• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ask a Question Thread - READ FIRST POST

Shadowking

Picture me Rollin
whats a good ev spread for a timid 31 ivs in speed, special attack, hp, 28 in defense and 13 in special defense serperior ?cheers :)

would 100 hp 156 spa 252 spe be a good spread?

Ritzii

3v3 is the only option for single random matches (as far as I'm aware anyway).

Thanks a lot for your help anyways, once I've got the team sorted maybe we can have a battle and you can give me some pointers?

SSuperFreaKK

Hoenn Trainer
What's better for a chandelure? Flash Fire or Flame Body?

Shadowking

Picture me Rollin
flashfire, it gives immunity to firetype moves and is good for switch ins. flame body is a waste

SSuperFreaKK

Hoenn Trainer
Well I was thinkin that, but I wasn't sure. Thanks!!

Also, I'm planning an evoilite Dusclops with

Will-o-Wisp
Pain Split
Skill Swap

Now, I can't decide whether the last move should be Embargo or Gravity.

Does anyone have a suggestion or other way to make my Dusclops better?

SerenadeSP

My Loyal Feraligatr
Reposting from last page:

In Rotation Battles, will Intimidate and similar effects activate even if the Pokemon is not up front upon being sent out?

cantab

What's the best way to find out the IVs of your pokemon? Is it still "save, give the newly born pokemon 49 rare candies, put the stats in an IV calculator, then restart"?
Battle Subway will auto-level you up to 50. The IV judge in the station will confirm whether you've got any flawless IVs. Combined, they're good enough for almost all purposes.

SuperFreak: Gravity if you want to run a Gravity team. (The key thing is Gravity reduces Evasion, so you can always pack stuff like Focus Blast and Thunder and not worry about misses. You can also fire off Earthquakes with impunity; but equally, you can't switch into them safely, so don't carry stuff like Levitate Bronzong). Embargo sounds weird, I'm not sure what it'd be good for. (Skill Swap seems odd too, what exactly do you want to take the ability of?) Substitute is a good idea with Pain Split. You may want to pack an attack to avoid being Taunt and Trickscarf bait; given its low offenses, I'd consider Night Shade

cantab

You breed. 3 IVs from the parents will be randomly chosen and inherited by the baby. You can drastically improve, if not guarantee, one IV is inherited by having the parent hold the relevant power item.
Even without a Power Item, if one parent has a flawless IV (say SpAtk) and another has a flawless IV (say Speed), then there's a 1 in 144 chance of the egg having flawless SpAtk and Speed, which is quite reasonable. Power Items make matters easier (but of course you need to Battle Subway for them, and that's made easier if you already have great Pokemon). If you've caught lots of Pokemon, you may already have some with two, or perhaps even three, flawless IVs. Breeding and egg hatching can be a bit tedious, but you can do it while watching TV or listening to the radio or something.

Smogon has a draft 5th Gen breeding guide. Smogon's down now, but when it's back up, look in Contributions & Corrections > Articles for it.

SSuperFreaKK

Hoenn Trainer
Well my Dusclops is just part of my Hoenn Team. (All pokes from Hoenn) He's my Staller/Crippler. There's a lot better abilities out there than pressure, and taking away a good ability from my opponent could be crippling to them. I was planning gravity beforehand, I just had the thought for embargo.

Canto

What's the best Nature and EV spread for a Houndoom running Dark Pulse, Flamethrower, Thunder Fang, and Nasty Plot?

kaiser soze

Reading ADWD
What's the best Nature and EV spread for a Houndoom running Dark Pulse, Flamethrower, Thunder Fang, and Nasty Plot?

im going out on a limb and say adamant to boost your attack for thunder fang, since you have nasty plot already. however, if TF is for water types, try solar beam as part of a sun team. far more power, and covers ground and rock weaknesses as well. if so go timid for speed boost

If you're running only thunder fang, change it to Hp Electric, and run Timid with 252 SpA/Spe.

@ the above poster, solarbeam is a horrible idea. All the other person has to do is see you use solarbeam, switch in a weather inducer, and then your stuck charging for a 60 BP move

Canto

If you're running only thunder fang, change it to Hp Electric, and run Timid with 252 SpA/Spe.

@ the above poster, solarbeam is a horrible idea. All the other person has to do is see you use solarbeam, switch in a weather inducer, and then your stuck charging for a 60 BP move

I always forget about Hidden Power for some reason. But wouldn't Grass be better, as Grass covers most of Houndoom's weaknesses?

Grass or electric would work. Iirc fire/flying/dark gives it the best nuetral coverage, but grass helps with stupid things like Rhyperior and Quagsire

Masteryoshimon

PokeAnalyzer
Would a Physical Sweeper Carracosta be better if it ran 252 HP/252 Attk/ 4 Def or
252 Def/ 252 Attk/ 4 HP? Assume that it's running Adamant, and is using Shell Smash, Waterfall/Aqua Tail, Stone Edge, and Earthquake

Run max speed, although even with max speed and adamant it fails to outspeed base 100's after a shell smash (it hits 326 Spe), so I'd recommend Jolly. And Aqua Jet might be preferable over Waterfall/Aqua Tail, so you can kill Excadrill before it touches you

Masteryoshimon

PokeAnalyzer
Run max speed, although even with max speed and adamant it fails to outspeed base 100's after a shell smash (it hits 326 Spe), so I'd recommend Jolly. And Aqua Jet might be preferable over Waterfall/Aqua Tail, so you can kill Excadrill before it touches you

Sorry that was a misnomer, I meant Physical Wall. So which would max survivability? Max HP or Max Defence?

How about a curse set? Run careful 252 HP/SpD, and use it in sand, I can't remember the exact specs off the top of my head, but it has 400 something defense and 300+ SpD after a curse, plus either solid rock or sturdy