• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ask a Question Thread - READ FIRST POST

123fakestreet

Metalopolis King

Ludwig

Speaking of using things correctly, why isn't there Quiver Dance on Venomoth? I get the point of it being more of a wall then a sweeper (which I don't think is a good idea), but I think it's still much better than Struggle Bug.

It is a better set than defensive in most situations. But my goal was to find usable sets with struggle bug, not the best sets for pokémon that can learn struggle bug.
That a pokémon got decent offensive capabilities doesn't mean that its defensive capabilities should be ignored in all situations. One extreme example is Arceus, it got great offense and good stat boosting move(s), but that doesn't make it a bad wall, it can still use iron plate (for toxic immunity) with cosmic power, recover, toxic and seismic toss effectively.

Reo

Reflect/Light Screen

I've never actually used Light Screen or Reflect. I've only seen them in the BS on Mr. Mimes and Vaporeons I think. So, I guess my question is which pokemon should use Light Screen or Reflect, and why?

Ludwig

I've never actually used Light Screen or Reflect. I've only seen them in the BS on Mr. Mimes and Vaporeons I think. So, I guess my question is which pokemon should use Light Screen or Reflect, and why?

If you want to lead with it and use the screens early, it's good if the pokémon is fast enough to outspeed most taunt users.
The best users of it should be users that can survive long enough to use them several times, meaning that they should have good bulk before the screens are used and have reliable recovery, one example is meganium, who got good bulk, can use both screens and heal with synthesis.
Other options are:
Clefable, Mew, Xatu, Latias, Latios, Torterra, Togekiss, Cresselia, Deoxys(defense).

If you want to lead with it and use the screens early, it's good if the pokémon is fast enough to outspeed most taunt users.
The best users of it should be users that can survive long enough to use them several times, meaning that they should have good bulk before the screens are used and have reliable recovery, one example is meganium, who got good bulk, can use both screens and heal with synthesis.
Other options are:
Clefable, Mew, Xatu, Latias, Latios, Torterra, Togekiss, Cresselia, Deoxys(defense).

Yeah. Espeon and Azelf are by far the best dual screeners in OU. Venturing into UU, you face things like Deoxys-D and Xatu. In RU, Uxie and Claydol are good choices, and in NU you have Mesprit.

wildbiscuit

One Tough Cookie
It is a better set than defensive in most situations. But my goal was to find usable sets with struggle bug, not the best sets for pokémon that can learn struggle bug.
That a pokémon got decent offensive capabilities doesn't mean that its defensive capabilities should be ignored in all situations. One extreme example is Arceus, it got great offense and good stat boosting move(s), but that doesn't make it a bad wall, it can still use iron plate (for toxic immunity) with cosmic power, recover, toxic and seismic toss effectively.

I get that you made a defensive set, even though that's not the best set it has. You can use Quiver Dance as an improved Struggle Bug; instead of lowering opponent's special attack you are raising your special defense, achieving the same with an added bonus of increasing special attack and speed. Don't you think that's better?

Ludwig

I get that you made a defensive set, even though that's not the best set it has. You can use Quiver Dance as an improved Struggle Bug; instead of lowering opponent's special attack you are raising your special defense, achieving the same with an added bonus of increasing special attack and speed. Don't you think that's better?

It's situation based. Struggle bug's effect stick until the opponent returns to the ball, quiver dance lasts until Venomoth returns to the ball.

In general, I think that quiver dance is better for Venomoth, just like I wrote that light screen is better than struggle bug for defensive Scyther. But if I had replaced those moves, they wouldn't be on the list of usable struggle bug users.

Regardless, Struggle Bug isn't that good of a move, and generally speaking the pokemon that could use it either have better moves to use instead, or are so frail it doesn't make a difference.

ashsinnoh

What's a good spinblocker for a sandstall team? I don't to want to run Jellicent, since I already have Tentacruel and Cradily on my team.

Sableye should fit ^^

Zachmac

What's a good spinblocker for a sandstall team? I don't to want to run Jellicent, since I already have Tentacruel and Cradily on my team.
Gengar, even though it's offensive, can take calm mind Reuniclus one on one, which is great for a stall team. If you want a more defensive approach, there is also Dusclops, Cofagirus, and Sableye.

Generic User Name

I've tried it in DW to help Keldeo set up, and it worked well.

Yes, it does, especially if you're using a rain team, though it faces competition with Deoxys-D.

I know that Deoxys D outclasses it, but I specifically need Brozong for this team I am constructing. Thanks for the help, though!

Serpentine

Pokemon Breeder
I have a Stoutland and she knows Strength because she was the first Pokemon I caught and I used her when I went through Unova. Now I want to replace Strength with somethign since in Black and White after you push a boulder into a hole you no longer need it. So what should I replace it with? I don't like Giga Impact since you have to recharge and I don't like Retaliate since after you use when your partner faints you go back to 70 BP. So, thoughts?

Eaglehawk

Banned
I have a Stoutland and she knows Strength because she was the first Pokemon I caught and I used her when I went through Unova. Now I want to replace Strength with somethign since in Black and White after you push a boulder into a hole you no longer need it. So what should I replace it with? I don't like Giga Impact since you have to recharge and I don't like Retaliate since after you use when your partner faints you go back to 70 BP. So, thoughts?

Is your Stoutland friendly with you? If it is, I would suggest Return. At maximum friendliness, it becomes a strong base 102 Normal attack (basically a normal type Earthquake). Frustration is the same thing, only that it hates you a lot.

Asbestospoison

Excellent Driver
Easy, Return. 102(IIRC) BP STAB move.