• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ask a Question Thread - READ FIRST POST

Rebel562

Odd Teambuilder
Is there any competitive rule involving Aqua Ring? I keep getting told that my Blastoise legally shouldn't have Aqua Ring (ability: Rain Dish, every other move is either through level up or TM).

Dragonicwari

Artistically angry
There is no rule against aqua ring, but in short: aqua ring is an egg move and dw blastoise can't have it. A more in depth explanation below

Last that I checked dw Blastoise only has been released as male gendered. Aqua ring is an egg move for blastoise and thanks to Dream world breeding mechanics you cannot breed a male dw pokemon and get a dw pokemon from the eggs of the parent (in this case blastoise). Also, if you breed try to breed a pokemon, it is the female that determines what pokemon it is and male poiemon determine the egg moves. so if you wanted to breed aqua ring onto a blastoise it cannot be dw since there is no way to get a dw female blastoise through any breeding method.

Zachmac

Arcanine or Typhlosion?
It depends, but usually Arcanine is considered better most of the time though, since it gets Close Combat, Morning Sun, Wild Charge and Extreme Speed along with it's fire attacks, while Typhlosion has less reliable coverage.

It's bulk also may not look better then Typhlosion's, but it does get the ability intimidate, which really helps it take some hits better.

T-Bolt

Electrifying.
I was thinking of using defensive Haxorus running Adamant nature and 252hp, so if I was using a Haban berry, how many SpD EVs would I need to survive a Draco meteor from-

252 spAtk- a)Hydreigon b)Latios after stealth rock damage?

redcharzard

Semi-competitive
I was thinking of using defensive Haxorus running Adamant nature and 252hp, so if I was using a Haban berry, how many SpD EVs would I need to survive a Draco meteor from-

252 spAtk- a)Hydreigon b)Latios after stealth rock damage?

Generally speaking your looking at the wrong pokemon unless you really want a bulky pokemon that can dragon dance with mold breaker. Dragonite with its Multiscale ability and the berry should easily take draco meteor from both Hydreigon and Latios and without it multiscale intact it would need investment it would still be better suited due to its much higher s.def. Try max s.def on your Haxorus if it doesn't survive with a s.def boosting nature and max hp/s.def then don't bother with it if it does it well still suffer do to its lower uninvested or minimal invested speed.

Got it. Thanks.

And I also had another question, does Sawsbuck get STAB on Nature Power?

No nature power becomes earthquake on the wifi so Sawsbuck doesn't get stab on it.

Rebel562

Odd Teambuilder
I read on Smogon that Water-types generally carry Hidden Power Grass (if any HP). Why would that be? Grass hits the exact same things for SE damage as Water does, besides hitting Water for SE. And if you need to do that, wouldn't HP Electric be better, hitting Flying super-effectively as well instead of just repeating what your STAB moves hit?

Zachmac

I read on Smogon that Water-types generally carry Hidden Power Grass (if any HP). Why would that be? Grass hits the exact same things for SE damage as Water does, besides hitting Water for SE. And if you need to do that, wouldn't HP Electric be better, hitting Flying super-effectively as well instead of just repeating what your STAB moves hit?
Well, water types usually know Ice Beam, so hitting flying types in unnecessary.

Also, when picking extra moves, it's generally best to choose one that hits the types that resist your own. Grass, Dragon, and Water are the only types that resist water, and Ice hits both Grass and Dragon, leaving just water. Electric or Grass moves are usually preferred to hit water. Grass is generally used over electric because of the popularity of Gastrodon, who usually handles water types in general rather well.

Some may run HP fire to hit Ferrothorn, though, as that guy is also a popular counter to water types.

CaptPonyholder

Well, I complete Pokemon: Black 2 a while ago. Trying to build my "perfect team". Haven't done this since Gold/Silver days. However I want to try my hand at EV/IV training and have NO clue on how to do that.

A few questions:
1.) If my pokemon is going to be Evolved, do I need to get the right IV/EV before it evolves? Does it's nature change? Does its IV/EV change randomly when it evolves?
2.) Do I need to kill only certain pokemon to reach level 100 to get the right EV/IV or can I just kill whatever I want?

This is the team I want to build:
Vulpix/Ninetales -FIRE (Female) -Firana
Eevee/Glaceon -ICE (Female) - Kiori
Lilligant -GRASS (Female) - Lilly
Chandelure -GHOST/FIRE (Male) - Mephisto/Faustus
Musharna -PSYCHIC (Female) - Nera
Meloetta -NORMAL/PSYCHIC/FIGHTING (Female) - Venia

koolaidman594

(>^__^)> <(^__^<)
Well, I complete Pokemon: Black 2 a while ago. Trying to build my "perfect team". Haven't done this since Gold/Silver days. However I want to try my hand at EV/IV training and have NO clue on how to do that.

A few questions:
1.) If my pokemon is going to be Evolved, do I need to get the right IV/EV before it evolves? Does it's nature change? Does its IV/EV change randomly when it evolves?
2.) Do I need to kill only certain pokemon to reach level 100 to get the right EV/IV or can I just kill whatever I want?

This is the team I want to build:
Vulpix/Ninetales -FIRE (Female) -Firana
Eevee/Glaceon -ICE (Female) - Kiori
Lilligant -GRASS (Female) - Lilly
Chandelure -GHOST/FIRE (Male) - Mephisto/Faustus
Musharna -PSYCHIC (Female) - Nera
Meloetta -NORMAL/PSYCHIC/FIGHTING (Female) - Venia
IVs are set when you first get the pokemon, nature is also set, and EVs will not change in evolution, as for EVs if you go here http://www.serebii.net/games/evs.shtml itll teach you about EV training :)

samrules4

although this isn't directly about competitive battles, do you use all 6 pokemon in an infared multi battle? (causing a total of 12 pokemon per team)

samrules4

Each player uses 3 pokemon from their team if I remember correctly, making each "team" 6 pokemon total

so does that mean you have to select your pokemon similar to how you do it in online random matchups? or does it mean the first 3 pokemon in your party?

redcharzard

Semi-competitive
so does that mean you have to select your pokemon similar to how you do it in online random matchups? or does it mean the first 3 pokemon in your party?

It should be like in the battle subway so you pick your 3 before the battle begins. otherwise you might have all 6 on all 4 people.

thatjeremykid

.Memento.Mori.
infrared connection battles don't have team preview (i'm pretty sure) so they first 3 in your party would just be thrown out with no time to move them around before the battle started

makenshi_au

Experienced Trainer
I have to agree with CaptPonyholder when it comes to comp battles and the whole ev and iv training at times gets confusing no i will admit i use a cheat device like the AR just to check a pokemons progress but i will never alter anything else i fight properly and train properly like i know wwhich pokemon boost certin stats then when the wi fi comps start i always seem to get beat nearly every time i have won a hand full of matches but its the damage that always throws me of cos i attack and it only scratches the oppenent then they come along and drill me with a normal attack they also seem to go first nearly every time so if anyone can help me out would be great. I do also use alot of pokemon from the Coloseeum and XD Gale of Darkness Games on Black and White 2 with some of their egg moves do help out a bit.

Black 2 FC 2581 0988 8299.

^I would say that either you're using the wrong side of the spectrum (phisical moves on special attackers, etc.) or you aren't paying attention to natures. Beyond that, I don't know what could be going on. Maybe you just get really unlucky and usually get minimum damage?

CaptPonyholder

I am trying to breed an eevee with the correct Nature/Gender that I want for my Glaceon. However, I have no idea what IV set I need. One of my Eevee's has 6 in every stat. Another has 5's and one six in SpD.

Can anyone clear up where to find the correct IV's/EV's for a pokemon?

T-Bolt

Electrifying.
Does Quick Guard block non-attacking moves from prankster users? I was just thinking of using it on my Archeops on my doubles team as a counter to Fake Out.