1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Ask a Question Thread - READ FIRST POST

Discussion in 'Older Gens' started by Ragnarok, Sep 27, 2010.

1. Astrint

Astrint Breeding Star

I have a question about Regigigas. If its ability were to change to insomnia before slow start wore off via worry seed, would its stats stay the same or revert to normal? I was thinking of how to use it and the only place I can imagine it being useful would be in the doubles and triples battles.

2. Yeah, they'll return back to normal.

3. Astrint

Astrint Breeding Star

Thank you~ Good, now I know what I can do with my lvl 4 Regigigas ^^

4. T-Bolt

T-Bolt Electrifying.

what are the good special walls in RU?

5. Ísjaki

Ísjaki Flood Of Red

amoonguss and slowking can work, regenerator is nice.
    cryogonal is pretty specially bulky, and has access to recover so it can absorb special hits it's pretty valuable as a rapid spinner though so i wouldn't use it as a dedicated wall
    uxie also has the stats, but no recovery outside of rest.(and using it as a support pokemon is much more appealing)

6. Cherche

Cherche Banned

Mandibuzz, Munchlax, Clefable, Drapion, & Hariyama (Rest Talk) are all decent choices.

7. Sparkbeat

Sparkbeat FLASH! AAAHHHAAA!

Munchlax is garbage...

Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
  8. leafgreen5050

leafgreen5050 grass type Prince

Is this the best wall in the game? Blissey+ schuckle :
    Schuckle has max defence and sp. defence , and blissey has max HP .
    Schuckle has the highest defences in the game , and blissey highest HP. Schuckle uses guard split to average his amazing defences with blisseys amazing sp. defence and weak defence. When the highest HP and defences are combined , blissey becomes THE NIGHTMARE OF ALL WALLS! I'm terrible at competitive battling so pleace have mercy. Tell me if there is a flaw or ways to improve this combo. Thnx

9. Sparkbeat

The problem with these two Pokemon are that they are both set-up bait for many things (Shuckle more than Blissey) and they can be broken through by many common physical attackers in the OU tiers, such as Terrakion, Landorus-T (SD/Double Dance), Keldeo, Conkeldur, Reuiniclus, and I'm sure there are more than aren't popping in my head right now. The main problem with this core is that Shuckle lacks reliable recovery, which can be mended by Blissey's access to wish, but with hazards and the powerhouses of Gen 5, this strategy is unlikely to hold up for long. Really, to improve this you should drop Shuckle, as there are many walls that can do his job better because they A) Have reliable recovery and/or B) Have some sort of offensive presence. Also in the future, can you include movesets so we can see how exactly you're playing the core? It would help us answer your questions much easier.

10. mars714

mars714 I'm a Raichu.

Hello, I'm having trouble chooseing 6 dependable pokemon for my team. I have a lot of EV trained pokemon with descent move sets, yet no 6 seem to work together. I attempted to make a rain team, but it fell apart in battle. All I really want to do is beat this friend of mine at our pokemon play meeting. He runs with Zapdos and Garchomp in the lead.(we double battle)

So I suppose the core question is how do find six pokemon that fit together?

The pokemon I do have ready are:

Dragonite (rain tank-sorta)
    Armaldo (swift swim)
    Politoad (drizzle)
    Toxicroak
    Vaporeon (hydration rest)
    Swoobat (simple)
    Staraptor
    Cacturne
    Cradily
    Chandelure
    Espeon (magic bounce)
    Gliscor (poison heal)
    Sharpedo (speed boost)
    Ferrothorn
    Lucario
    Zedstrika
    Volcarona
    Sceptile
    Togekiss (choice scarf)

I can post movesets upon request or change their movesets to fit a team. Does anyone see 6 that would fit together?

(I apologize if this post is not in the right place, I wasn't quite sure where it should go.)

11. Sparkbeat

The best I can come up with from a quick glance is Politoed/Toxicroak/Ferrothorn/Dragonite or Volcarona/Gliscor/Sharpedo. If you had a Starmie, I would suggest Politoed/Toxicroak/Ferrothorn/Dragonite/Volcarona/Starmie.

12. mars714

mars714 I'm a Raichu.

I have a non EV trained Starmie, I can use that while I train a Starmie. Thanks for the advice, I'll try it.

13. Pidjiken

Pidjiken IV Breeder

So.. I made a thread but it never showed up, so here's a copy paste.

So I've been playing since Gen 1 wayy wayy back. When Gen 2 came around I got into breeding, and still now into gen 5 all I've ever really focused on is breeding, however, for the first time I find that I actually want a competitive team to play with to have a little extra fun on the side.

So this bring me to the actual point of this thread. I literally know nothing about the competitive scene or what kind of pokemon I'd need in your standard team. I've been searching around and I see all these terms of support and ****.

I would like a drought team, I have a very good hidden power ground shiny vulpix that I had traded for some months back, I do not know how I should EV train it, I've been stumped for a long time on this and have found myself just staring at it for months now. I've seen smogons page on sun teams but I'm still very confused.

Past this I have no idea what kind of composition I should make. Are supports required? Is this like a card game in which I need x amount of walls, x amount of support, x amount of fire types, x amount of grass types, etc etc etc. I'm basically just looking for information on how to proceed on figuring out what to breed to create my Sun team.

If you can help me feel free to ask any questions, I'll answer whatever I need to.

14. Sparkbeat

Just an fyi, bumping is more of a if you get no replies within a week thing. Not just after a few days. I'll answer your question when I get home, because easier to type and can get links.

15. Klaus™

Klaus™ Banned

Your thread needs to get approved by a moderator before it shows up in the 5th gen Standard sub-forum. Obviously it didn't get approved.

16. Dragonicwari

Dragonicwari Artistically angry

Contrail should still give you his opinion, I don't have as much experience with sun as I would like.

Smogon has various beginners guides and threads about how to start. The best way to learn about the meta is to play yourself or go through Smogon. McDanger has made a fairly good core thread that you could use to help you get started, I'm sure there are sun oriented cores there. Beyond that I'm just going to aim at the team building oriented part of this, I'll try to explain everything as I go.

If you are using hp ground Ninetales it will probably be offensive, so you will probably want a set like this to bait Heatran (aka ohko/do a lot of damage to Heatran with hp ground after someone switches it into Ninetales):

Ninetales @ leftovers
    Drought
    Timid
    4 hp/ 252 sp atk/ 252 spe
    - Hidden Power (Ground)
    - Fire Blast
    - Solarbeam/ Energy Ball
    - Sunny Day/ Roar

You don't need x amount of walls or y amount of sweepers. I believe most successful sun teams actually run more offensively than defensively (someone please correct me if I am wrong here). Having a specific amount of fire and grass mons is kinda not always going to work. If you are just going for a really standard sun team you are going to want Dugtrio for trapping TTar and Politoed (arena trap lets it trap mons, then it can try to ko, this is best done on weakened mons or with a sash intact considering duggy's poor bulk), a chlorophyll sweeper like Venusaur or Sawsbuck, a fire type to take advantage of the sun, Ninetales obviously, and a spinner like Tentacruel (who also counters rain) or Forre (who also gives you rocks). The last member should either give you hazards, be an anti weather mon, or another abuser of the sun.

My biggest suggestion though is to make a team on Pokemonshowdown.com and start playing. You can get a lot of battles quickly and learn more than if you try playing with wifi. Most people can get 3-4 good battles on PS in the time it takes them to get 1 or 2 battles on wifi

Bumping isn't allowed, you may want to delete those posts.

17. Sparkbeat

Yeah, Dragonic's right. Use PS to test, and if you're set on using HP Ground Ninetails, may as well use a lure set. Here's some links to guides on Serebii that should help.

Teambuilding Basics: http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?616284-Teambuilding-Ins-and-Outs
    Sun Team Guide: http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?616000-Weather-Guide-Sun
    Here's a nice guide for how to EV Train: http://www.smogon.com/bw/articles/bw_ev

For EV's in general, it really depends on what role you want a Pokemon to preform. Generally, an offensive Pokemon will use 252 (Special) Attack for max power, and 252 Speed so it can strike as fast as possible, with a nature boosting whichever of these it needs a boost on. However, if you need an offensive Pokemon to be able to survive a hit from a certain Pokemon's move, then you would take ev's out of whichever of the two currently invested stats (Speed and [Special] Attack) is less necessary and add it to your HP stat. On walls you typically invest 252 in HP and 252 in whatever kind of wall they are, special of physical. Since you're new, I would recommend starting with the suggested EV spreads on Smogon until you get more competitive experience and know exactly what you want whatever Pokemon to be able to do.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  18. Pidjiken

Pidjiken IV Breeder

Thanks a lot ^_^

19. SilverChiko

SilverChiko Protect The Smiles!

I'm just wondering what is a good set for Bayleef in NU or RU?

Thanks in advance.

20. Cherche

Cherche Banned