• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ask a Question Thread - READ FIRST POST

I have two questions:
1) Say that it's raining in a Double Battle (or any Speed-boosting weather), and the opponent's Kingdra w/Swift Swim (or any Pokemon that get speed boosts from the weather) is out there outspeeding all my Pokemon by a long shot. Getting sick of this Kingdra, I decide to switch out one of my Pokemon (any Pokemon, really) to send in my Ninetails (or any instant weather-inducer that isn't going to keep the weather the same), while having my Infernape (or any Pokemon that is naturally faster than the Pokemon without the weather-speed boost) attack with any non-priority (like Close Combat).
Now Ninetails is out, the weather is sunny, and Infernape and Kingdra are both about to attack. However, the weather turned sunny just a few seconds ago. Who goes first: Infernape or Kingdra? (More accurately, did Kingdra lose her boost the instant the sun came up?)
IIrc, Infernape goes first. Because the rain is no longer there, Kingdra loses it's boost. Unless Politoed swithces in on the same turn, then the weather would change from rain to sun, and then back to rain cos Politoed are typically slower than Ninetales.

2) Let's say that (in another Double Battle), everyone has decided on their moves. The opponent's Accelgor is obviously going to be faster than my Infernape. However, I have my Whimsicott w/Prankster use Cotton Spore on the opponent's Accelgor. Who will go first: Infernape or Accelgor? (More accurately, will Accelgor be affected by the Speed drop immediately, or after the turn has ended?)
Accelgor will go first. The speed drop only come into effect on the next turn, but offense/ defence drops will occur on that same turn.

Comments in bold :)

abrar14

Statter Master
I also have a scizor question>.>

Should i run quick attack on my choice band technician Scizor for pokemon that resist bullet punch?

Zachmac

Which would be better as a wall? Blissey or Ferrothorn? And which item would be better on Ferrothorn- Rocky Helmet or Leftovers?
Leftovers for Ferrothorn. I've tested it myself.

As for a wall, it would really depend on your team. They both do good jobs at what they're supposed to do, but ones more of a mixed wall and one is more special.

Of course, if you choose Blissy, I'd suggest teaming it up with a Skarmory. If you choose Ferrothorn, I'd suggest teaming that up with a Jellicent. If you don't have room for two walls, try Porygon2 I guess, but two walls is generally better.
In the Accelgor vs. Infernape scenario (see my earlier post), how about if Whimsicott used Stun Spore (and it hit)? Would Accelgor still go first if it had just been paralyzed?
Yes. It's the way the mechanics work. The order they attack is determined before the round of the battle starts. It's impossible to change the order once the pokemon start to use their attacks.

Verus_Nox

Online Gyms?

Hey guys, I'm not sure where to post this, so I thought I'd post it here. Does anyone know if there are any online gyms (ie, people from around the world who have formed a group of gyms for anyone to challenge) or is there anyone interested in forming one? PM me if you have details, thanks! :)

Rhys29

Encore
So I'm trying to build a team around Nidoking and I'm wondering what others' thoughts are on teammates. This will be for the OU environment. The set I will be using is the following.

Name: Nidoking
Item: Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Nature: Timid
Evs: 4 HP / 252 Special Attack / 252 Speed
- Earth Power
- Flamethrower/Fire Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam

I'm unsure which Pokemon I should pass to him with. Venomoth is pretty fun and can add status to my team. Gorebyss is a cool candidate, but it doesn't really do anything spectacular other than pass. I could also use Smeargle since he has 100% accuracy sleep. Thoughts?​

Pichu47

Fear Me, If You Dare
So I'm trying to build a team around Nidoking and I'm wondering what others' thoughts are on teammates. This will be for the OU environment. The set I will be using is the following.

- Earth Power
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam

I'm unsure which Pokemon I should pass to him with. Venomoth is pretty fun and can add status to my team. Gorebyss is a cool candidate, but it doesn't really do anything spectacular other than pass. I could also use Smeargle since he has 100% accuracy sleep. Thoughts?​

Set looks good. Use flamethrower, fire blast is overkill and less accuracy. I think you should use gorebyss, since they have relatively good synergy, and gorebyss can be a devastating sweeper with shell smash, hydro pump, ice beam/baton pass

ashsinnoh

- Earth Power
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam

You could also run paralysis support, together with Wish support. Jirachi is perfect candidate here. Venomoth could eventually work as well as Smeargle, but then you need spinner for them to work. I think Starmie could do well here, as a offensive pivot as well as spinner. I could eventuall talk alot here, but if you want me to help you, you can always PM me. Hope I helped a bit. ^^

Serpentine

Pokemon Breeder
Hey I'm trying to think of a EV spread for a Defensive Dusclops

I'm thinking 252 HP, 126 Def, 126 Sp. Def.
You know, since Dusclops has such horrible HP and already amazing Def and Sp.Def. Or should I go with 252 Def, 252 Sp.Def, 4 HP.

Serpentine

Pokemon Breeder

- Earth Power
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam

Go with Flamethrower. It has a higher accuracy and you're losing your burn chance anyways so that doesn't matter.

As for partners. Baton Pass and Quiver Dance with Venomoth. You get SpAtk, SpDef, and Spd. Most of Nidoking's weaknesses are from special attacks. Most water moves, almost all psychic moves, a lot of ice moves, and Earth Power and Mud Slap. Then there's the possibility of using a Masquerain. It's slower and its defenses are only a little better, and it has a x4 weakness to Rock moves, but it has Intimidate which is good.

Then there's Volbeat which has Tail Glow and Baton Pass. Two Tail Glows, then pass, but he's a little fragile.

Gorebyss and Huntail are also good choices since they can baton pass Aqua Ring. They have high defenses, but low speeds and HPs. Other options are Floatzel who has high Speed and low Defenses with I guess an okay HP, or Vaporeon with a really good HP and okayish Defenses with the capability to pass on Acid Armor too.

One more thing you could do is a really long chain of Baton Passing, but it's annoying to do.

You want to give your Nidoking as much Sp. Atk as possible as well as Speed and HP would be useful if you're holding a Life Orb. I think you can Baton Pass Ingrain. Not sure what else. Maybe Substitute would be useful.

As for Double Battle Offensive Partners, I'd have something that covers its weaknesses. Most of yorus are covered by STAB weaknesses, but there are Psychic moves and Normal types so I'd say have something that knows Ghost Moves or Dark Moves, then Fighting moves. Having fighting moves has extra benefits since it covers five types like Ground. There's a lot of overlap though.

Zachmac

Hey I'm trying to think of a EV spread for a Defensive Dusclops

I'm thinking 252 HP, 126 Def, 126 Sp. Def.
You know, since Dusclops has such horrible HP and already amazing Def and Sp.Def. Or should I go with 252 Def, 252 Sp.Def, 4 HP.
HP always improves defensive capabilities more then other stats, unless it's got massive HP and pitiful defenses.

Go for max HP. Definitely.

BTW, if you're using dusklops, it's best to half teammates who know wish and/or heal bell.