• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ask a Question Thread 4.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Profesco

gone gently
A lot of the time that will come down to personal preference, but in UU (I assume that is where this is for), beating out base Speed 80 Pokemon is a big advantage. That said, it can't actually get past many offensive base Speed 80s without a Jolly nature (Venusaur, the most common base Speed 80 in the tier will always be running a speed boosting nature unless it is a defensive set, in which case the speed will be negligible).

With this in mind, it may seem a little clearer, but if an offensive set is what you are after, then Speed is not something that you should be looking over unless it is absolutely necessary, so in the end it may be easier to pick a point that you can reach with the Speed you have (even if that is outrunning neutral base 80s) and then placing the rest in HP, most of the Pokemon that run Seismic Toss in UU will not stay in on a Kangaskhan anyway (Blissey and Registeel are the two biggest users of Seismic Toss and both are usually geared to taking special attacks and will not particularly like take an attack from Kangaskhan, espeically if you are running a Fighting move).

So, each has it's merits, but in the end it comes down to what you really want to do with it. If you want it to sweep, go with the speed, it will be more helpful in the long run, if you want to take a slower approach to things, invest in the HP, but know it is generally unneeded.

I think outrunning base 80s would be crucial, since that means you can absorb Sleep Powders from Venusaur while you Sub in their face. And yeah as hobby points out, really only Clefable, Chansey and Registeel use SToss in UU, so if you're SubPunching they'll never stay in. I say go with the speed. It might also pay to tie with Modest Moltres.

Alright, thanks, you two.

This thought only occured to me after I'd already EVed Kangaskhan in Speed and HP, anyway, so to go back and increase the HP would have been a bit of a pain. Yes, I was thinking of how important the bulkiness of a Sub is when Focus Punching, too. But it's good to know that nothing with SToss is going to be a big threat, so thanks for that too.

And it is a shame that it's not Jolly, but I caught it myself after a few hours in the Great Marsh, and didn't want to waste its good IVs. Since it's only going to have wifi opponents, though, maybe it'll have an easier time outpacing things than it would in the predictably statistical world of Shoddy.

...Or, I don't know. Do you guys think it would really be a better idea to try to catch/breed a Jolly one so it can beat offensive base 80s? =s

I appreciate the advice. ^_^

Last edited:
It really would be quite good to outspeed base 80s in UU since it's such a common speed, but if you go with a bulky Adamant Kangaskhan you should be fine.

Corroded Arceus

Shiny Hunter
Hey, can someone help me devise the best EV spread for my 3 Crown Beasts? I plan to keep all the moves they came with.

IVs:

Raikou: 31 / 4 / 30 / 19 / 19 / 30
Suicune: 0 - 2 / 14 / 7 / 2 / 1 / 16
Entei: 1 / 12 / 8 / 0 / 29 / 11

Thankyou :)

I'm looking for a good lead to support a Raikou/Suicune duo with SR. Both will be setting up CM to sweep. Gengar and Scizor are looking at supporting them at the moment. Was thinking maybe Aerodactyl, what do you guys think?

Well the four of those seem to have nice synergy so you can really use almost any lead really. A phazer might be nice, so Swampert is an option. Another Dragon resist is never bad, so Metagross could work. Aerodactyl is an option but I don't feel preventing SR from going up is essential atm since none of your Pokemon are SR weak or anything. You may want to use Roserade just for the fact it's more Blissey insurance.

Kitto

Ace Trainer
Quick question about L50 competitive play.

Say I EV train up a Heatran that I caught at level 50. Does the L50 competitive play take into account my EV training, or because at level 50 Heatran had no EVs it doesn't?

Is it the same, for example, a Palkia caught at L70?

theforgottensoldier

divide and conquer!
I'm trying to build a UU team with an Ambipom that know nasty plot and baton pass as my lead. I was wondering which other pokemon in UU would benefit the most from nasty plot being baton passed so I could add them to my team.

Falco Master

Ruler Of Tyranitar
When in the battle tower and you get a 100 streak in the doubles do you get the star for your trainer card or can you only get that from the singles battles? I need to know this because I have a (so far) unbeaten doubles team.

Magcargo96

I love this avvy
My question is: Does somebody knows a good lead to use in the Battle Tower?
I searched Smogon, but can't decide wich one to use...
My Battle Tower team is currently: Heatran and Heracross.
Thanks in advance!

I'm trying to build a UU team with an Ambipom that know nasty plot and baton pass as my lead. I was wondering which other pokemon in UU would benefit the most from nasty plot being baton passed so I could add them to my team.
There are craploads really. Any special attacker which can't set up itself loves a Nasty Plot. Examples could be Milotic, Moltres, Ludicolo, Nidoking, Rotom, or Sceptile.
When in the battle tower and you get a 100 streak in the doubles do you get the star for your trainer card or can you only get that from the singles battles? I need to know this because I have a (so far) unbeaten doubles team.
My question is: Does somebody knows a good lead to use in the Battle Tower?
I searched Smogon, but can't decide wich one to use...
My Battle Tower team is currently: Heatran and Heracross.
Thanks in advance!
Go to Ingame RMT.

DarkGanon

I've got a question about EV training: If you EV train a Kirlia, for example, in the Speed stat, you infect it with Pokerus, and you give it the Power Item. How much EV points will it gain after defeating a Raticate?, Which gives 2 EV points in Speed. Pokerus doubles the amount of points earned, and power item gives 4 extra points. So will it reaceive 12 EV points (2, Raticate + 4, Power item x 2, Pokerus = 12). OR it will receive 8 EV points (2, Raticate x 2, Pokerus + 4 Power Item = 8).

So how will it be? How many points will it receive?

Larry

Ok so I really want to use an Alakazam with Counter and I got one in a trade a while back and I want to know if its good enough for competitive battling: I'm not sure what the EV's and IV's are.

Alakazam @ ????
Timid
Hit Points: 243
Atk: 98
Def: 124
Sp. Atk: 369
Sp. Def: 177
Speed: 371

Psychic
Shadow Ball
Counter
Calm Mind

I've got a question about EV training: If you EV train a Kirlia, for example, in the Speed stat, you infect it with Pokerus, and you give it the Power Item. How much EV points will it gain after defeating a Raticate?, Which gives 2 EV points in Speed. Pokerus doubles the amount of points earned, and power item gives 4 extra points. So will it reaceive 12 EV points (2, Raticate + 4, Power item x 2, Pokerus = 12). OR it will receive 8 EV points (2, Raticate x 2, Pokerus + 4 Power Item = 8).

So how will it be? How many points will it receive?
I suspect 12.
Ok so I really want to use an Alakazam with Counter and I got one in a trade a while back and I want to know if its good enough for competitive battling: I'm not sure what the EV's and IV's are.

Alakazam @ ????
Timid
Hit Points: 243
Atk: 98
Def: 124
Sp. Atk: 369
Sp. Def: 177
Speed: 371

Psychic
Shadow Ball
Counter
Calm Mind
Counter Alakazam is really only useful as a lead, with the following set generally used:

Alakazam @Focus Sash
Synchronize | Timid | 4 HP/252 SpA/252 Spe
~ Psychic
~ Counter
~ Taunt/Encore
~ Signal Beam

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
ok, i have a question about rotom formes. if i use rotom in a wi-fi club battle, will it stay as whatever forme i chose, or will it return to normal forme?

Vereist

Amateur Breeder
I have a hasty Rapidash that I want to use because it has HP Grass. It also has the ability of flash fire.

The move-set I want to run is:

Fire Blast, Megahorn, will-o-wisp, and HP Grass.

Probably with the EV's set up for smogon's definition of a MixDash.
So 4 attack / 252 spa / 252 spe.

Opinions/Suggestions? They would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I'm not that great with the metagame terminology. So please be a little patient with me, please.
third times the charm with this question. I think I have the right place now. /sigh

A +SpA nature would be so much better since 80 base SpA isn't fantastic by any means, but otherwise the set looks fine. You could run Toxic in the last slot for Milotic if you're playing UU, as HP Grass will do bugger all to it (ResTalk versions won't be harmed though).

Zenotwapal

have a drink on me
Question

Out of curiosity, I'm wondering if Draco Meteor is viable on any Jirachi set.
I know it won't work on a CM variant, but could it work on say, a choice scarf set?

I can only speak for my own experience, but as much as I've wanted to use it, every time I bring in a Jirachi, the majority of my opponents bring in another steel because, in general, steels wall most Jirachi's pretty well. I have HP Ground 70 on mine which helps some, but still, unfortunately (because I do so very much love to use it :3) DMeteor rarely finds use in my experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.