-stomped Kirinriki and Guardie, but the shrimp still surprised us by having enough vigor to tie with his Laglarge even after Masamune regained his confidence (and prior to that, I recall many people assuming Laglarge would be his powerhouse for that battle, especially since, being a fully-evolved starter from the Houen region, it's also assumed that it's his first Pokemon).

Last edited:

striker

I AM THAT IS
No, that's exactly what I wrote, if you read carefully enough, and yes, that's what it seems to be =P

Well, I'd say its done well enough.

Fair enough, my mistake..

Pokemon is a "what have you done for me lately" kind of thing. And if we look back to Charizard battles it seems that he hasnt done so well. He beat the pokemon he had the TYPE advantage against even if it's the anime, it still plays a part in the story, but then lost when (we can assume he got stronger concidering the time skip?) he faced a pokemon of neutral typing to him. And not in a close fight. So since his last battle against Blaziken, he hasnt done so well at all.

When it comes down to it, unless your gonna fall it that "needed a fall guy" which if you do, im going to scream >.<, its clear, Charizard isnt as strong as he is made out to be.

munchlaxboy

Catching up on XY
The Gary battle was I all needed to see that Charizard was a beast.

The Drake battle was I all needed to see that Pikachu was a beast.

Dude, it took 2 shadow ball and colliding with shuckle and it's down. It didn't seem like it had a chance. That's really bad writing and down played Donphan. Donphan can still be the fall guy, but at least show that it did something or can take on a few more hits.

Ash's charizard was a different story. It took quite a beating before it gone down.

You mean Shadow Punches? Again, Ash called Donphan before it could really do anything to Shuckle. Ash knew that he needed to do more than just attack straight on. If he wanted Donphan to keep on going he could've and let Donphan get the win but it'd tire it out so Ash decided to recall it for later. Because it obviously didn't faint when it got hit by Gyro Ball and there have been plenty of times when pokemon get taken down but they get right back up and win. But Ash just recalled it instead. Also remember that Noctowl had difficulty going up against Shuckle, they wanted Gible to be the star here and made it so that Ash needed Gible and its biting in order to get a win.

Same goes for Dusknoir, Noctowl couldn't do a thing either despite its psychic attacks. And again, Donphan couldn't get recalled because of Mean Look, and with that, it got defeated before Ash could return it and let it rest. Obviously, Donphan and Noctowl had to lose so that Gible could get that last pokemon face off with Dusknoir.

The writers needed to make sure Shuckle and Dusknoir looked tough because they're Gible's only two major battles in the entire Sinnoh region. With all its training with DM, it needed the spotlight and this is how they did it. I mean it's not what everyone probably wanted but it's what they chose to do to redeem Noctowl and Gible. I would've loved to see Donphan get a few hits in but the writers just so happen made it convenient for it not to. Doesn't mean it can't deal those hits because past battles show we know it can. Besides, I'm sure there were worse losses than Donphan's in terms for fall guys and plot power. This isn't anything new.

Anyway, I agree with Yamato-san about the water pokemon on Ash's team. Squirtle's fire fighting training shouldn't differ from what Ash's pokemon do at Oak's. I don't see why that's a reason people use to justify being it so powerful. And tbh, Squirtle seems to be portrayed as the lesser starter between the Kanto trio. Charizard's evolved and in the Brandon battle, Bulbasaur was given the opportunity to take down 2 pokemon while Squirtle only had Ninjask. I like Squirtle and all but it has been a tad bit overrated by some people.

And thank you for listing some of Corphish's accomplishments, some people tend to overlook them and they don't recognize that Corphish actually has an awesome record.

Totodile is also pretty underrated. There was a win/loss record thread awhile back and it actually revealed that Totodile was in a ton of battles and it happened to won a lot of them. They were mostly just small/minor battles but the fact that it has been used that much shows that at least got some battle time no matter how small the battle. Sure it hasn't shown to be the Squirtle/Corphish type of battler but it has had its shining moments as said with Sneasel and Kingdra. And I'm sure that it's likely it'd have another shining moment with the Sinnoh league and hopefully that redeems Totodile and makes him seen as a strong water type for Ash.

Indragon

Back in the USSR
Pokemon is a "what have you done for me lately" kind of thing. And if we look back to Charizard battles it seems that he hasnt done so well. He beat the pokemon he had the TYPE advantage against even if it's the anime, it still plays a part in the story, but then lost when (we can assume he got stronger concidering the time skip?) he faced a pokemon of neutral typing to him. And not in a close fight. So since his last battle against Blaziken, he hasnt done so well at all.

When it comes down to it, unless your gonna fall it that "needed a fall guy" which if you do, im going to scream >.<, its clear, Charizard isnt as strong as he is made out to be.

Well, if you want to disregard everything except for one battle, where his loss wasn't entirely his fault, and it was needed for the plot (as much as you deny it, it was), and ignore the battles he's done well in, and the fact that he's been getting stronger throughout DP, then please go ahead - since I won't be able to convince you :S