• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ask a Question Thread - READ FIRST POST

BaldWombat

Mortal Wombat!
What makes PL so much better than Shoddy? Because it looks like you need a smogon account to sign in, and i need a reason to make one.

PL is Shoddy2, although most people are using Pokemon Online as they actually have a running alpha server for 5th gen. That and a lot of people like the interface better.

By naming Shoddy 2 Pokemon Lab they cleverly shy away from the fact that Shoddy 2 is basically Shoddy 1 with some slight aesthetic changes. Its virtually the same thing.

It doesn't even have 5th gen Pokemon..

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
I have three questions about posting our own CRMT's.

1. Can we post a team that we are planning to use once the game is out in English & are either unable to find, or don't have the time to find, a simulator?

2. Can we be able to post our reserves, or pokemon that will temporarily be on our team with everything that is acceptable & a reason why we removed them, too?

3. Can we put a brief introduction before talking about each team member one at a time time to give viewers more explanation? For example: Say something like "I'm not a fan of HM slaves . . . . " or something like that

1. Can we post a team that we are planning to use once the game is out in English & are either unable to find, or don't have the time to find, a simulator?

2. Can we be able to post our reserves, or pokemon that will temporarily be on our team with everything that is acceptable & a reason why we removed them, too?

3. Can we put a brief introduction before talking about each team member one at a time time to give viewers more explanation? For example: Say something like "I'm not a fan of HM slaves . . . . " or something like that

The first two I say yes as long as you post a minimum of 6 Pokemon, and make it clear what 6 are on your "main" team.

The third one is actually required. HM moves barring Surf are not viable in competitive play of course..

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
HMs suck. as for EVs.. in the 4th gen "guides" section theres a guide to EVs. Also you can look on Smogon for examples.

What's that mean? Also, how do you figure out the EVs?

It pretty much means that most HM moves do not have the power, accuracy, or effects to make them worthwhile for competitive battles. Besides Surf, which is a strong and reliable Water move, these HMs are usually outclassed by other moves.

And this link will give you a good explanation of EVs and how they work.
http://www.serebii.net/games/evs.shtml

Edit: Ninja'd. Dang.

BaldWombat

Mortal Wombat!

You can post a team for competitive play here but not a team for in-game.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
You can post a team for competitive play here but not a team for in-game.

Uh, in-game? So I take it that means I can't post, or thread, a team until I get a game right?

Uh, in-game? So I take it that means I can't post, or thread, a team until I get a game right?

It means that if you are going to post a team, then it needs to be one that is going to be for competitive battles against other experienced trainers. In Game just refers to the fact that a team is only made to defeat the Elite Four, a battle against a friend, or something like that. Competitive teams are tailored to certain strategies for battling people all over the world, and are in general much more advanced. Whether you have a game or not doesn't really matter, as you can just try out teams on online servers before you ever get the game (and who's going to prove whether or not you have the game?).

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
It means that if you are going to post a team, then it needs to be one that is going to be for competitive battles against other experienced trainers. In Game just refers to the fact that a team is only made to defeat the Elite Four, a battle against a friend, or something like that. Competitive teams are tailored to certain strategies for battling people all over the world, and are in general much more advanced.

No, the six main members would be my competitive team absolutely. I just wanted to add my reserves in case I wanted to switch with one of the pokemon on my competitive team for some reason

GameMaster0000

Chaos Nightmare
Anyone can help me that what this guy should be
http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/604.shtml

EV
- 252 HP, 252 ATK, 4 Def -> huge move pool on physical attack, also it has atk stat better but only good STAB move is wildbolt. A recoil is not good for tanker.
- 252 HP, 252 SATK, 4 Def -> I can use thunder bolt here to avoid recoil of wildbolt but he has poor satk move pool.
- 252 HP, 128 Def, 128 Sdef -> Super tank is here also I can use both atk and satk. but will low on attack power.
- 252 HP, 128 ATK, 128 Sdef -> Use setup with coil move that can rise defence and attack, but again wildbolt recoil.

Which on is best?

And other one

Sasandora(DarkDragon) @ Life Orb/Choice Scarf
Modest
XXX Atk/ XXX Satk/252 Spe
Draco Meteor
Crunch
Fire Blast
Earth Quake

What should I spread EV on atk and Satk on him?

Shuckley

I'm kind of new to the whole forum thing, just wondering about the whole competitive battling RMTs and things, are those supposed to be just single battle teams for use online or can they be double/triple battle teams for use in VGCs and such?

FireTheAbsolLord

Bad Username
What would be a could bulky fire type for my singles comptetive team? It's going to be the singles team I always use, but I really don't want to look myself, 'cause I can't find things about bulky fire types on google.

fschulze47

Mighty Marvo
What would be a could bulky fire type for my singles comptetive team? It's going to be the singles team I always use, but I really don't want to look myself, 'cause I can't find things about bulky fire types on google.

O-kay....well "bulky fire type" is somewhat of an oxymoron. They are weak to Rock (Stealth Rock especially) Ground, and Water, all extremely common attacking types. Your best bet is Heatran, but even his bulkiest sets aren't that great.

FireTheAbsolLord

Bad Username
O-kay....well "bulky fire type" is somewhat of an oxymoron. They are weak to Rock (Stealth Rock especially) Ground, and Water, all extremely common attacking types. Your best bet is Heatran, but even his bulkiest sets aren't that great.

Thanks anyway. I'm thinking Marcargo because of its good defenses. I was think about Heatran, but I decided to but Jirachi for a legandary.

Plusle.

Plusle!
Macego is horible. Use heatran

FireTheAbsolLord

Bad Username
Macego is horible. Use heatran

It isn't that awful. I've used them before. One in PKMN collesiem and I have one I normally use for egg hatching but occasionally use for battles. It isn't that bad. It has amazing defence. Okay, well if I use heatran what do I replace Jirachi with? I don't care what it is, just give me a good reason to use. I'll figure out my own moveset.

Does anyone know when the POTW Collaboration will actually begin? I'm kinda looking forward to seeing all the contributions to the project, maybe even helping a little myself.

Edit: BTW, I want to be the first to post for Blaziken! :p

Does anyone know when the POTW Collaboration will actually begin? I'm kinda looking forward to seeing all the contributions to the project, maybe even helping a little myself.

I second this question, I can definately produce some sets and analysises for people to look over if need be as well. 4th gen POTW is getting a bit outdated.