• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ask a Question Thread - READ FIRST POST

redcharzard

Semi-competitive
yeah the only reason i thought i knew something was that i was thinking about making a doubles team with ttar and excadrill as leads but i then i didnt see excadrill in the OU listings lol

Only the basic uber ban is in place for smogon rotation and wifi battles don't ban anything except for dark void, chatot,overpowered legendary pokemon, soul dew, and event legendary pokemon. So Tornadus-T, Thundurus, Blaziken, and Excadrill are all legal in rotations.

Do you guys think this could work?
Gliscor @ toxic orb
Poison heal
252 HP, 252 atk, 4 spd
Impish
Counter
Roost/Protect
Taunt
Earthquake

The idea is to taunt physical set-up sweepers, and use counter. If they are special, use earthquake. Roost heals you by alot, which is cool if you are really weakened. Protect lets you activate the orb, as well as stalling for poison heal healing.

TheAdmiral

Smell ya later
Do you guys think this could work?
Gliscor @ toxic orb
Poison heal
252 HP, 252 atk, 4 spd
Impish
Counter
Roost/Protect
Taunt
Earthquake

The idea is to taunt physical set-up sweepers, and use counter. If they are special, use earthquake. Roost heals you by alot, which is cool if you are really weakened. Protect lets you activate the orb, as well as stalling for poison heal healing.

The thread for this sort of thing is here http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?468192-Competitive-Single-Rates-READ-FIRST-POST but as a general overview this set has some merit but is probably inferior to the standard set for the following reasons.

If you taunt a physical sweeper, they are probably going to switch out rather than get walled by you, making counter a bit situational. Counter could be effective if you manage to catch somebody off guard but it is not something that can really be relied on. Earthquake is good for providing damage, but you will still struggle against many prominent special threats such as rotom-w. What I would recommend would be to take toxic over counter so that you can at least cripple these pokemon on the switch in. This would also let you stick those attack EVs in def to stop terrakion 2HKOing you (and similar). Just my two cents though so take it as you want.

Orithan

Does Prankster give any move generated from Assist (Liepard FTW) +1 priority or does it only give status moves the priority granted by Prankster?

White_Roar~

Mother Monster
Does Prankster give any move generated from Assist (Liepard FTW) +1 priority or does it only give status moves the priority granted by Prankster?

Prankster increases the priority of any status move allowing you to go first no matter what Pokemon your facing, no matter who's speed is better, and no matter what move you're using.

So in one shot: If Prankster is your ability, and you use any status move, it doesn't matter which, even from Assist. You will go first.

redcharzard

Semi-competitive

You do get +1 priority Assist and as a result the move that assist becomes has +1 Priority. Another example is dw Riolu using roar then priority copy cat and getting a +1 roar allowing it to shuffle teams to death.(provided you keep using copy cat)

White_Roar~

Mother Monster
Out of curiosity, What exactly is Competitive Pokemon? What is it about?

In despite of being a Competitive Pokemon Battler for almost 4 years, I've always wondered this... =\

Zachmac

In despite of being a Competitive Pokemon Battler for almost 4 years, I've always wondered this... =\
Competitive pokemon is just what the name implies; it's about competing. Each side does all they can to win.

Some people will call themselves "semi-competitive". Generally, these people don't take winning as seriously, usually by picking pokemon for design rather then viability, but they still try to use basic strategies, EVs, IVs, or moves.

redcharzard

Semi-competitive

Competitive pokemon is just what the name implies; it's about competing. Each side does all they can to win.

Some people will call themselves "semi-competitive". Generally, these people don't take winning as seriously, usually by picking pokemon for design rather then viability, but they still try to use basic strategies, EVs, IVs, or moves.

Competitive pokemon refers to Competitive pokemon battling (Example a tournament) or competitive play in which players attempt to build high quality teams via breeding, ev training, and or hacks/mods (pokegen or Action replays being good examples) and defeat their opponents with strategy and prediction.

I refer to myself as semi competitive since I do not go for perfect teams and do not use Pokemon online or other battle simulators(I generally don't participate in tournaments ether.)

Zachmac

I refer to myself as semi competitive since I do not go for perfect teams and do not use Pokemon online or other battle simulators(I generally don't participate in tournaments ether.)
Actually, you don't need to do any of these to be considered competitive.

Orithan

off current topic, but what would you guys think of heal pulse on a doubles lucario?

Lucario is really fragile. It has 70/70/70 defenses which makes it really easy to defeat, even with neutral attacks. Even if it does survive, it's Heal Pulses won't heal by very much. I would suggest giving Heal Pulse to something that can actually take hits and has more HP, like the pink blobs (read: Chansey and Blissey) or Alomomola so that you heal your allies more.

redcharzard

Semi-competitive
Lucario is really fragile. It has 70/70/70 defenses which makes it really easy to defeat, even with neutral attacks. Even if it does survive, it's Heal Pulses won't heal by very much. I would suggest giving Heal Pulse to something that can actually take hits and has more HP, like the pink blobs (read: Chansey and Blissey) or Alomomola so that you heal your allies more.

50 hp is a lot in double battles on the wifi since everything is lv 50 during those battles but like you said it has no place on Lucario due to Lucario's lacking defenses.

koolaidman594

(>^__^)> <(^__^<)
alright, thanks for the advice guys i was just leveling mine up and it caught me off guard because it learned heal pulse so it just got the gears turning lol

Zachmac

alright, thanks for the advice guys i was just leveling mine up and it caught me off guard because it learned heal pulse so it just got the gears turning lol
Well, according to Smogon a support Lucario actually is a viable option. It's pretty niche, but follow me, helping hand, and heal pulse are all very useful in double battles.

OceanicLanturn

Non non non!
Doubles Question:

If I have a Lightningrod Seaking and Luxray, and Luxray uses Discharge. Will it damage the foes Pokemon too?

Also, how useful is Intimidate in Doubles. Lastly,is a Liepard w/ Sunny Day + Cherrim viable?

Operia

Dark sky ruler
I have a question; what's the best counter for Grass-types in OU? I was hoping to use Swampert as my bulky water but I need to find a suitable counter for Grass-type attacks

koolaidman594

(>^__^)> <(^__^<)
quick question, if i upload pokemon to pokecheck to clone them, since the clones automatically get the premier ribbon, would i still be able to use them in tournaments and such? i know the premier ribbon prevents trading them on the GTS

redcharzard

Semi-competitive
quick question, if i upload pokemon to pokecheck to clone them, since the clones automatically get the premier ribbon, would i still be able to use them in tournaments and such? i know the premier ribbon prevents trading them on the GTS

I don't think so they would be viewed as hacked.

I have a question; what's the best counter for Grass-types in OU? I was hoping to use Swampert as my bulky water but I need to find a suitable counter for Grass-type attacks

Infernape, Heatran, Scizor, Volcarona, all have super effective stab attacks to handle grass types. Gastrodon kicked Swampert out of OU due to Storm drain's upgrade.

Doubles Question:

If I have a Lightningrod Seaking and Luxray, and Luxray uses Discharge. Will it damage the foes Pokemon too?

Also, how useful is Intimidate in Doubles. Lastly,is a Liepard w/ Sunny Day + Cherrim viable?

1. Yes its a spread attack like surf so it hits everything but the user.

2. Intimidate can really mess with a offensive team that has Physical attackers but Defiant can counter it.

3. For what NU? those 2 aren't really that good and your better off with Ninetails for sun.