1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Ask a Question Thread 3.0!

Discussion in 'Older Gen RMT' started by Reno, Feb 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seraph8x

seraph8x Catastrophe

I disagree with strict adherence to OU/UU/Uber standards. Sure, I can see how some pokemon are a bit over the top (Darkrai with an 80% hit chance sleep?) but seriously. What's the point? They're all valid choices. There is something to be said for choosing all OU pokemon with no thought to strategy, but that's part o the game- If it's a pokemon that is in the game, I think it's fair play. As an issue of courtesy, I limit myself to one legendary per team, usually a wall Giratina. I do think there's a lack of honor to picking all of the guys with cheap strategies, but again, that's part of the idea.

Point being, if I choose to, I will still battle standards with my garchomp. I caught it, I leveled it, I EV'd it. If you want it dead, Icebeam it.

2. alright, lets say everyone gets an "uber" in your terms, guess who the next big pokemon will be ARCEUS!!!!, and then everyone would carry insane sweeping sets for their own arceus and the rest of their team would be based around defeating the enemies arceus, and the only real team building you would need to do is to figure out how to counter as many arceus sets as they can, so as not to get PWND by him. and the metagame would grow stale faster than those arceus' extremespeed, and soon nerds (myself included) everywhere would become depressed become emo and goth and such, blood would flow in the gutters and people would say 'lord, what have we done to deserve such a fate' and everyone would blame that person who said it was OK to use ubers. YOU.

Edit: also i'm pretty sure ^ is not a question. -_-

Last edited: Feb 28, 2009
  3. randomspot555

randomspot555 Well-Known Member

TLDR: You're probably looking for In-Game.

In a competitive environment, it's designed to minimalize luck and maxmize strategy. Pokemon such as Darkrai, Wobbuffet, Kyogre, etc... can't be prepped for. Back when Chomp was sitll in OU, I had a team builder (not from here) go through a team he made step by step. He said you basically need 2-3 "counters" for Garchomp.

Three choices were made based on taking down Garchomp.

THREE.

Now, if you're just playing with your friends and just doing it for the lolz, or you're playing in some tournament that is likely running on some type of gimmick, then that's fine. I do it from time to time too, nothing wrong with it.Whatever.

But in a competitive sense, those Pokemon such as Chomp, Kyogre, and Mewtwo are so overcentralizing that no amount of strategy can help. They can easily turn a game around just by themselves.

4. SelenaluvsDylan22

SelenaluvsDylan22 Goodbye Rebellion

I think the Evs are applied automatically in DPP i think you are thinking of RSE

5. elitefive5

elitefive5 StrategyRules

to soft reset for the fossils do i sr when they get revived or before i get them? that is are their ivs and natures set as soon as i dig them up, so i cant revive them and sr for good ivs?

6. randomspot555

It's really not worth the trouble. You're probably better off breeding. The only Pokemon really worth soft re-setting for are event Pokemon, legends, and starters (if you're determined to start with good IVs/nature/shiny).

7. piman34

piman34 All-around n00b

@jrc from awhile back sorry I just got home, but I do understand that the more damage is better, but it seems to me like a better idea to have better accuracy on a suicide lead like aerodactyl, because if he's going to die in a couple hits, it seems better to do 75 bp 90% of the time than 100 bp 80% as to get some damage in before it dies more regularly. I realize the pp and flinch rate are negligible in this argument, so i'm sorry for trying to comment on those, i guess the real issue is I have horrible luck with stone edge hitting =/

8. randomspot555

You're thinking about it wrong then. The point of Aerodactly as a starter is Stealth Rock. Everything else is secondary.

If he shuts down a set up with Taunt, or gets a KO (or any damage) at all, great.

But it's primary goal is Stealth Rock. Anything after that is just a bonus.

9. piman34

piman34 All-around n00b

including damage? so if he does none, it's good as long as he sets up SR, but if he has the chance to do bonus damage, SE would work better cuz it has a 'chance' to do more?

10. randomspot555

It doesn't have a chance, it WILL do more.

The problem with both Stone Edge and Rock Slide is they're both somewhat inaccurate, but Stone Edge/Earthquake is the best combination that will cover the most.

It basically comes down to this:

Would you like the damage to KO someone (Stone Edge; more powerful AND higher critical rate) or to do damage without the KO (Rock Slide; more likely to hit, but less likely to KO, thus meaning Aerodactyl is likely to get hit).

11. piman34

piman34 All-around n00b

okay I think I understand now that even though the attacks are secondary to setting up hazard, the power outweighs the accuracy for this guy. does that rule apply for all pokes? cuz I see the debate from say fireblast vs flamethrower come up alot

12. randomspot555

You're starting to get it.

With fragile Pokes such as Aerodactyl, Electivire, and Infernape, they need to dish out all the damage they can get. A lower power attack coming from these guys just means your opponent will survive to KO you. It's better to go for broke.

Tht's why Aero is seen with Stone Edge, Vire with Cross Chop, and Ape with Fire Blast.

13. The Thrashmeister

The Thrashmeister <-- Made of awesome.

Will a Substitute/Belly Drum/Salac Berry combo work on a Charizard with 31 HP IVs/0 HP EVs? I read that if it has 31 HP EVs, its HP will be too high, so using both Belly Drum/Substitute won't activate Salac Berry. Is this true?

14. randomspot555

This is exactly true. It also won't work at auto-level 50 battles, since 30 and 31 IVs are treated as the same and will round up.

The alternative, at least according to smogon, is to Belly Drum then use Double Edge, which'll put you into Salac range.

15. The Thrashmeister

The Thrashmeister <-- Made of awesome.

Uggh damn.

Would there be anyway to offset that by, I don't know, adding HP EVs or something?

16. darklite

darklite Member

Will my opponent's serene grace boost my air slash flinch rate to 60% or is it opponent only?

17. Awesome A

Awesome A The Gameshark

What's a good set for a Trick Specs Rotom-H if I want it to hit fairly hard before the trick? And if I want it to fend off Infernapes? If that's possible.... or, if necessary, scrap the Specs idea and do something like Sleep Talk if you want. I just need a set...

18. JRCxyz

JRCxyz Hi

For the Specs Rotom H use:

Rotom H @ Choice Specs
    Modest / Timid
    100 HP/ 252 Sp.A/ 156 Spe Or 64 HP/ 252 Sp.A/ 196 Spe
    - Shadow Ball
    - Hidden Power Fighting
    - Overheat
    - Trick / Thunderbolt

The first spread is to be used with Modest and outspeeds Jolly max-Spe Tyranitar and the second spread is to be used with Timid and outspeeds neutral max-Spe Lucario. Both spreads were made by Blue Ace.

19. Awesome A

Awesome A The Gameshark

Thanks JRC. Is Rotom-H a good Nape Counter? And is there a Choice Scarf variant to outspeed/kill nape? or is that not possible

20. elitefive5

elitefive5 StrategyRules

@ randomspot555
    that didnt answer the question.
    wat im trying to do is get an aerodactyl with perfect attack ivs and one with perfect speed ivs and breed them.
    i just watn to know if i can go to the guy who revives fossils and sr until i get one of the aforementioned aerodactyls

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.