• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ask a Question Thread - READ FIRST POST

Ragnarok

#BeastMode
Staff member
Super Mod
Ask a question about competitive Pokemon here; be it what Pokemon would fit well on the last slot of my team, what is the best way to counter Lucario, what is the most effective EV spread for my Wacan Berry Gyarados, etc. If you have an actual set for a Pokemon that you want feedback on, use the Comptitive Singles Rate Thread. Don't flame/insult someone if you think it is a silly question. Have fun and ask away!

OK, I'll get this ship sailing.

So now we've got a new metagame with a whole ton of new super powerful attackers, not to mention some Pokemon with Shadow Tag and new boosting moves like Cheer Up and Butterfly Dance. It would seem like stall would be utterly decimated, but this new Pre-Evo Stone will boost the defenses of any NFE Pokemon by 1.5. This makes Chansey more bulky than Blissey, and it makes Porygon 2's bulk comparable to that of Lugia.

My question is: with this new item giving many Pokemon new stalling capabilities, what are some new stallers that you think could prove worthy in this new metagame? This includes any NFE Pokemon with the Pre-Evo Stone or any final form Pokemon.

OK, I'll get this ship sailing.

So now we've got a new metagame with a whole ton of new super powerful attackers, not to mention some Pokemon with Shadow Tag and new boosting moves like Cheer Up and Butterfly Dance. It would seem like stall would be utterly decimated, but this new Pre-Evo Stone will boost the defenses of any NFE Pokemon by 1.5. This makes Chansey more bulky than Blissey, and it makes Porygon 2's bulk comparable to that of Lugia.

My question is: with this new item giving many Pokemon new stalling capabilities, what are some new stallers that you think could prove worthy in this new metagame? Or are there any final form Pokemon that you think would still stall well?
As you've mentioned, Porygon2 and Chansey seem to get massive boosts from this "Pre-Evo Stone". I've also heard that Dusclops might now have an advantage over Dusknoir, and some people may even test out how Scyther (I'm assuming a Baton Passing set) fairs in the metagame. Munchlax especially gets a great boost in Little Cup.

Final form wise, it seems Nuttre (the Grass/Steel type that can cause massive residual damage) is popular on stall teams.

Though a note I feel should be mentioned, while this Pre-Evo Stone is effectively a free Cosmic Power, it does prevent the healing of Leftovers, which means that if a Pokemon doesn't get a healing move (Dusclops, and I think Munchlax?), it likely won't be as good as people think it will be.

I suppose I should ask a question... Has a Speed Tier list been made yet? I wouldn't think so, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

fschulze47

Mighty Marvo
Will the mechanic of viewable teams be on the next battle simulator?

Have the mechanics for EV spreads, such as jump points, changed in the generation shift?

I suppose I should ask a question... Has a Speed Tier list been made yet? I wouldn't think so, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3012042

This thread has a link to one.

Will the mechanic of viewable teams be on the next battle simulator?

Have the mechanics for EV spreads, such as jump points, changed in the generation shift?

Most likely since every form of battle you can have against someone bar IR battles allow you to see the opponents team. The simulators follow the game as closely as possible. If they decide to follow IR battles then everything has to be at lv 50 from now on which is game changing in its own way. EV mechanics and such haven't changed as far as I know.

Is there a 5th gen simulator out yet? I've heard Pokemon Online has one, but I can't find it.

fschulze47

Mighty Marvo
Is there a 5th gen simulator out yet? I've heard Pokemon Online has one, but I can't find it.

No, not presently I don't think. Smogon's PokeLab only has 4th generation data, but they plan on implementing 5th gen shortly.

Plusle.

Plusle!

aipomkong

prophecy fulfilled
Ok here's a question.

Why are people posting RMT threads with Pokemon that use Dream World abilities, when Dream World isn't even up and running, isn't available, and everyone is unsure to the availability of any Pokemon.

Seeing as Pokemon are going to be released into the DW by Nintendo you can pretty much assume that very few Pokemon will be made available by this method in the first place.

Basically the point is, if people are posting team with DW abilities they are either;

- Hacking
- Not able to play test their team due to no simulator

Which begs the question why post a team for a rate if it fits either of those two critereas.

Also before someone says something like, 'oh it's for when a simulator/DW pokemon come out' that just implies you are using theorymon to build your team, and as a cause of this any rates you get are going to be extremely based on theorymon, making them highly unreliable.

Ok here's a question.

Why are people posting RMT threads with Pokemon that use Dream World abilities, when Dream World isn't even up and running, isn't available, and everyone is unsure to the availability of any Pokemon.

Seeing as Pokemon are going to be released into the DW by Nintendo you can pretty much assume that very few Pokemon will be made available by this method in the first place.

Basically the point is, if people are posting team with DW abilities they are either;

- Hacking

Which begs the question why post a team for a rate if it fits either of those two critereas.

Also before someone says something like, 'oh it's for when a simulator/DW pokemon come out' that just implies you are using theorymon to build your team, and as a cause of this any rates you get are going to be extremely based on theroymon, making them highly unreliable.

Considering how few people have the game to begin with most teams are built of theorymon alone. Attacking or questioning speculation is pointless considering that is the only thing people can do until the game is released in their country. Yes, I'm aware that you can import it, but its a fact that most people don't import it. You say that its safe to assume few of these pokes will be released to begin with, but you really have no proof to back that up. I imagine Nintendo/Gamefreak will likely release multiple DW pokes at a time or release them at a frequent rate otherwise they wouldn't have gone through the trouble of creating these abilities. Maybe you are right though, but your guess is as good as mine.

BaldWombat

Mortal Wombat!
Ok here's a question.

- Hacking

Also before someone says something like, 'oh it's for when a simulator/DW pokemon come out' that just implies you are using theorymon to build your team, and as a cause of this any rates you get are going to be extremely based on theorymon, making them highly unreliable.

Until we actually get some information about how the Dream World works, the system goes live on Oct 6 I believe, it is perfectly fine to talk about and discuss these abilities. When we can finally understand what is actually available and what the overall plan is we will make a ruling about Dream World abilities.

Smeargle's dittolock

Just commenting about imprison above. Reason it fails is because your opponents ahve to know at least 1 of the moves the user does for imprison to be set up, if it does, then the imprison effect is on the user. Otherwise, it fails. If the users moves change (IE, transform) then so does the imprisoned moves.

And yes, since the imprison effect is on the user, if the opponent switches pokes that also know a move the user knows, that is still blocked.

Found this via searching, but I want a confirmation here.

Smeargle
Imprison
Transform
?????
?????

Will this combo lock down all of the opponent's moves? If so, will this work on any pokemon switches as well?

I'm assuming it doesn't work because I haven't heard of anyone doing it yet.

Much thanks.

Found this via searching, but I want a confirmation here.

Smeargle
Imprison
Transform
?????
?????

Will this combo lock down all of the opponent's moves? If so, will this work on any pokemon switches as well?

I'm assuming it doesn't work because I haven't heard of anyone doing it yet.

Much thanks.

It really doesn't seem to gamebreaking as if someone switches in something faster than Smeargle then its going to take it out before it can Transform. If Smeargle is faster and blocks the opponents moves then all they have to do is switch out and since they know all the moves of their own pokemon it won't be hard to predict around. Its definately gimmicky though it won't accomplish much aside from forcing a few unneccesary switches.

Mean Look -> U-turn -> Imprison -> Transform

This is the only (remotely) viable way to pull this off.

If Imprison fails (I haven't tested the move so I have no idea how it works) when Smeargle shares no moves with the opponent, the entire idea fails (unless there is some move that I don't know about which changes to match an opponent's move?).

As you say, Smeargle isn't very fast and isn't very healthy.. so I'm sure this idea is shot. I'm still striving to break Smeargle somehow... other than the old spore/endeavor crap.

Is there a reliable 5th gen battle server simulator?

I think I've heard that Pokemon Online has some 5th Generation stuff up, but there's still a lot of bugs that they're trying to work out of the program. But Smogon's new Pokemon Lab should have some 5th Generation updates before too long.

xLilith

Genesis
It's not really up yet, well, at least it the update isn't official. There was a download before but it turned out that it might be a logic bomb, so everyone who was informed uninstalled it.

Plusle.

Plusle!
There was 5th gen beta testing but it just finished.