• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ask a Question Thread - READ FIRST POST

Eaglehawk

Banned
Not really a competitive mechanic question, but I tried accessing Smogon and PS, but both are giving me connection errors. Are they down or something?

KillerDraco

Not really a competitive mechanic question, but I tried accessing Smogon and PS, but both are giving me connection errors. Are they down or something?

Seems that way. It's been like that since Friday, I believe.

varanus_komodoensis

they call me Varanus

Smogon got ddos attacked again and idk about ps which was working up to about today.

I've been wondering about what's been going on with Smogon, too. What's ddos?

If you need to see a page from Smogon, you can access cached copies of it. I'm using Google Chrome and after I get the "this page is not available" error, it provides a link to a cached copy, so I can see what was current as of a week ago.

ChaosBlizzard

Crit Happens.

Eaglehawk

Banned
PS is back online now.

Maybe the people over at the Pokemon Online forums sent the DDOS :p

EDIT: nvm it just crashed again.

Raravian

Ditto Pimp
Smogon's back on for me, so I'm just going to go ahead and ask something that wasn't exactly clear to me yet, something I can't really ask on Smogon (sorry for these continues questions):
Is it OK to use flawless OU legendaries on wi-fi? Do other people use legends? Flawless or not? Because I can RNG them easily, it just... feels... unfair... for some reason. On a simulator there's no problem, because everybody has access to everything. But I don't know about wi-fi... What's the standard?

ChaosBlizzard

Crit Happens.
Smogon's back on for me, so I'm just going to go ahead and ask something that wasn't exactly clear to me yet, something I can't really ask on Smogon (sorry for these continues questions):
Is it OK to use flawless OU legendaries on wi-fi? Do other people use legends? Flawless or not? Because I can RNG them easily, it just... feels... unfair... for some reason. On a simulator there's no problem, because everybody has access to everything. But I don't know about wi-fi... What's the standard?

If it came naturally out of your game, it's fair play. If your game generated it as opposed to an outside tool, it's obviously legit.

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
Ok, so a few quick question concerning OU Doubles. If I'm running a team based around Tailwind, should I be worried about having only one Pokemon to set up Tailwind, or should I opt to add Tailwind on a second Pokemon? (Latios is my potential candidate here.)

Leading into my next question, since I'm running a team based on Tailwind, should Latios (considering maximum speed investment) be running a Modest nature over Timid, or is that speed really necessary? (Latios is my only sweeper with reasonably high speed excluding Tailwind.)

Dragonicwari

Artistically angry
Ok, so a few quick question concerning OU Doubles. If I'm running a team based around Tailwind, should I be worried about having only one Pokemon to set up Tailwind, or should I opt to add Tailwind on a second Pokemon? (Latios is my potential candidate here.)

Leading into my next question, since I'm running a team based on Tailwind, should Latios (considering maximum speed investment) be running a Modest nature over Timid, or is that speed really necessary? (Latios is my only sweeper with reasonably high speed excluding Tailwind.)

It's always good to have a back up and I'd recommend timid in case they are using fast pokes when the wind is down

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
It's always good to have a back up and I'd recommend timid in case they are using fast pokes when the wind is down

Okay, so that's what I was thinking too. In the end, that means I only have one change to make, and that's teaching Latios Tailwind. (Not like I use Hidden Power Fire much in Doubles).

Supremacy

Shiny Hunter
Ok, so I'm gonna begin breeding Swinub soon but I'm stuck between two egg moves.. Should I give it Icicle Crash or Icicle Spear?

I know each have their uses but which is better overall?

KillerDraco

Ok, so I'm gonna begin breeding Swinub soon but I'm stuck between two egg moves.. Should I give it Icicle Crash or Icicle Spear?

I know each have their uses but which is better overall?

Crash. It's a more reliable, strong STAB overall when you don't need the priority of Ice Shard, while Spear is kind of a niche move for breaking subs/focus sash/multiscale.

ChaosBlizzard

Crit Happens.
I've used a Mamoswine for all of this past generation and Icicle Crash's flinch chance has actually been the difference between winning and losing more times than I can remember. You'd be surprised how much that little bonus helps. Against things I know I outspeed and that take the same amount from EQ and Crash but that I can't finish in the next hit, I'll sometimes go for Crash just to chance the flinch, and it works remarkably frequently.