• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ask a Question Thread 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mario_fan

Kawaiibunkle
i need more help is a modest azelf good and if it is what would be a good ev and move set for it please reply fast because i need to know

randomspot555

i need more help is a modest azelf good and if it is what would be a good ev and move set for it please reply fast because i need to know

Lots of "[nature]Pokemon name" can be good. You should expand on what role you're trying to fill on your team, then the suggestions will have a lot more substance.

FireHead Hank

Matt Fanboy
Whats a good EV plot for this Launturn?
;171; @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
EV's: ???
-Stockpile
-Confuse Ray
-Thunder Wave
-Thunder

Lanturn has crappy defense and should focus on SpD, so a Calm nature is prefered. It doesnt take physical hits very well. Seeing your set being a "Parafusion" one, this EV set is suggested: 40 HP / 136 SpA / 252 SpD / 80 Spe (You COULD put the suggested SpD EVs into defense instead if you dont want to change the nature but it would be a shame though, Lanturn really shouldnt try to take physical hits). Lanturn already has nice HP, so you can invest most of the EVs in its SpD stat. Definetly ditch Stockpile for Surf, defense boost attacks arent really useful unless they boost an attack stat aswell( e.g. Bulk Up, Calm Mind).

zapper22001

Join BLD
On a lead Weavile, which would be the better option, Pursuit or Night Slash?

If you are using the antilead Weavile with Counter then Pursuit is illegal. So you have to go with Night Slash

calum

Banned
Originally Posted by IceEgg
Whats a good EV plot for this Launturn?
@ Leftovers
Bold Nature
EV's: ???
-Stockpile
-Ice Beam-Thunder Wave
-Thunderbolt

If you are using stockpile the best EVs would be to make each defensive stat as even as possible

Blue Ace

Pokemon is Dead
I'm sorry but I would disagree and prefer pursuit. Especially when someone leads with a gengar or psychic type. They would most likely switch out.

Lead Weavile do not use Choice Band, this is lead Weavile:

Weavile @ Focus Sash
Jolly (+Spe -SpA)
4 HP/ 252 Atk/ 252 Spe
- Fake Out
- Taunt
- Ice Shard
- Counter/ Night Slash

Pursuit works best if you are using it with Choice Band, it doesn't work as well without it, since it lacks too much power, and in this case it doesn't work. Though to be honest, Counter is more useful than Night Slash, as then you can potentially take out Metagross leads with it.

Fake Out is to negate pokes Focus Sashes, Taunt is to prevent slower pokes from setting up Stealth Rock or using Baton Pass etc, Ice Shard is for Aerodactyl and Ninjask and Counter for things like Scizor, Machamp and Metagross.

Awesome A

The Gameshark
I need some serious help with a ScarfMence:

Salamence @Choice Scarf
Jolly // Intimidate
252 Atk/110 HP/146 Spe
~Earthquake
~Thunder Fang/Stone Edge
~Outrage/Draco Meteor/Fire Blast/Anything else?
~Outrage/Draco Meteor/Fire Blast/Anything else?

As you can see, I'm conflicted on the moveset.

First off, why I'm using this thing: I decided I like SpecsLatias a whole ton, but I hated how it's speed only got it so far (lost to Starmie, speed ties with Gengar, etc..) and how it's physical defense was only so-so. Enter ScarfMence. He makes a much better physical hit-taker than Latias, shares the same awesome typing, and has better offensive stats at a sacrifice of only a little Spe and some SpD (well, a lot of SpD). It's designed to be a great switch-in to a whole bunch of different sweepers. This thing takes on Infernape, Gyarados, Heatran, and other dragons to some extent. It can revenge kill a bunch more too, like T-tar and those psychic types and junk. Now's a good time to explain the EV's: Max attack is important since I'm using a Scarf, and I need all the power I can get. 146 Spe lets me beat all +1 neutral base 100's, so Adamant Mence and friends are taken down. The extra 110 goes in HP for bulk in case they attack as I switch in. This is where the problem starts: I think making this a mixed attacker could work out, and in that case, I'd use Naive: 146 Spe/110 Atk/252 SpA or the same but with the attacking EV's switched. I also wan to retain coverage, so I'm conflicted. I also would like to know if there are any other additional sweepers I could add a move to beat, ex. T-fang to beat Gyarados. Thoughts? I plan to use this primarily as a check/revenge killer, but also as a tempo grabber, given its speed, coverage, and ability to force things out. Any help? I really need some advice on what moves fit givin Salamence's good movepool.

EDIT: I never got an answer about this Blissey, so I'm c/ping this from 2 pages ago

What's a good move on this Blissey? It's desigened to beat all the tactics used to defeat it. I don't have EV's yet, but you can expect them to be generically good for special walking.

Blissey @leftovers
Calm
~wish
~protect
~counter
~???

Basic wish bliss with counter thrown in. Wish over softboiled for team support. Protect for scouting against pursuit users and things that like to explode on Bliss (gengar, heatran). Protect/Counter is a cool combo that lets me beat my usual counters like t-tar. Lets say it switches in on any attack. I protect the first turn; if it used pursuit, I stay in and wish or counter if I think it's in KO range. If it uses a high power STAB move or Superpower, I counter if I know I can survive it, killing off the T-tar, or switch out if I want to stay healthy. I don't know if I'm supposed to use Calm with Counter, or if a non-attack minus nature would be more appropriate. Or maybe Bold? And I need a final move. I'm thinking toxic, but then my only way of dealing with heatran is hopng he explodes on me. That rules out Flamethrower too, but Scizor and Metagross should be dealt with adequately by protect/counter. Am I overlooking something or will this slightly gimmicky blissey work out? Thanks. Oh and I wrote this from my I-phone so the auto correct might have glitched some of the pokemon jargon. And since I can't really see my whole post at once because of the small screen, it might be poorly written/not make sense cuz I'm too lazy to scroll and edit. Thanks!

Last edited:

Rad3n

Banned
Counterbliss wants Max Defence and Softboiled, possibly with Charm. The instant recovery is more valued, and allows you more support options. Wish support is great, but T-Wave is more valuable. Aromatherapy+Charm+Counter is illegal however.

Not that it really matters...

Awesome A

The Gameshark
Oh sorry I forgot to edit in the EV spread for Blissey I came up with later:

252 Def/216 SpD/20 HP/20 SpA

252 def off the bat, 216 SpD for the jump point, and with the leftovers I went for a leftovers # (lol) and put the final 20 in SpA, for... SpA?

Thanks Rad3n. So right now my potential moves are Counter/Protect/Softboiled/Charm? If I go with this, I'm going to put the extra SpA EV's in SpD. I feel like I need some sort of attack, but that set could be a stalling beast. I like charm bliss and I like counter bliss but I never though of combining them.... is that stupid or does it have the potential to be a huge switch-forcing mega wall? Or do I really need an attack?

FireHead Hank

Matt Fanboy
I need some serious help with a ScarfMence:

Salamence @Choice Scarf
Naive // Intimidate
252 Atk/112 SpA/146 Spe
~Earthquake
~Thunder Fang
~Outrage
~Fire Blast/Hydro Pump

As you can see, I'm conflicted on the moveset.

First off, why I'm using this thing: I decided I like SpecsLatias a whole ton, but I hated how it's speed only got it so far (lost to Starmie, speed ties with Gengar, etc..) and how it's physical defense was only so-so. Enter ScarfMence. He makes a much better physical hit-taker than Latias, shares the same awesome typing, and has better offensive stats at a sacrifice of only a little Spe and some SpD (well, a lot of SpD). It's designed to be a great switch-in to a whole bunch of different sweepers. This thing takes on Infernape, Gyarados, Heatran, and other dragons to some extent. It can revenge kill a bunch more too, like T-tar and those psychic types and junk. Now's a good time to explain the EV's: Max attack is important since I'm using a Scarf, and I need all the power I can get. 146 Spe lets me beat all +1 neutral base 100's, so Adamant Mence and friends are taken down. The extra 110 goes in HP for bulk in case they attack as I switch in. This is where the problem starts: I think making this a mixed attacker could work out, and in that case, I'd use Naive: 146 Spe/110 Atk/252 SpA or the same but with the attacking EV's switched. I also wan to retain coverage, so I'm conflicted. I also would like to know if there are any other additional sweepers I could add a move to beat, ex. T-fang to beat Gyarados. Thoughts? I plan to use this primarily as a check/revenge killer, but also as a tempo grabber, given its speed, coverage, and ability to force things out. Any help? I really need some advice on what moves fit givin Salamence's good movepool.

Firstly, the nature. Usually it is recommended to boost the attack stat to the max when using the Choice Scarf Set, which means having a +Att Nature as well. In the long run, the drop in attack in favor of a +speed Nature wont pay off. But as you stated you want to outspeed things like oposing Adamant Mences, I see what you did there. Personally I prefer Adamant or Naughty though.

No to the EVs. When using Salamence, you should either focus on its offensive abilities or on its defensive side, which you did(first max out attack, then put EVs in Speed and SpA & the rest in HP). I guess your speed EVs are pretty much set with the whole +Spe Nature, so I wont comment on them. If you want to use a mixed set(which you should), give it the max of Attack EVs nevertheless. It would be shame if you'd waste Salamence's attack stat even further. The rest should go in SpA. So this is my recommended EV set for a mixed Scarf set, taking your Speed EVs into account: 252 Att / 112 SpA / 146.

The Moveset. Though Thunder Fang nor Stone Edge is recommended by Smogon on a Scarf set, you could use Thunder Fang, as you seem to want your Salamence to have something better than Outrage against Gyara. The 3rd slot should be Outrage, as it is awesome for late game sweeps. The last attack would be either Fire Blast or Hydro Pump, depending on what you want it to cover. The smogon set has both special attacks but no Thunder Fang/Stone Edge.

I hope a helped a bit.

Thanks for the response to my earlier question. :)

I've finished EV training my DD Tar (Only a Level 38 Pupitar at the moment mind ;) ) with the usual 252 Attack, 252 Speed, 4 HP. But is there any suggestions on what type of team he's best used in, as i'm completley new to competetive battling. Thanks :)

P.S. Could someone tell me what makes a good lead? thanks again :)

Reno

so adorable...
P.S. Could someone tell me what makes a good lead? thanks again

Stealth Rock, the ability to stop the opponent using Stealth Rock, bulkiness possibly, Speed possibly, ability to beat the top ten most used leads, power.

FireHead Hank

Matt Fanboy
Thanks for the response to my earlier question. :)

I've finished EV training my DD Tar (Only a Level 38 Pupitar at the moment mind ;) ) with the usual 252 Attack, 252 Speed, 4 HP. But is there any suggestions on what type of team he's best used in, as i'm completley new to competetive battling. Thanks :)

P.S. Could someone tell me what makes a good lead? thanks again :)

He's of course a must on a sandstorm team but a Pokemon has lots of different uses and can fulfill lots of different roles on a team. Try to build a team yourself and then get the oppinion and help of others after posting it in a RMT thread.

Since your new to competitive battling, you should read this. It seems very complex and difficult at the begining but if you are interested you should read some of the articles.

There are different types of leads which fulfill different roles, e.g. set up Stealth Rock/Toxic Spikes/Weather condition, put the opponent to sleep, give you an advantage and so on. There are fast fragile leads but there are also bulky leads or so called "anti-leads". Go through the different set suggestions on smogon and you'll find some. Gengar, Infernape, Roserade, Yanmega are examples of rather common leads.

Awesome A

The Gameshark
Thanks for the help, Hank. It wasn't the greatest post ever, though...

You are very wrong about the nature. I want to outspeed things that have boosted their speed (DD Mence, Gyarados) so mine is preferable. Smogon is generally awful with Choice Scarf. For example, ScarfTran, which is designed to revenge kill Salamence, is outsped and 1HKO'd by Earthquake. I really don't need to know what nature they used, nor how they made their set.

On the EV's: Im making it a mixmence, and in the alternate spread I originally suggested I said I might switch the attack investments. I've done some calcs, the Atk is much more helpful, so they are switched. It is now: 252 Atk/146 Spe/110 SpA

The moveset will be:

~Earth Quake/Hydro Pump
~Stone Edge
~Fire Blast
~Outrage

I don't really care that Smogon doesn't recommend Stone Edge. It lets me counter Zapdos and Gyarados better, and Draco Meteor forces me to switch, which is unoptimal considering my SR weakness. Earthquake and Hydro Pump is a tough choice. Hydro Pump makes me much harder to counter while still killing Infernape and Heatran, the only things I really need EQ for, but Hydro Pump has that miss chance, which can spell doom against those all-out Napes that carry HP: Ice. Heatran is also a known HP: Ice carrier, and if Hydro Pump misses against Hippowdon or Gliscor I can expect a swift Ice Fang to fell me. Hydro Pump only 2HKO's Heatran, too. But EQ means I have to flee at the sight of Hippowdon, which sucks because the combo of SR, SS, and residuals is going to wear my Mence down fast. Any help on this final choice or any other changes regarding my OP? My second Blissey quest. still needs an answer.

Oh and is the Special Attack investment worthwhile on Salamence? I can't find any places where it makes a 2HKO into a 1HKO or the same with 3HKO's, besides Celebi. Is she important enough, or should I grab some HP? Or are there any cases I'm forgetting?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.