• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ask a Question Thread - READ FIRST POST

poyplemcmuffins

Based on my own experience using Rhyperior, I would suggest Leftovers, especially if it has Protect. The recovery can be really useful on him, especially if you can modify his speed somehow (Rock Polish on mine, Trick Room on yours). Chandelure would probably benefit from just a plain old Life Orb the most, especially as it can recover HP through Pain Split.

Thank you so much. I was thinking about putting lefties on rhyperior, but I never would've thought of life orb on chandelure. I totally overlooked that strategy

Rebel562

Odd Teambuilder
Which Hidden Power should my Magcargo carry? Should it go with Hidden Power Rock for a good special secondary Stab (only other option is Ancientpower) or should it carry something else? I was considering HP Grass, as that provides coverage against three of its four weaknesses (including two 4x SE weaknesses).

Rebel562

Odd Teambuilder
Also, could someone either calculate the following or inform me as to how I would calculate this myself:

How much damage would both a 252 Atk Adamant Bisharp's Sucker Punch and a 252 Sp. Atk Modest Hydreigon's Dark Pulse do against the following:

252 Def / 212 Sp. Def Timid Blastoise
252 HP / 252 Defense Bold Walrein
252 HP / 252 Sp. Defense Calm Walrein
128 Def / 128 Sp. Defense Calm Glaceon
252 Def / 4 Sp. Defense Bold Glaceon

Thanks for your troubles!

Icarus©

Full on PASBLer
Can someone help me out? I want to start RNG manipulating my pokemon and I need a RNG reporter and timer that works for 4th gen and is compatible with Macintosh. Please bros! Thanks in advance

You need a PPRNG program for Macs if you want to rng.
Eon timer should work for both Macs and Windows, but im not sure

KillerDraco

Also, could someone either calculate the following or inform me as to how I would calculate this myself:

How much damage would both a 252 Atk Adamant Bisharp's Sucker Punch and a 252 Sp. Atk Modest Hydreigon's Dark Pulse do against the following:

252 Def / 212 Sp. Def Timid Blastoise
Bisharp: 37.12% to 44.15% HP damage
Hydreigon: 37.12% to 44.15% HP damage

252 HP / 252 Defense Bold Walrein
Bisharp: 18.63% to 22.17% HP damage
Hydreigon: 36.08% to 42.69% HP damage

252 HP / 252 Sp. Defense Calm Walrein
Bisharp: 36.08% to 42.69% HP damage
Hydreigon: 25.71% to 30.42% HP damage

128 Def / 128 Sp. Defense Calm Glaceon
Bisharp: 42.44% to 50.18% HP damage
Hydreigon: 43.17% to 50.92% HP damage

252 Def / 4 Sp. Defense Bold Glaceon
Bisharp: 34.69% to 41.33% HP damage
Hydreigon: 53.51% to 63.47% HP damage

LilAxew

How does one know when to invest in HP or Defense/Sp Defense EVs? Or both?
And how do you know how much EVs then to give to each?
I know this depends on each Pokemon, but when you consider a Pokemon, how do you go about figuring this out?

Dragonicwari

Artistically angry
I know this depends on each Pokemon, but when you consider a Pokemon, how do you go about figuring this out?

Generally what I do is find an attack and see if I can live it with X amount of Ev's or try for a 2hko. If there is an important download abuser in the tier you will want to abuse their ability and put Ev's into the def stat that will not boost them (example in uu people put 4 Ev's on Swamperts sp def instead of hp to make P2 download an attack boost.) people also will try to minimize life orb damage, stealth rock damage, or maximize leftovers recovery by adding in certain Ev's to hit X amount of hp points (generally a number just 1 below being divisible by 4 for stealth rocks and life orb iirc, and a number divisible by 16 for leftovers)

There are more in depth reasons but this is the general gist of it

ChaosBlizzard

Crit Happens.
Could Mandibuzz function as a decent wall on an OU Hail team?

Maybe with proper team support. Its stats are higher than I thought they were. However, you would have to really be able to support it. For instance, you would really need some kind of cleric. It is very susceptible to status and has no way of clearing its own status. You'd also obviously need a spinner, as it is weak to SR. Finally, you'd obviously need something to take out Rock-type users; kind of a no-brainer. However, aside from the obvious "don't let Conkeldurr or Terrakion Stone Edge you," I can't think of anything off the top of my head that just straight up destroys it. I'd say it'd be worth trying if you think it would work. However, realize it is in RU for a reason, and at least in my experience, Smogon tends to get the tiering pretty spot on; using lower tier Pokemon in higher tiers tends to not work in practice, at least from what I've tried.

Icarus©

Full on PASBLer
Maybe with proper team support. Its stats are higher than I thought they were. However, you would have to really be able to support it. For instance, you would really need some kind of cleric. It is very susceptible to status and has no way of clearing its own status. You'd also obviously need a spinner, as it is weak to SR. Finally, you'd obviously need something to take out Rock-type users; kind of a no-brainer. However, aside from the obvious "don't let Conkeldurr or Terrakion Stone Edge you," I can't think of anything off the top of my head that just straight up destroys it. I'd say it'd be worth trying if you think it would work. However, realize it is in RU for a reason, and at least in my experience, Smogon tends to get the tiering pretty spot on; using lower tier Pokemon in higher tiers tends to not work in practice, at least from what I've tried.

Adding onto this....
With the multitude of Rain teams out there, you might want to watch out for ice beam and Thunder/Thunderbolt users out there.
And if facing another hail team (unlikely as it is) pokemon that use Blizzard.

Generally, for defensive pokes, it's best to max HP for bulk on both sides. The exceptions are when you need to beat a download user or if something already has so much HP that you get more use out of boosting one defense. HP gives you less total bulk, but a little on both sides. One defense gives you more bulk, but only on that side.

Also, if there's a certain threat you want to live a hit from, run calcs until you figure out how much you need to invest. If not, see the first part of my post.

UUTrainerUU

Just a Fan
Let's say you run into 3 Pokemon that give 1 Speed EV each and KO every one, if you bump into and KO a Pokemon with different EVs, will that restart the process, so the next Pokemon with a Speed EV that you bump into won't give you one boost in Speed? In other words, do you have to defeat the Pokemon in succession in order to get the stat boost you desire, or does the game keep track of your retrieved EVs, and you can gain a boost even if they weren't all in a row?

UUTrainerUU

Just a Fan
How do EVs work? How many can you use altogether for one Pokemon? 255, 510? How many stats can you max out, and if you were to, how much would the stat go up by?

UUTrainerUU

Just a Fan
How do EVs work? How many can you use altogether for one Pokemon? 255, 510? How many stats can you max out, and if you were to, how much would the stat go up by?

KillerDraco

You can find the answers to all of those questions here: http://www.serebii.net/games/evs.shtml

But it's 255 per single stat, 510 total. At level 100, 4 EVs = 1 stat point, so at most, a Pokemon can gain 63 stat points in a single stat via EV training (252/4 = 63, since 255 doesn't go into 4). Two stats can be "maxed" via EVs, albeit technically one if you factor in nature.

UUTrainerUU

Just a Fan
You can find the answers to all of those questions here: http://www.serebii.net/games/evs.shtml

But it's 255 per single stat, 510 total. At level 100, 4 EVs = 1 stat point, so at most, a Pokemon can gain 63 stat points in a single stat via EV training (252/4 = 63, since 255 doesn't go into 4). Two stats can be "maxed" via EVs, albeit technically one if you factor in nature.

Okay, so if you wanted to, you can divide the EVs among the stats, and get 63 for every stat? Would that make 255 the max for 2 stats?

UUTrainerUU

Just a Fan
Thanks, it's much less confusing now.

LuciferHobo

Hello~ :D
Hello ;]
I'm quite new/old in all this... used to just collect Pokes, y'know?(Missing only about Kyogre, Rayquaza, Victini, Keldeo, Meloetta and Genesect)
Now I wanna get into competitive battling... (I'm not even sure if I'm posting this where I should be)
So I want to ask if RNG Pokemon are needed to do well in competitive battling?
So far I've been catching the same Legendaries over and over again until I get decent IVs and nature(thanks to Synchro slaves) and breeding with Power items and an Everstone for awesome bred Pokemon
The best bred Pokemon I got was a 31/31/23/31/31/31 Adamant Gible, which is the closest I got to flawless(flawless is 31 IVs in everything right?)
Legendaries... I just keep catching them until I receive 31 IV in like Attack/Sp Attack and everything else 15+ and a decent Nature(Kyurem took me 3 days :[ )
So yeah I just think... All this effort will go to waste if I need RNG'd Pokemon for competitive battling... I just hope I won't need this...
Number of online battles I've ever done: 0
So still no experience either...
By the way, any tips for someone who's just starting with all this?

KillerDraco

You don't "need" RNG'd Pokemon per se, as they end up exactly the same as Pokemon bred for IVs the old fashioned way. The only difference is the amount of time it takes to get to that end result, and the fact that RNG'ing (after learning it, since it takes a considerable amount of time and effort to actually learn it) can cut down tremendously on the amount of time and variance involved, makes it the more desirable method for many. This is especially true when you need a specific Hidden Power, because trying to breed for Hidden Power without RNG'ing is quite the ordeal.

redcharzard

Semi-competitive
Hello ;]
I'm quite new/old in all this... used to just collect Pokes, y'know?(Missing only about Kyogre, Rayquaza, Victini, Keldeo, Meloetta and Genesect)
Now I wanna get into competitive battling... (I'm not even sure if I'm posting this where I should be)
So I want to ask if RNG Pokemon are needed to do well in competitive battling?
So far I've been catching the same Legendaries over and over again until I get decent IVs and nature(thanks to Synchro slaves) and breeding with Power items and an Everstone for awesome bred Pokemon
The best bred Pokemon I got was a 31/31/23/31/31/31 Adamant Gible, which is the closest I got to flawless(flawless is 31 IVs in everything right?)
L/egendaries... I just keep catching them until I receive 31 IV in like Attack/Sp Attack and everything else 15+ and a decent Nature(Kyurem took me 3 days :[ )
So yeah I just think... All this effort will go to waste if I need RNG'd Pokemon for competitive battling... I just hope I won't need this...
Number of online battles I've ever done: 0
So still no experience either...
By the way, any tips for someone who's just starting with all this?

Okay my friends call me over competitive and the most I get is 2-3 max IVs on each of my pokemon with the best possible nature(only exception being when I got lucky and bred a male timid dw vulpix with 31/7/29/31/31/31 with def being near perfect and attack being a non factor.) Not everyone goes for the perfect pokemon and you can still play competitively without them although your at a slight disadvantage(slight being the key word) unless its for hidden power then that's different(best hidden power was on my Jolteon hidden power ice 70 power) You pokemon are well above my standard so apart from strategy and what you go up against you should be fine.