• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ask a Question Thread 4.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eaglehawk

Banned
My shoddy battle system is old and everything as it all grey and plain. I've seen picts of 1.7. I'm not sure if mine is new. I have windows. Do I have to delete shoddy to update? Would my teams disappear?

You might as well delete Shoddy and reinstall. Your teams will not disappear whatsoever, since they are saved as a different file.

fschulze47

Mighty Marvo
I've made a rain dance team on shoddy and it's performing beautifully, but I have trouble with stall. What can I do to help with stall without ruining the fast paced style of offensive rain?

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
a horrible idea keeps coming to my mind, and i can't decide if i should go through with it. i caught a modest absol with a perfect IV in special attack(see what i mean by bad idea?), and i want know if i should even consider a special absol for UU. it's there, so it always could be a nice surprise, but... should i try it or just throw the idea away?

hobby

No to mention the fact that 75 Base Special Attack is pretty horrible and even in UU there are much better options for a Special Sweeper.

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
exactly what i thought. i only considered it because i battled a special one before, but all it did was ice beam on my salamence. i thought, "i may raise it special for fun, but it wouldn't battle." on second thought, maybe not.

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
yeah, i used it for my scarfed typhlosion's sp. attack. i guess it's not so useless after all, then.

Made this team to try and get into competitive battling again. Haven't done it for ages so I'm a little bit lost with the metagame. I'm not sure if I'm allowed ot post my whole team here to ask for some advice on swapping some thing out and adding a final member so I put it in spoiler tags.

I want to keep this primarily in the R/B/G/S era. I'm not the biggest fan of a lot of the new pokemon. Don't mind battling them, but I would prefer to not use them. Obviously I'm not using that era movesets...

A lot of the movesets are REALLY generic, I'm just trying to flesh out an idea at the moment. This team is pretty much about Curselax. Skarmory is totally stock standard and does the usual job. Sets up stealth rock etc.

And Snorlax's set is pretty predictable too, he's designed to be my late game sweeper.

Dragonite is a sweeper too. Blissey fills the role of stalling and annoyign the heck out of opponents. Gengar is on their too as I had a lot of fun using him ages ago, but I'm not really too sure. I loved having him on my team, but I'm a bit stuck as to what to do with the rest of this really.

Aerodactyl @ Focus Sash
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly
~ Stealth Rock
~ Taunt
~ Earthquake
~ Rock Slide

Snorlax @ Leftovers
204 HP/52 Atk/252 Def
Careful
~ Curse
~ Return
~ Rest
~ Crunch

Dragonite @ Choice Band
252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant
~ Outrage
~ Waterfall
~ Fire Punch
~ ExtremeSpeed

Gengar @ Life Orb
4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid
~Substitute
~Hypnosis
~Shadow Ball
~Focus Blast

Blissey @ Leftovers
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold
~ Wish
~ Protect
~ Seismic Toss
~ Toxic

hobby

You are probably better off finding a 6th Pokemon, filling in some descriptions to make it easier for the raters, and see where it goes from there. This thread is more for some basic clarification questions.

Right, well, in a way I still did get some basic clarification. :p I just didn't want to get in trouble for posting a team that wasn't really up to scratch yet as a thread to be rated. I'm still working out a LOT of kinks and learning about this whole competitive battling thing.

hobby

As long as you have a basic plan of how it will work, you can get it rated, though obviously it will be better if you have tested it out first, let's you know whether the team is viable or not.

NamuSkull

Pampering Vaporeon..
So what can you do with a Calm natured Vaporeon?

So far I have one that knows Surf, Toxic, Protect, and Substitute. She's not EV trained yet. She carries leftovers.
What would be a better moveset? Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Bold is generally better but I guess you can go for standard Vappy with SpD instead.

Vaporeon @Leftovers
Water Absorb | Calm | 252 HP/252 Def/4 SpD or 252 HP/4 Def/252 SpD
~ Wish
~ Protect
~ Surf
~ Hidden Power Electric/Toxic

Profesco

gone gently
I've got an Adamant Kangaskhan here, and we're at a crossroads over what would be a more useful EV spread. You see, I'm not sure whether I want to put Substitute on her, whether it would be to absorb things like Seismic Toss or just to help possibly block status from the Ghost types I'll be trying to defeat with her.

Without Sub, I'm not worried about the HP stat being 404. With just status-blocking Sub, I'm still not worried about the HP stat being 404. But with Seismic Toss-absorbing Sub, it's got to be 404.

Since I'm maxing Attack, and she's Adamant, the most Speed I cared about was enough to beat max neutral-natured base 80s. That, however, leaves too little too reach 404 HP. If I run just enough HP EVs to hit 404, then the highest I can get her Speed is 225 (with an IV of 29).

My question is: is a bigger Substitute worth sacrificing the Speed, or is beating neutral 80s and other Pokemon hanging around that mark going to be the more handy route?

hobby

A lot of the time that will come down to personal preference, but in UU (I assume that is where this is for), beating out base Speed 80 Pokemon is a big advantage. That said, it can't actually get past many offensive base Speed 80s without a Jolly nature (Venusaur, the most common base Speed 80 in the tier will always be running a speed boosting nature unless it is a defensive set, in which case the speed will be negligible).

With this in mind, it may seem a little clearer, but if an offensive set is what you are after, then Speed is not something that you should be looking over unless it is absolutely necessary, so in the end it may be easier to pick a point that you can reach with the Speed you have (even if that is outrunning neutral base 80s) and then placing the rest in HP, most of the Pokemon that run Seismic Toss in UU will not stay in on a Kangaskhan anyway (Blissey and Registeel are the two biggest users of Seismic Toss and both are usually geared to taking special attacks and will not particularly like take an attack from Kangaskhan, espeically if you are running a Fighting move).

So, each has it's merits, but in the end it comes down to what you really want to do with it. If you want it to sweep, go with the speed, it will be more helpful in the long run, if you want to take a slower approach to things, invest in the HP, but know it is generally unneeded.

I think outrunning base 80s would be crucial, since that means you can absorb Sleep Powders from Venusaur while you Sub in their face. And yeah as hobby points out, really only Clefable, Chansey and Registeel use SToss in UU, so if you're SubPunching they'll never stay in. I say go with the speed. It might also pay to tie with Modest Moltres.

that cheddar guy

D.F.W.M.I.P.F.
im not reading through 75 pages of this if its in here but can anyone tell me why salamence is a suspect on smogon's website?

Status
Not open for further replies.