• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ask a Question Thread - READ FIRST POST

SynchronizeTime

Damn Smogon is down. Anyway, is my set correct for Abomasnow? I'm starting a Hail Team and Abomasnow is a staple on every Hail Team.

Abomasnow @ Leftovers
Nature: Relaxed
EV Spread: 252 HP / 160 Def / 76 SpA / 20 Spe
-Blizzard
-Leech Seed
-Substitute
-Grass Knot

The EV Spread I chose is to balance out all his needed stat in order to survive longer. If he's down and the weather changes, I'm screwed. Fighting Pokemon are running amok so I chose the Relaxed nature and 160 Def, hoping to survive something. 20 Spe is really just for outspeeding random stuff and blast them with Blizzard or whatsoever.

EDIT: Btw, is BrightPowder Froslass allowed?

Primera Stark

Wicked like Gengar
Ah, thank you about BoltBeam combo answer. I thought it did something extra that I wasnt aware about.

I am still trying to get a DW Nidoran, I want a DW Nidoking that is Special Sweeper. =)

Damn Smogon is down. Anyway, is my set correct for Abomasnow? I'm starting a Hail Team and Abomasnow is a staple on every Hail Team.

Abomasnow @ Leftovers
Nature: Relaxed
EV Spread: 252 HP / 160 Def / 76 SpA / 20 Spe
-Blizzard
-Leech Seed
-Substitute
-Grass Knot

The EV Spread I chose is to balance out all his needed stat in order to survive longer. If he's down and the weather changes, I'm screwed. Fighting Pokemon are running amok so I chose the Relaxed nature and 160 Def, hoping to survive something. 20 Spe is really just for outspeeding random stuff and blast them with Blizzard or whatsoever.

Giga Drain > Grass Knot unless you really need to 2HKO Tyranitar. It has 75 Base Power now and can help keep you alive when TTar continuously switches in. Another set to try is Choice Scarf since it checks a lot of stuff in the metagame.

EDIT: Btw, is BrightPowder Froslass allowed?

Depends on which server. Smogon no, pretty much every other server yes.

SSuperFreaKK

Hoenn Trainer
So is it a good idea to give Milotic a flame orb to activate marvel scale?

SSuperFreaKK

Hoenn Trainer
Well, you can use it in a team.

cantab

You could make use of Multiscale with a bulky set with Roost, maybe Toxic as well, Draco Meteor, Fire Blast.

Or you could just got for a banded or scarfed special attacker, relying on support to keep Rocks, Sand, and Hail away, and Multiscale to protect it from Ice Sharders.

If keeping rocks and damaging weather away is too problematics, you could maybe run lefties to offset Sand or Hail, and have a Wish user to heal off Nite's SR damage on a set with Nite lacking Roost.

Primera Stark

Wicked like Gengar
Is it really worth it to use Choice Specs over Wise Glasses on Gengar AND Choice Band over Muscle Band on Excadrill?

poke-lord

is king's rock serene grace air slash togekiss legal?

HAX

ON most rules, no, but others may allow hax items.

Is Alomomola any good competively?

Dattebayo

Banned
What's the best physical set for Serperior, and is this a decent set for Gavantula:

Gavantula@Focus Sash?
Timid/Modest Nature
EV Spread: 252 SpA/252 Speed/4 HP
- Quiver Dance
- Volt Change
- Bug Buzz
- Energy Ball/HP Water/HP Ice

Quiver Dance and Volt Change would help boost up one of your Pokemon who needs the extra speed.

What's the best physical set for Serperior, and is this a decent set for Gavantula:

Gavantula@Focus Sash?
Timid/Modest Nature
EV Spread: 252 SpA/252 Speed/4 HP
- Quiver Dance
- Volt Change
- Bug Buzz
- Energy Ball/HP Water/HP Ice

Quiver Dance and Volt Change would help boost up one of your Pokemon who needs the extra speed.

Fairly certain the hairy spider doesn't get quiver dance, and also, volt change/u-turn don't pass boosts

AromaFlora

floofy
@DatteBayo, Galvantula doesn't learn Quiver Dance, sadly (it would be awesome if it did).

Serperior's best set would probably be a SubSeed set.

Serperior @ Leftovers
Overgrow
Timid
4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
- Leaf Storm / Grass Knot
- Hidden Power Fire
- Substitute
- Leech Seed

Doesn't really have many other options. Glare can be used I guess for the paralysis (paralyzing stuff like Heatran, Latios, and Salamence is good). Otherwise, your typical Grass STAB, HP Fire to take care of Bugs, Steels, and other Grasses, Substitute to block status and critical hits, and Leech Seed to stall the opponent to death while recovering HP. Doesn't really need max HP to perform well; it's better to buffer its pathetic SpA to something usable.

Galvantula's best set would look something like:

Galvantula @ Life Orb / Choice Specs
Compoundeyes
Timid
4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
- Thunder
- Bug Buzz
- Hidden Power Ice
- Volt Switch / Energy Ball

Pretty basic special attacking set. It's all it can do really, but it's not that bad. Thunder gets an accuracy boost by 30%, which is great. Bug Buzz, I think you know what it does. Hidden Power Ice is needed to eradicate Ground, Dragon, and Flying Pokemon, mainly Gliscor. The last slot is filler to an extent, but Volt Switch offers the ability to deal light damage while switching. Energy Ball tickles non-Gliscor or Landorus Ground-types better than Hidden Power Ice (Excadrill even though it's part Steel, Hippowdon, and the rare Swampert I guess).

iBlade

For a quick education:

What are the staple attacks of the game that you pretty much take on any mon if they are available to it?

Dattebayo

Banned
I meant Physical set, Serperior hasn't gotten Perversity yet, and that's strange, Smogon listed Gavantula learning Quiver Dance at the Uncharted Territory section.

Run leaf blade over Leaf Storm, switch the nature to Jolly, drop Hp fire for glare or coil, or some other filler, and leave it like that I guess

Dattebayo

Banned
Run leaf blade over Leaf Storm, switch the nature to Jolly, drop Hp fire for glare or coil, or some other filler, and leave it like that I guess

I really can't see how a Jolly Serperior with Leaf Blade, Coil, Leech Seed, and Substitute work as by the time you finished seeding your opponent's team and use Coil the next turn, your opponent will OHKO Serperior with a strong STAB move.