• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ask a Question Thread - READ FIRST POST

Pichu47

Fear Me, If You Dare
^It's just a wasted item, not really worth it.

Tbird

Nice shot, man
Is wide lens, dual chop a good combo? Dual chop goes up to 99% accuracy. Or is it just a waste of an item. If it is a waste of an item. What is another good item for garchomp other than yache berry and choice band? Any help would be appreciated.

Choice scarf. It's its niche over its over dragon brethren.

Dattebayo

Banned
Is this a good-enough set for Genesect:

Genesect@Water Cassette
Ability: Download
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe (is it too much?)
Nature: Naive/Timid
- Rock Polish
- Bug Buzz
- Ice Beam/Flamethrower/Thunderbolt
- Techno Buster (Water)

Techno Buster is kind of worthless. Not only is it rather weak, but the loss of an item slot is very costly. Just use one of his other moves in the final slot, such as Flamethrower with Ice Beam. A Life Orb could work well on him.

Dattebayo

Banned
Techno Buster is kind of worthless. Not only is it rather weak, but the loss of an item slot is very costly. Just use one of his other moves in the final slot, such as Flamethrower with Ice Beam. A Life Orb could work well on him.

But then he won't have anything against its only weakness for coverage, which forces you to use either HP Water, HP Rock, or HP Ground (Which the other types they have an advantage on can already be taken care of with one of the elemental beams).

But then he won't have anything against its only weakness for coverage, which forces you to use either HP Water, HP Rock, or HP Ground (Which the other types they have an advantage on can already be taken care of with one of the elemental beams).

There's nothing wrong with using HP to cover weaknesses. It hits hard enough to deal with most Fires, and ones it won't beat are ones you shouldn't be staying in on anyways. Factoring LO which Techno Buster variants can't use, HP probably hits harder anyway, plus it gives a boost to his other attacking moves as well.

Blue Monarch

Lonely Heart
HP sucks. Period. 70 base power doesn't cut it even for W4s in general. Techno Buster for Water is fine. I don't see how else it'll defend itself against Fires without some other secondary typing lest they be 4x weak to a certain Hidden Power.

Hard enough? If it's not 100% damage or more to a Fire Pokemon, that's not enough :|
Yes, lack of STAB hurts, but with entry hazards and LO support, it usually is enough to take frail fires down.

But if anyone were to run Techno Buster on Genesect, the only one worth using is Aqua Cassette because Genesect is already able to learn Thunderbolt/Flamethrower/Ice Beam, so it has no use for the other three cassettes.

Blue Monarch

Lonely Heart
:609:Unova Choice Scarf Chandelure Counters:609:​

If Shadow Tag: None, as you cannot switch in at all. If trapped Pokemon has Shadow Tag ability or is carrying a Shed Shell, read below, but remember there is NO Flash Fire, so feel free to nail it with some Fire moves, though I don't know why you would want to.

Not Shadow Tag: Hydreigon resists both of Chandelure's STAB, can outpace it and hit it with STAB Dark moves. If it only had Pursuit... ah well. Volcarona has the ability to set up Quiver Dances and if it's the Chesto Rest version with bulk, even better. However, it needs some sort of Hidden Power coverage move to hit Chandelure. Flash Fire versions take 0 damage from Fire Blast and Chandelure resists Bug Buzz 4x. I know no one uses this guy, but Heatmor can come in and absorb a Fire Blast thanks to Flash Fire and has a whole repertoire of Dark moves such as Sucker Punch and I believe he also has Pursuit to scare them away. He might be the "best counter" against the Scarf Chandelure out of all Unova Pokemon, in fact, but watch out for Shadow Ball or some stray super effective Hidden Powers. But Fire Blasts are very predictable. Terrakion resists Fire Blast and isn't OHKOd by Shadow Ball and can hit back with STAB Stone Edge, but he might need a Scarf too because if you switched into a Chandelure using Energy Ball, that's badadadadadadadadadadadadadadadadadadadadadadad (or plasbad for short). Watch out for random chance of burns as well. I suppose Keldeo can do the same, but he isn't even released yet. I WANT to say Mandibuzz works, but I'm not so sure if Fire Blast HURTS a lot or something, as mine took around 44% from a Gengar's Thunderbolt, but Shadow Ball is easy to switch in to, Torment can mess with these Choice Scarf Chandelure, and she has Toxic/Whirlwind shuffling to get rid of it and works well with Stealth Rocks in the fields. Roost will recover her lost health.

In short: :635: :637: :630: :639: :631: :647:

Blue Monarch

Lonely Heart
That all depends on your team and what you need. Problem with Choice Scarf Haxorus though is that there are still base 100 + who will outpace you with a Scarf too, and even if 147 Atk is quite high, it won't hit hard enough without a booster of any kind and even though I don't like playing the "it is outclassed by something else" card, it kind of applies here. There are much faster Dragons who revenge better, despite lower power, such as Garchomp who also has STAB Earthquake, Lati@s with base 110 Speed, etc... I wouldn't Scarf it for the most part. It's probably best to put a Choice Band to hit as hard as you can with it, since that's the main selling point of Haxorus, which works very well with Paralysis support. As for DD Haxorus, it can turn stuff like Skarmory into an instant setup bait with TAUNT and Mold Breaker ensures Levitating Pokemon can still be picked off by Earthquake. It takes no brains to realise Haxorus's Outrage hurts like a dump truck. But to get this guy setting up, you need to pick off threats like Skarmory and many others that won't get hit reliably by Earthquake immediately.

Again, think of what your team benefits with, or if you want to build a team around a DD Haxorus to sweep. It is entirely up to what you have and how you play them.

Pengyzu

After hours of breeding and hatching, I found a good candidate for my Politoed. A Bold Swift Swim Poliwag with no IVs below 24 and 3 perfect IVs (namely, def, sp.atk and sp. def) I find this a really good find since I don't RNG

Sadly, the problem is, it's Bold, -Attack (good) + defense (supposedly calm for sp. defense) But after checking the iv calc. It seems the next in line beneficial one only excels by 10 in sp. def but has lower stats compared to this one. So my question is. Would Bold still be fine on this set

Standard Specially Defensive

Politoed @Drizzle
Item - Leftovers
Nature - Supposedly Calm (-Atk + Sp.D) [Bold is -Atk +D]
EVs: 252 HP; 252 Sp.Def; 4 Def

Move 1: Scald
Move 2: Toxic
Move 3: Protect
Move 4: Encore

Tbird

Nice shot, man
Personally on a bulky water I'm not really huge on making it a one dimensional wall, anyway. So Bold should be fine. I think I run something similar, in any case; 252 HP / Small Def Invest / rest in SpD. You'll be switching Toed in on random Bulky waters for the most part taking an ice beam, or a surf so you won't really be needing Calm, and Calm wouldn't change the fact that a Spex Latios will probably still OHKO you with Draco Meteor, so it should be fine.

Pengyzu

LOL! I don't think my target (namely my cousins :p) will be carrying legends especially Lati@s. LOL! Thanks :) Well... basically, I focused on just surviving hits. Since it can't hit hard that much.

Plus... this is actually the first generation where in I actually try to make an incredible competitive team. Yay for me! Hopefully, I beat my favorite cousins this year :)

Hejiru

Rev up those fryers
I'm SRing the DW Espeon I got. The current one has a neutral nature, 30-31 IVs in SpAtk and Speed, and 0-9 in everything else. I was trying for a Timid or Modest Nature, but considering it has max IVs in the two most important stats for an Espeon, should I keep this one, or keep trying? Would a Timid Espeon w a low Speed IV have a higher or lower speed than a Serious one with 31 Speed IV?

Pokemon Emulators, I want to understand better why people use them? does anyone here use them? What are the advantages with using them, tips etc? Are they safe to use? And anything else you want to mention.

stenli

Flabebes
I'm SRing the DW Espeon I got. The current one has a neutral nature, 30-31 IVs in SpAtk and Speed, and 0-9 in everything else. I was trying for a Timid or Modest Nature, but considering it has max IVs in the two most important stats for an Espeon, should I keep this one, or keep trying? Would a Timid Espeon w a low Speed IV have a higher or lower speed than a Serious one with 31 Speed IV?

It depends on how low the IV is.
If I'm you, I'll keep the Espeon. 30 / 31 IV in SpA & Spe is a blessing on him.

kaiser soze

Reading ADWD
Pokemon Emulators, I want to understand better why people use them? does anyone here use them? What are the advantages with using them, tips etc? Are they safe to use? And anything else you want to mention.

a) this really isnt the place to discuss this, but since I used to use one I will answer

bottom line the advantage is to play pokemon while not paying for it. downloading them is usually free, but Illegal. Its like pirated music. the main disadvantage (and why I stopped and bought the real games) is that its hard to connect to other games for trades (and I really wanted stuff like gengar lol) and features like the GTS and wifi dont work. however they can be used to play older games (like 1st and 2nd gen) since its hard to find those games (and gameboys) actually working these days. also my emulator was real laggy with DP, which was another reson I bought it.