• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ask a Question Thread - READ FIRST POST

T-Bolt

Electrifying.
If a Pokemon uses pursuit on another Pokemon behind a Substitute that is switching out, will pursuit deal damage to the substitute or the Pokemon itself?

koolaidman594

(>^__^)> <(^__^<)
it would deal damage to the substitute if im not mistaken

Astrint

Breeding Star
I've been thinking about joining official pokemon tournaments in hopes to go to nats and onward(because my 7 year old cousin has shamed this veteran trainer and made it to nats already. yes, I am pouting :{) Anyway, I have tried to find which moves are illegal in the pokemon vgc but I could only find two. one is dark void and the other, I can remember the name of.

I was wondering if someone could link me to a full list of forbidden everything for the pokemon vgc.

redcharzard

Semi-competitive
what would be the most reliable team for incorporating a blissey in it nowadays?
i've just restarted, and am not up to date with any metagame yet..

Depends if Blissey is used for wish support on sites like pokemon showdown or for healing/walling support in actual games. Walling special attacks is what Blissey does best and heal bell/aromatherapy can help out stall teams(It can also help deal with burn and paralysis on offensive teams) that have trouble with toxic and toxic spikes(you need rapid spin support for stopping toxic spikes.) If wish is a factor it can be used on offensive with greater effect. Blissey can also be put on rain teams if they need a cleric(status remover) since it does get thunder, calm mind, and serene grace but that is gimicky.

SilverQuil

FireMohawk of DOOM
I have a couple questions about EV training, which I've decided to take up more as an additional challenge in the game than a "OMG I need perfect Pokemon so I can pwn all teh n00bz!" thing.
First question: Suppose I just hatched a brand-new Level 1 Pokemon that I wanted to EV train. I take it to the first route and pit it against a Level 2 wild Pokemon. My Pokemon wins (possibly with the help of healing items). Because of Gen V's beating-higher-leveled-Pokemon-than-you-gives-more-EXP mechanic, my Pokemon levels up twice. Would it only get the EVs for beating the wild Pokemon on the first level-up, or would it get the same EVs again on both level-ups?
Second question: Suppose I already had a Pokemon that I trained up without really paying much attention to its EVs and IVs, and I want to go back and respec its EVs (which I know would take more effort than just EV training a new Pokemon from scratch, but I guess I'm just silly that way :p ). Is there some way that I could tell exactly what that Pokemon's EVs are so I know exactly what I have to change? I really don't want to end up wasting EV-reducing berries or wasting money doing my Pokemon's Makeup at the Salon in Join Avenue.

koolaidman594

(>^__^)> <(^__^<)
I have a couple questions about EV training, which I've decided to take up more as an additional challenge in the game than a "OMG I need perfect Pokemon so I can pwn all teh n00bz!" thing.
First question: Suppose I just hatched a brand-new Level 1 Pokemon that I wanted to EV train. I take it to the first route and pit it against a Level 2 wild Pokemon. My Pokemon wins (possibly with the help of healing items). Because of Gen V's beating-higher-leveled-Pokemon-than-you-gives-more-EXP mechanic, my Pokemon levels up twice. Would it only get the EVs for beating the wild Pokemon on the first level-up, or would it get the same EVs again on both level-ups?
Second question: Suppose I already had a Pokemon that I trained up without really paying much attention to its EVs and IVs, and I want to go back and respec its EVs (which I know would take more effort than just EV training a new Pokemon from scratch, but I guess I'm just silly that way :p ). Is there some way that I could tell exactly what that Pokemon's EVs are so I know exactly what I have to change? I really don't want to end up wasting EV-reducing berries or wasting money doing my Pokemon's Makeup at the Salon in Join Avenue.
1st:it only gets the evs it would have obtained from that pokemon in battle, so just once.
2nd: if you go to pokecheck.org and follow the steps, you can upload your pokemon and see exactly what evs are on it

Mew The Gato

Metagame is Competitive Battling. While we can play Pokemon against just the AI, we can also battle other players in a variety of ways.
Competitive Battling adds new spirit to Pokemon and also opens up many new possibilities!

noohee

Can I ask some? When I register the competition, I cannot register my pokemon in battle box.....My team didn't have legendary pokemon and didn't have same item but i cannot register.....Please help..(I'm play pkm w2)

varanus_komodoensis

they call me Varanus
There are some Pokemon that are illegal to use in Wifi, such as Chatot (because you can record it saying naughty things) and non-nick-named Confagrigus (because the game thinks it has a bad word in its name). If the game detects an inappropriate nickname - in ANY language - it won't let you use the Pokemon on Wifi. Also, if your Pokemon have been hacked or are holding hacked items, the game can detect this and won't let you register them, and if they have illegal move combinations, the game will not let you use them. Check for one or more of these things.

T-Bolt

Electrifying.
Can I ask some? When I register the competition, I cannot register my pokemon in battle box.....My team didn't have legendary pokemon and didn't have same item but i cannot register.....Please help..(I'm play pkm w2)

If you're using those pokémon for the spring friendly, there might be a pokémon among them that is not allowed in the tournament. All the Pokémon in the new Unova dex are allowed. Here's the list of all the Pokemon allowed in the Spring Friendly.

http://www.serebii.net/black2white2/unovadex.shtml

If you're using a pokemon that isn't on this list, you will not be able to register your battle box.

i don't know if this is the right thread to post but
i want to have a glaceon on my team but i want it to be more defensive. what nature/ev spread/moveset would be good for a defensive glaceon?

ChaosBlizzard

Crit Happens.
i don't know if this is the right thread to post but
i want to have a glaceon on my team but i want it to be more defensive. what nature/ev spread/moveset would be good for a defensive glaceon?

Defensive Glaceon isn't really a thing. It runs a pretty standard Specs set and not a lot else. Because it has Ice Body, you can do a Stallrein type thing with Substitute and Protect, but that's not defensive as much as just stalling. Why is it exactly you want to make Glaceon defensive? It's typing and HP stat should be a pretty big deterrent to that.

If you want it, the stall set would look like this...

Glaceon @ Leftovers
Nature: Modest
Ability: Ice Body
EVs: 208 HP / 44 Def / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
~ Substitute
~ Protect
~ Blizzard
~ Hidden Power Ground / Toxic

This assumes 31 HP IV and Hail support from another member of the team. And btw, yes, this was the right place to post a question like that. :)

i guess i didn't really think it through lol but yeah i was wondering if there was a more stally type of glaceon rather than a sweeping one
but that'll probably work, thanks a ton! :D

Raravian

Ditto Pimp
Lots of questions:

1. What are the difference between competitive battling on a simulator and battling over wi-fi? So far I've only used PS and PO, but I'd like to make a team on the game itself.
2. Do they use tiers on wi-fi?
3. What are the rules?
4. Are there any unspoken rules, or behavior that is generally frowned down upon?
5. How do you know if a team is worth making? With the metagame changing all the time it sounds difficult to make a team that remains good enough.

Ðew™

Definition of insanity
Lots of questions:

1. What are the difference between competitive battling on a simulator and battling over wi-fi? So far I've only used PS and PO, but I'd like to make a team on the game itself.
3. What are the rules?
4. Are there any unspoken rules, or behavior that is generally frowned down upon?
5. How do you know if a team is worth making? With the metagame changing all the time it sounds difficult to make a team that remains good enough.

1. Not really much. Pretty much the bw2 back drops and the unique animation for each attack
2. To my knowledge that's up to the rules you and your opponent agree to. Otherwise, there's the standard nintendo rules
3. smogon's banlist, po's isn't too different/. For nintendo iirc it's just no legendaries and no garchomp and no unreleased dw abilities. (I hope this answered your question...)
4. Being a punk and using teams built to hax because no one likes hax. Same for baton pass if you're unprepared for it, though that's not something that's frowned upon
5. Hard to tell, you pretty much have to keep up with what others say is good in the current meta. Metagame shifts for OU aren't common unless there's a ban or someone comes up with an innovative and dangerous set for a poke. The lower tiers, however, shift whenever a pokemon moves up in tier usage.

Raravian

Ditto Pimp
1. Not really much. Pretty much the bw2 back drops and the unique animation for each attack
2. To my knowledge that's up to the rules you and your opponent agree to. Otherwise, there's the standard nintendo rules
3. smogon's banlist, po's isn't too different/. For nintendo iirc it's just no legendaries and no garchomp and no unreleased dw abilities. (I hope this answered your question...)
4. Being a punk and using teams built to hax because no one likes hax. Same for baton pass if you're unprepared for it, though that's not something that's frowned upon
5. Hard to tell, you pretty much have to keep up with what others say is good in the current meta. Metagame shifts for OU aren't common unless there's a ban or someone comes up with an innovative and dangerous set for a poke. The lower tiers, however, shift whenever a pokemon moves up in tier usage.

2/3. What are / where can I find the standard Nintendo rules/banlists? Doesn't anyone use legendaries on wi-fi? And what are the most commonly used rules battlers usually agree to?

KillerDraco

Lots of questions:

3. What are the rules?

Just to add on to what was already said...

1. There's really no difference aside from the rules used, and the fact that on Simulators you don't have to use your own Pokemon, which is preferable for some since breeding for IVs is a pain.
2. No, tiers don't exist on random matchup or tournament wi-fi battles. If it's organized between two people though, they can choose to follow tiers if they want.
3. Wi-Fi rules are here for random matchups, and there's also flat battle rules for battles in the Union Room. dewhinifier already listed Smogon/PO's.
4. Hacked Pokemon are pretty much the universal rule, but there's also "common courtesy" such as not disconnecting to avoid a loss. Other than that, anything goes on wi-fi, and simulators typically have "clauses" of things that can be used on wi-fi, but are generally banned due to balance issues, or being too luck dependent (evasion, 1HKO moves, etc.).
5. The metagame may change but the metagame is not absolute. Keep in mind tiers are based on usage, but there are usually some Pokemon that, despite being UU-tiered, can still perform well in OU. At the end of the day though, some Pokemon are just better than others. You wouldn't use Pidgeot when Staraptor and Braviary are so much better, for instance (it's a simplistic answer but there are more like that).