1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Ask a Question Thread 4.0!

Discussion in 'Older Gen RMT' started by Reno, Jul 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darkfall

Darkfall Abuses SHIFT + ENTER

It'd still help to know what nature it has, and also what EV's?

Honestly though it really depends, if you wanna use CHOICE items then Dragon Dance is a no-no, and then it's up to you.

Not certain on Scarfmence, can't say I've ever seen one, so someone else could help you more there, but for BandMence, I like to run:

Earthquake
    Dragon Claw/Outrage
    Fire Blast
    Stone Edge/Aqua Tail.

I know standard can ave both Dragon moves but honestly, I much prefer type coverage. Hey ho, that's just me.

For a SPECSmence, the standard one's moves are fine. Instead of Hydro Pump, maybe you could find a HP? It's not preferable, in fact it's not a good idea at all, but if you're adamant about not breeding then it might be the way to go.

In all honesty, you really should figure out if you wanna go special/physical/mixed first, and see what areas your team lacks. I prefer MixMence because mixed sweepers are powerful things, but if your team is mostly special based, then BandMence is the way to go.

However it depends on it's EVs. If it doesn't have the speed, DD or Scarf should be your way forwards.

2. GolemGuy

GolemGuy Better Than Thou

Is it a good strategy to send out a glass cannon at the beginning of the game before anything else, kill until you die, THEN send out a real lead and go through a game normally?

3. OMG_its_Dunsparce!!

OMG_its_Dunsparce!! New Member

Team help

I'm making my first competitive team in a long time. i desperately need help with it. i have a big battle sunday...and im still missing 2 pokes. My team is very defensive based, since that is my main style of play. this is how it goes so far:

Umbreon-252 Hp, 252 SpD @ impish
    baton pass
    curse
    payback
    wish

Shuckle<3 lol-252 Def, 252 Hp @ impish
    toxic
    rest
    sandstorm
    protect

This pokemon is my first problem:
    Tangrowth-it would make a great addition to my team, but i cant decide what set to run it with and how to EV it. My ideas are as follows:
    P wall/P sweeper
    power whip
    earthquake
    rockslide
    swords dance

seems good....but most of my pokes are already physical

or:
    sp sweepwe/P wall
    Energy ball/giga drain/leaf storm
    leech seed
    sleep powder
    ....and idk about the last move

Flygon 252 speed and atk @ adament
    fire punch
    outrage
    earthquake
    U-turn

Dusknoir- I NEED EV SUGGESTIONS!!!
    will-o-wisp
    pain split
    shadow punch
    curse/confuse ray

and that leaves me with 1 spot....i realized that my team has no water types....so i figured that would b a good type to balance out and fill this spot. its between slowking and kingdra. i have a moveset for slowking, who would fit my "bulky team" better:
    psychic
    surf
    slackoff
    nasty plot

but i have no idea about kingdra.

Im looking for good insight on everything, especially tangrowth and my last slot, but feel free to add any other suggestions. im not changing the team i already have....i dont have time. im also open to alternate dusknoir movesets. so please help...cause i need answers quick!

4. Black Murder Heavangelon

Black Murder Heavangelon Ow! Ow! Harder! Ow!

Reposted from the last page. Can I get some replies for this?

5. Polar Rodders

Polar Rodders Professional Sweep

I'm currently resetting for timid Lugia.
    I've just found one with the IV's (approx) 26/5/21/10/31/25

I'll be using a physical wall set. Here it is if helpful,

Lugia @ Leftovers
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    EVs: 252 HP / 64 Def / 192 Spd
    - Reflect
    - Roost
    - Whirlwind / Ice Beam
    - Ice Beam / Toxic

The HP/Speed IV's is good, Attack I don't care about, SP Def is good, Defense isnt too bad, but Sp Atk isnt too great...

Do you think I should keep resetting for better IV's?

6. theforgottensoldier

theforgottensoldier divide and conquer!

I am in the process of creating an NU(never used) team for an upcoming tournament and I can't decide on on which would be the best water/ground type for my team. I really want to make the right choice, so between Whiscash, Gastrodon, and Quagsire which one is the best option for NU play?

7. palingensia

palingensia amends

You may want to reset as the SpA IV could be a tad better. Check if it still OHKOs Garchomp/Rayquaza with Ice Beam; if so it's probably fine.
    If you want a defensive Water/Ground, use Quagsire. If you want an offensive one, use Whiscash.

8. Final

Final I Submit to No One

The Special Attack IV could be better but its still quite useable. Garchomp isn't OHKOed by Ice Beam even with a perfect Special Attack IV and the same applies to Rayquaza. With Stealth Rock down, Garchomp is still only 2HKOed but while a max Special Attack IV Lugia will always OHKO Rayquaza with Ice Beam, your's won't have a guaranteed OHKO so you'll need to be wary of that. Also, with the EV spread, you should run 252 HP / 40 Def / 216 Spe so you can outrun Jolly Garchomp as the spread you've got is designed to outrun Jolly Garchomp assuming a 31 Speed IV. Also, run Whirlwind in the third spot and Ice Beam over Toxic.

9. Psynergy

Psynergy Strong Winds Staff Member Super Mod

i'm trying to finish up my rain dance team, but i'm stuck on the final spot. what would fill this team?
    electrode(support lead)
    kabutops(rain dance sweeper)
    kingdra(mixed rain dancer)
    scizor(phyical sweeper)
    roserade(special sweeper)

Last edited: Apr 15, 2010
  10. calze6

calze6 Reclaiming da ladder

Give lugia SAtk EVs if you really wan't to OHKO garchomp and quaza.

11. jirachis_best_friend

jirachis_best_friend Aura Hunter

Try Ludicolo. It's UU, but it's abilities make for a great RD sweeper, or support. Like, a Leech seed rain dancer set, y'know? Something like that. Check Smogon for a good Dancer moveset.

12. Psynergy

Psynergy Strong Winds Staff Member Super Mod

seems good enough for me. i don't care much if it's UU. as long as it's not NU, and ludicolo is pretty good. i'll use it.

13. jirachis_best_friend

Yes, but don't forget to defend it well, it's SpD is ok, but not so much DEF. Maybe you can do a SubSeeder, with Rain Dish and Leftovers, unless you want a sweeper, in that case use Swift Swim and get a Hidden Power that will take care of it's weaknesses, maybe Rock to take care of Flying- and Bug-Types. For a sweeper, make it special and do 252SpA/4HP/252SPE. The SubSeeder set can work in OU as well. Try:

Ludicolo @ Leftovers
    232 HP / 216 SpD / 60 Spe
    Substitute
    Leech Seed
    Surf/Grass Knot/Energy Ball (You're choice, a good STAB move should go here.)
    Protect/Toxic

Unless you'll use it as a main dancer, don't waste a slot on Rain Dance. If so, replace the Leftovers with a Damp Rock. And a Calm Nature will make the best of the 100 base Special Defense it has.

14. jirachis_best_friend

Yes, but don't forget to defend it well, it's SpD is ok, but not so much DEF. Maybe you can do a SubSeeder, with Rain Dish and Leftovers, unless you want a sweeper, in that case use Swift Swim and get a Hidden Power that will take care of it's weaknesses, maybe Rock to take care of Flying- and Bug-Types. For a sweeper, make it special and do 252SpA/4HP/252SPE. The SubSeeder set can work in OU as well. Try:

Ludicolo @ Leftovers
    232 HP / 216 SpD / 60 Spe
    Substitute
    Leech Seed
    Surf/Grass Knot/Energy Ball (You're choice, a good STAB move should go here.)
    Protect/Toxic

Unless you'll use it as a main dancer, don't waste a slot on Rain Dance. If so, replace the Leftovers with a Damp Rock. And a Calm Nature will make the best of the 100 base Special Defense it has.

15. jirachis_best_friend

Ooops. Double post, my bad ^^;; Uhh... oops. sorry

16. Darkfall

Darkfall Abuses SHIFT + ENTER

I'd love to help but I'm not really certain with EVs. I've been out of the loop for a while. Does Iron Ball's priority modifier change in TR?

To delete a post, just click "EDIT" on the second post and click "DELETE", same for the one I'm quoting here, as apologising for a double post means you triple posted X3

It's a neverending road of posts and infractions =D

17. Black Murder Heavangelon

Black Murder Heavangelon Ow! Ow! Harder! Ow!

Iron Ball severely lowers the Speed stat, like Paralysis. Similar items like Lagging Tail ignore the speed stat and make you go last.

Although I feel I will definitely go for Lum Berry.

18. Desert Sun

Desert Sun Gross, Agiligross

Preparing to EV train a CBScizor. Need help selecting the one that works the best.

Relaxed Scyther
    IV's (HP, Atk, Def, SAtk, SDef, Spd)
    29-31
    26-30
    5-9
    26-30
    5-13
    Technician
    The leading contender due to Technician and awesome Attack+Defensive IV's.

Sassy Scyther
    IV's
    27-31
    8-13
    24-28
    24-28
    29-31
    Swarm
    Likely out of contention despite outstanding (160 to 162) IV's if it had Technician it would be no contest (btw would someone mind posting a defensive Scizor set that makes the best use of these IV's)

Adamant Scyther
    IV's
    27-30
    24-27
    11-14
    28-31
    15-19
    Swarm
    Second contender. Despite the lack of Technician the Adamant nature and slightly better Iv's than the Relaxed Scyther makes it very attractive.

So yeah, I need some help deciding which one to use. They all have great selling points but all have something to take away from them. So any opinions are appreciated.

19. Bulldogs

Bulldogs Banned

The first one is the only one worth training. It's bad stats are fairly useless anyway and it has Technician which is needed to make Scizor what it is in the current metagame.

20. Greenmousa

Greenmousa New Member

Hi guys! Im new to the forums here and to competitive pokémon too!!

I've been playing pokémon since my childhood but i recently became interested in taking it to a new level.

So first off i have some questions for you guys.

1º When you post EVs builds, you just plan them in a team simulator and try it them and then you make it happen in game?? Or you just re-train the EVs in you pokémon games?? ( o_O!)

2º Would you please recommend a guideline or a good thread or something to build my first team?? You know how choose the correct team members, cover all the team needs and stuff like that??

3º This is the place to ask this kind of stuff?? :B

Thanks a lot in advance guys!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.